Academy and Development Squad Developments (2019-20, now)

124»

Comments

• No need for Grady or Holland as we already have Anderson setting the world alight this season
  • Hamstew said:

Holland has scored again. This time a 30 yard solo goal. And you should see what Grady has just done for West Brom.

Let one go
  • edited November 2019
    Josh Cullen out for 2-3 months with ankle ligament damage, stretchered off on Saturday v Cardiff.

Poor lad, not only did he start every game in the Championship but he's been a regular in the Ireland squad since March and got his second cap in the friendly against New Zealand two weeks ago
  • West Brom would destroy us if we played them. Grady just humiliated a man.
  • Discussion about Bilic as manager moved to 'manager' thread as it's not really relevant to our Academy/Dev squad. :ok:
  • Because I am never satisfied with the number of minutes we give to young players at the club, I decided to take a look at minutes across Premier League teams over the current and previous seasons. I looked only at players who were 21 or under at the end of each season. I didn't look at the relegated clubs, but did look at the promoted clubs.

Last season, no team gave more minutes to U21 players than us (3,697 minutes) to 3 players. However, 4 teams gave minutes to more players (Arsenal - 6, Bournemouth - 5, Man Utd & Southampton - 4). Man Utd gave 31 minutes per game, and Southampton gave 54 minutes per game, so they were largely giving cameos, but Arsenal had 90 minutes per match go to an U21 player last year.

So far this season, Chelsea and Arsenal are the best for giving minutes ot young players. Chelsea have had 6 players U21 clock up 4,164 minutes at a rate of 181 minutes per match. Arsenal have had 7 clock up 3,819 minute at 166 minutes per match.

I wondered if there was a prime position in the league to be able to give more minutes to young players, and it seems to be that the easiest time to give minutes to young players is if you are safe but underachieving. If I'm, idk, Wolves, I'm not going to be giving loads of minutes to kids because I'm pushing for Europe. If I'm Man Utd, and I'm failing to hit my targets then I can get the fans onside by playing kids.

I also looked at Norwich & Aston Villa just to see what happens after a top Championship team gets promoted. Norwich have gone from 5 to 2, and dropped from 247 minutes per match down to 85 (partially because three of their regulars 'aged out'), and Villa dropped from 6 to 1, and dropped from 148 minutes per match down to 1.

This little chart shows the minutes per game from last year and this year. I've listed them in league position order from last season.

I don't know if this is interesting to you all, but then I never know and that's not stopped me before.
  • Alderz, out of curiosity how many of the 3697 minutes were Rice?

Were the other two Diangana and Johnson?
  • Champo :ok:

They were, and this season it’s been Rice and Holland. I can’t remember off the top of my head, but I think Johnson had 90 and Diangana had 650ish.

The thing is, most teams with high numbers had one regular who was in the bracket.

I’ll check it again later as it’s on a spreadsheet
  • Anthony Scully, 16 goals for the U23s this season, has joined Lincoln City on a permanent deal.

Both he and Joe Powell were doing well, but have left midway through the season. Considering the U23s are flying, I'm surprised we're letting these kids go now.
  • Scully was in the squad for the West Brom game and now he's gone.
  • edited February 2020
    I'm hoping it's more that he's seen Bowen come in, and Silva and Dju return from injury and wanted first team football, rather than Sullivan just clawing back some of the money he had to spend last month.
  • The U23s are in the 2nd Division.
  • So might the first team come the end of the season. :weep:
  • Holland starts for Oxford tonight which is BBC one.
  • Ex Academy player Marcus Browne also in the Oxford team tonight.
  • Nathan Holland scores an excellent goal for Oxford
  • The kids good.
  • He may be quite good but he’s a real weakling. He needs building up a bit as he was too easily knocked off the ball.
  • Thorn, a bit like Manu then. :biggrin:
  • edited July 2020
    Nathan Holland is one of six players nominated for the 2019/20 Premier League 2 Player of the Season award along with Billy Gilmour (Chelsea); Jahmal Hector-Ingram (Derby County); Curtis Jones (Liverpool); Liam Cullen (Swansea City); and Rayhaan Tulloch (West Bromwich Albion).
  • Didn't Jahmal Hector-Ingram leave us last season?
  • Good for him

However, think that we may see him leave soon

While he is up for this award, hes the oldest on that list (22 in comparison to Jones, Gilmour and Tulloch who are only 19)...and hes had a good but unspectacular loan in league 1

Think he'll get another season, maybe a championship loan to see whether he is good enough...but wouldnt surprise me to see him off like Browne, in a deal where we hopefully get some sell on fee
  • Didn't Jahmal Hector-Ingram leave us last season?

Indeed we did, another shining success for our youth development team!
  • edited July 2020
    He's been playing for Derby's kids though, hasn't he? ( Wiki says)
  • edited July 2020
    The award is for PL2 players but he was on the bench for the Championship game against Preston NE on 1 July and made his first team debut on 8 July, 6 minutes against WBA.
  • The U23s got promoted to 'division 1' of the Premier League 2.