Comments

• Inkooming transfer?
  • Crouch joins Burnley!
  • Batz has agreed to join Palace according to Sky
  • Sky saying Batshuayi has agreed terms with a pl club ;hmm
  • I wonder if he'll score the winner against us ;hmm
  • Looks like palace
  • Harvard nordtveit ex West Ham signs for Fulham
  • The DM we never really got to see. Shame.
  • My memory of him is that he was very poor. Maybe I made that up ;puzzled
  • He was very poor at RB
  • Ham,
    "You go to bed when we go to bed. We're in this together."
    http://whu606.com/discussion/comment/920859/#Comment_920859
    ;nonono

;whistle
  • MrsGrey said:

My memory of him is that he was very poor. Maybe I made that up ;puzzled

He was played out of position a fair bit and was pretty poor but when played in his DM role he showed, imo, he was half decent.
  • So yeah, nothing happening. Ex has said our transfer business was entirely dependent on selling one or more of Arnautovic, Hernandez or Perez, and none of them are leaving.

So we now face the next four months with three forwards that don't want to be here and one that isn't good enough.

We have two fit centre backs for the next month, and an injury to Diop or Ogbonna means Rice has to drop back and our midfield is prime 2015 in Noble and Obiang. Not really progress, is it.

Ah well, we've settled for mediocrity once again IMO. There were obvious holes that needed filling; for example, we signed Sanchez for a reason, lost him for the season almost straight away but haven't replaced him. Reid's ongoing problems meant we started the season with three CBs and have since lost Balbuena for 8 weeks but haven't sought any kind of cover.

Disappointed again, but not surprised.
  • We need to get rid of some of these high earners from our club. I feel the wages we pay some of these players that do nothing stop us from getting players in.
  • That all seems a little negative so I’d say at least one positive was refusing to sell a player below our asking price, I think that shows we’re not just a selling club any more and are looking to build at least. It might just take a little longer than people want/expect.
  • edited January 2019
    I don't see a lot of positivity, TBH. We currently have 8 first team players out injured and our only incomings were Nasri (who's now injured) and a youth team player.
  • Also I might be alone but I'm pretty relieved we didn't get Bats in. I don't get what the fuss is about. Although he will score against us.
  • edited February 2019
    OCS said
    ...three forwards that don't want to be here...

I don't know if it's a fact or simply that I'm obviously more focused on West Ham, but we seem to suffer from more disgruntled players who want away than most other teams.
    Where's a statistician when you need one. ;biggrin
  • More worried of getting to safety now than whether we can chase 7th.
  • We got more points at this stage than we did last year we are playing better football at times but we are still inconsistent but that’s nothing new. I’m glad we did not panic and sign pointless players who end up don’t playing. We will finish mid table 3/4places higher than last year . We need some luck with less injuries and we can then sort the forward line out in the summer. We need forwards that fit Pellegrini style and get a few of the high earners from before his time out the door. If these players want move they need to show they are worth one on the pitch they are getting paid well enough for it .
  • Don't see the point in wasting money for stop gaps, and I'm pretty sure most fans (including on here) have blasted the board when we've looked for short term fixes

There are no value in the Jan market, and we spent net £90mil in the summer

We have so many injuries, unfortunately it happens too often, but you can't prepare that so many would be out with season ending injuries (Lanzini, Yarmo, Wilshere, Reid & Sanchez)

We have a identity (sometimes it's hard to see) but you can see what Pelegrini is going for in the way we play

Managers that play with a set philosophy often need the second summer window to assemble a squad that fits their philosophy

Yes this season is pettering out, and its really disappointing, but we have a core of Diop, Rice, Anderson who are all young and exciting that we can start looking at building around
  • The problem is the amount of players that need changing or moving in the Summer is going to be ridiculous.

We could be down 3 players from just contracts being up. Zabaleta / Adrian / Carroll

Then there is huge question marks over the likes of Reid / Masuaku / Obiang / Ogbonna / Hernandez / Perez / Arnaoutouvic / Hugill / Fernandes / Byram / Oxford

All of that with trying to hang onto players like Rice / Anderson.

We literally will have to buy a whole new team.
  • I'm glad we didn't bring in stop-gap players. That creates as many problems as it solves, imo.

Balbuena's back in 3 or 4 wks, Lanzini in 5 or 6.

• We could be down 3 players from just contracts being up. Zabaleta / Adrian / Carroll

Then there is huge question marks over the likes of Reid / Masuaku / Obiang / Ogbonna / Hernandez / Perez / Arnaoutouvic / Hugill / Fernandes / Byram / Oxford

Well first off id be shocked if zabaleta isn't given an extension

Secondly, Hugill, Fernandez, Byram and Oxford haven't played any football for us in the league and are surplus so they don't really matter if they leave, just extra money in the kitty

Also I doubt BOTH Reid and Ogbonna will leave

We will need a new stirkeforce, but Carroll, Perez and Hernandez are costing us approx £250/300k a week and they just are not good enough

Cliche I know but Yarmolenko & Lanzini will be like new signings

I'm happy we are overhauling the squad, in sick of certain players constantly not hitting the level, consistency and effort we require

Plus an overhaul may open avenues for some of our young talent e.g. Diangana, Xande, Holland, Coventry, Powell, Browne, Anang, Neuville etc
This discussion has been closed.