The Arnie situation - one thread to rule them all...

Comments

• He did it with Stoke. "Expect a mysterious injury from him soon"
  • Since when has an agent ever had the true interests of their client at heart. Most it not all are just money grabbing and in it for what they get out of it.
    If a move to a top team has always been his priority why did Marko sign for us in the first place unless we were the only ones interested in which case that should tell him and his brother something.
    I can’t see China as being the most sought after league in football terms so it’s always going to be about the money.
  • edited January 2019
    I do like the brother’s nerve.
    “(West Ham) paid £20million for him, which is nothing in the current market.”
    “Now West Ham have a fantastic offer. It is close to double what they paid for him.”
    Double nothing is nothing, Danny!
  • Apparently Stoke get 20%
  • edited January 2019
    This is the quote apparently, is he just putting words in Arnie mouth then... ;hmm

Arnie is very competitive, you see in the game I would be surprised that at 29 he would want to go to China.

Also an interesting state he is only 7 goals away from beating he total goal tally at Stoke... so like the snake we have seen his best form...

https://talksport.com/football/471883/marko-arnautovic-agent-west-ham-chinese-super-league/
    ——-

Marko Arnautovic’s brother on Talksport: “It is his great desire that West Ham accept the offer from China.

He knows the West Ham fans love him and he has a special connection with them, but things move on, this is the world of sport, and he hopes they can understand.”
  • To be fair I think it seems standard for a player or manager to go to China, pocket the cash for six months to a year, then return to Europe pretty easily & carry on as before.

Arnie could go to China, grab £200,000 a week for six months, his agent collects a massive signing on bonus, then he gets a move back to Europe & ends up at Juve or Milan in a years time maximum.

Shame, but the club need to ensure we get £60m for him & not a penny less.
  • Could understand it more if he was coming to the end of his career for a big wage but not yet, he’s good enough for a champions league club so could get that more but China isn’t a stop of for trophies it’s a build up your bank balance step imo
  • Just cheer his name and don't give an excuse for him to go, his brother is just testing the market to see if one of the big boys will step up with a bid
  • for me personally this feels this will get worse, I cannot see this situation improving. Thogh would be nice to be proven wrong. Looks like they are trying to force the move. i would let him go for 50 mil minimumn if the club wants to put a 50,60 or 70 mil price tag on him fair enough. state the price and don't sell for a penny less. if he goes to china this shows the type of character he isin my opinnion.
  • Lukerz said:

To be fair I think it seems standard for a player or manager to go to China, pocket the cash for six months to a year, then return to Europe pretty easily & carry on as before.

Arnie could go to China, grab £200,000 a week for six months, his agent collects a massive signing on bonus, then he gets a move back to Europe & ends up at Juve or Milan in a years time maximum.

Shame, but the club need to ensure we get £60m for him & not a penny less.

I think players who have played well for several seasons can do that and then go to a big European club. Arnie's only done it for one year. If big teams aren't signing him now, they're not going to want him after 6 months in China when he'll be around 30.
  • He's 29, probably only has 1 big contract left in him

He's brilliant but I don't think the top top clubs will see him as a first teamer

In China he will get about £600k a week

Let's hope he stays, but given what (little) I know about him I think it's unlikely he'll be here for long
  • If he plays on Saturday I think he will stay (until the summer at least).

If he is 'injured' then it could be ;wave Marco
  • According to his brother/agent

"He wants to go to a new market and challenge for titles."

Because a Chinese title is so prestigious ;doh
  • MIAHammer said:

According to his brother/agent

"He wants to go to a new market and challenge for titles."

Because a Chinese title is so prestigious ;doh

I am 100% sure the money is the main issue. However, for a player, I'm sure it must be nice to win a league title at least once in their career. To be in the team that wins 7-0 in cup games. To wonder how many you'll score today, rather than whether. What I'm saying is Arnautovic has played in some of the most prestigious and high-pressure leagues in the world, and has held his own. Maybe he just wants a football holiday?
  • Of course, he himself hasn't said anything. He might not want to move at all.
  • Maybe he is just angling for a pay rise. He's not the top earner at West Ham and it can be argued he is the top performer since his arrival.
  • IronHerb said:

Maybe he is just angling for a pay rise. He's not the top earner at West Ham and it can be argued he is the top performer since his arrival.

Could be. But what a ridiculous way of going about it.
  • Well if he wants away I hope he goes to China. I don't want to see him banging in goals for another Premier league club thank you very much. ;angry
  • Out of interest what fee would people let him go for (assuming that Stoke have a 20% sell on fee clause)
  • 45 million
  • edited January 2019
    I could of course be wrong, I often am, but this sounds so much like his brother has spoken to people in China and offered Arnie, negotiated himself a very nice fee, perhaps 10/15% of transfer fee and can see a very nice payday coming up. It is nothing more than him trying to make as much money as he can. Some would call it greed. He will hope he can turn his brothers head, the trouble is it could unsettle him.

• Yeah, come on Arnie, bung your brother a weeks wedge and keep him quiet for the rest of the season
  • Come on arnie come out and deny you want to go there
  • Even if we get £50M, it's difficult to see us replacing him with it. How many £50M players will want to come to a mid-table PL club?

We'd just end up overpaying for somebody who isn't as good, IMO.

Probably not but that's the cycle of a club not in the top 6. You have to have a manager that knows how to recruit well.

If Arnie downs tool Payet style though.
    Then we should learn from our mistakes with Payet. If Arnie downs tools or feigns injury to get a move then don’t pay him and keep him until the end of the season.

• He hasn't gone anywhere yet.
  • edited January 2019
    DJ Hammer said:

Then we should learn from our mistakes with Payet. If Arnie downs tools or feigns injury to get a move then don’t pay him and keep him until the end of the season.

If we didn't pay Arnie he could take the club to court over breach of contract and the court would probably award him damages on top of the salary we should have paid him.

We'd also have to prove he was feigning injury and not actually injured.

The annoying thing that gets to me the most is that the vast majority of PL players will play in the region of 60 to 70 hours of competitive football per season. For this they get huge sums of money but are never satisfied.

Players work 5-6 days a week, most of the time they're in training and they get paid the going rate, if we didn't pay them someone else would, either here, in China or somewhere else.

Players don't have jobs for life, they have a 15-20 year career at maximum and unless you're going into coaching or TV punditry then playing football isn't really going to be much use when applying for other jobs.

They need to make as much as they can before they are no longer able to.
  • On Arnie, get £50M if he genuinely wants out. I’d be excited to see who Pelle would bring in to replace him.
  • Id rather he go this window. Knowing us he'll get injured in February and half the 60M fee ;doh (id still take min 40M n hope for 50M)
  • I love Arnie when he wants it.

But he has always been pretty hot and cold. His injury record's not great. Some games he does look as though he can't be bothered (I don't actually think today was one of them).

And, ultimately, Pelle's style doesn't rely on individuals. We can (and have) won many times without Arnie this season, and would continue to do so if he left.

Just a bit sad that cash is this important to him, IMO, because at this point in time China is where footballers go to get rich and become irrelevant.
  • I'd assume he figures he can go for a couple of years, pile up the cash, and still come back to a top European club.

Think he may be disappointed in the 2nd hope.