Burnley away sun 30 dec 2018 14:15

123457»

Comments

• Mike, I echo your words have a good one all of you and raise a toast to those loved ones family and friends who are not with us
  • Listening to the Man U - Bournemouth commentary on talksport yesterday, they kept going on about Bournemouth's dreadful injury list.
    Come down to West Ham mate. We've got more occupied beds than Call the Midwife. ;doh
  • Very disappointed with the results and the level of performance. It is hard to accept the idea of "too many games" as an explanation as that applies to all teams unless West Ham players are exceptionally unfit. May be players began to believe in the hype of how good they have recently been and just expected Burnley to roll over. Was Perez actually playing? The defence was woeful and midfield pedestrian and the front three hardly carried any threat. Hope that it is a one-off dismal performance but other teams would have noted that nullifying Anderson blunts the team. Hopefully, Pellegrini will work on that and would be great to have Lanzini back to provide creativity.
  • Pengeman

But it wasn't just us. Lots of teams from the PL and Championship struggled in that round of games (Spurs would be a prime example.)
  • edited December 2018
    Thought that was possibly the worst side we could have played at that exact moment in the season.

I think it is amazing that we have taken the points we have done this month, given that we have so many players out and had so many games to play in. We have basically only had our best 11 for the Newcastle away game; since then it has been patch up.

The result at Southampton was excellent given the changes we had to make and the personnel we picked, but this game was the old chestnut of a game too far & if there is one game in this league you don’t want when you are stretched to your limits and right in the deep end of the festive period, it’s Burnley away. It’s because Burnley, although in terrible form, are not really a ‘form’ side, in that their play does not change whether they are losing or winning games. They are almost a ‘game by game’ side, so on any day they can be up for it and because they play quite a basic brand of football, they can come out on top, especially if the other team is unable to compete with their bullish style.

Hopefully we can get a couple of bodies now back for the Brighton game then we have a bit of time between that and the next league game to rest up a bit. The Brighton game is important because we could do with winning it if we don’t want this season to end in a whimper. We want to be competing for 7th right until May.

Disappointing result but I was kinda expecting it. Shame we couldn’t replicate the Saints performance. But proud of the side in general. I think Pelle could do with a couple of additions this window to strengthen the squad as he is still putting his mark on it.
  • edited December 2018

Pengeman

But it wasn't just us. Lots of teams from the PL and Championship struggled in that round of games (Spurs would be a prime example.)

Yep, plenty of Chalk and Cheese results from the same side:

Leicester 2-1 Man City
    Leicester 0-1 Cardiff

Spurs 5-0 Bournemouth
    Spurs 1-3 Wolves

Burnley 1-5 Everton
    Burnley 2-0 West Ham

Burnley 1-5 Everton
    Brighton 1-0 Everton

Southampton 1-2 West Ham
    Burnley 2-0 West Ham

Leicester 2-1 Man City
    Southampton 1-3 Man City

Arsenal took 1 point from 6, Bournemouth 0 from 6, Watford 1 from 6, Palace 1 from 6, Newcastle 1 from 6, Southampton 0 from 6, Huddersfield 0 from 6 etc

Gameweeks 1 & 38, along with the Xmas period, are always the most random & unpredictable for results.
  • I thought we were in the main poor.

We realy missed Balbuena and Zabaleta. Our replacements for first choice absences are not good enough.

I like Grey had a drink, G&T in my case..... because there was a y in the day.

Chin chin ;biggrin ;rose
  • Cheers, Mike ;ok

Let's hope all Hammers have many reasons to be cheerful in 2019! ;barrera ;scarf ;clown
  • In 9 out of 10 seasons, the only thing surprising about our two away games between Christmas and new year is that we won one of them.

The nature of the surrender at Burnley is what most find difficult to accept (given the good run we have had). Losing away to a team in the bottom 3 is regulation West Ham.

Those of a certain vintage will remember the saying that West Ham come down with the decorations. Let's hope it is wrong.

Glass half full.

;wreath
  • I thought the complaint about the Christmas period is it's four matches over a minimum of ten days, so based on that shouldn't this read - Arsenal took 4 point from 9, Bournemouth 3 from 9, Watford 4 from 9, Palace 4 from 9, Southampton 3 from 9? Most is as good/poor as ours. Leicester also beat Chelsea prior to winning at home to Manchester City. Their return is better than ours & against better opposition. Sorry about being picky but am still very disappointed about yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.