Burnley away sun 30 dec 2018 14:15

Comments

• Wow what a save from Heaton
  • Cracking save Heaton, but shows why Cresswell deserves his place.
  • If only Hart had played ;weep ;weep ;weep
  • Brighton next up and they have the bogey over us. Let’s hope we don’t start the second 19 games the way we started the first.
    Burnley haven’t been great but compared to us they’ve been PSG.

And who’s next up for match thread
    Sorry folks
  • edited December 2018
    No complaints with result, got what our performance deserved, it could have been a worse score, slightly improved 2nd half, but could hardly have got worse than the 1st, oh well, after the early months, cant complain too much where we are in the league ....

At least this loss means Manuel will hopefully not win Manager of Month !!
  • Even with this defeat we've had the second best December in the division. People can say we're inconsistent, but we've had two poor results out of seven games.
  • We played like it was an end of season game
  • Maybe we're saving ourselves for the cup ;wink
  • Option A: Berate the team/manager/anyone you can think of, and go on about how rubbish we are.

Option B: Show inevitable disappointment at such a poor showing, then remember we've won 5 from 7, played some really good football, have 27 points, and are well in the mix to get 7th.

The choice is yours.
  • Well that was a bit poor. And rather disappointing to be honest. Not quite sure what happened there apart from we looked like a different side from the ones that ran out at Southampton. ;weep
  • I'll have a B please Grey
  • Better than an extra 2 hours with Mother-in-law .... but only just ;weep
  • Option A: Berate the team/manager/anyone you can think of, and go on about how rubbish we are.

Option B: Show inevitable disappointment at such a poor showing, then remember we've won 5 from 7, played some really good football, have 27 points, and are well in the mix to get 7th.

The choice is yours.

Call me old fashioned
    We should be 7th grrrrr Watford
  • Don't care where we are until the last week of the season.

There's no bonus points, extra money, or bragging rights for being in position X on day Y.
  • imagelost said:

Option A: Berate the team/manager/anyone you can think of, and go on about how rubbish we are.

The choice is yours.

Call me old fashioned
    We should be 7th grrrrr Watford
    Or
    Are we just greeedy
    Know you place West Ham
    ;weep
  • So glad we've moved away from the anti-football dinosaur Dyche plays. Hope Burnley get relegated.
  • After 20 games last season we were 17th with 17 points

Gonna go into the new year positive regardless of today
  • A fantastic December and set of performances.
    Today was annoyingly disappointing.

• alderz said:

Even with this defeat we've had the second best December in the division. People can say we're inconsistent, but we've had two poor results out of seven games.

We've won 8 and lost 9 this season. To me that is the very epitome of inconsistency.
  • edited December 2018

So glad we've moved away from the anti-football dinosaur Dyche plays. Hope Burnley get relegated.

So do I but it's a big shame we couldn't help them on their way a bit today. ;ok

They were more up for it than we were, possibly due to the reduced rest period we had. Surely somebody should have realised that coming off the mauling Everton gave them they would be trying even harder to put that right. They were in the bottom 3 we should have known what to expect.
  • I thought I'd have one of my last Christmas bottles of London Pride to celebrate a victory, and now I can't. That's disappointing.

So, I think I'll have one of my last Christmas bottles of London Pride to take away the taste of disappointment.

Glass full. ;biggrin ;cheers
  • Regardless of how depressing Burnley’s football was, the worst part was that they drew us down to their level.

They pushed up against our CBs and DMs and forced us to punt it long over and over. After 10 minutes it was clear we were going to get zero joy out of that, so to persist with it for 90 minutes was infuriating.

I think we lacked a bit of bravery to keep it on the floor and play through the middle. Noble was out of sorts and Rice is still inexperienced against that kind of aggression, but I can’t help thinking Obiang would have made a difference in that.

Perez and Carroll are both so ineffective in this side. And Arnie looked 70% at best.

We know Anderson is either hot or cold. Today, he was so cold I thought I spotted a couple of penguins surrounding him on the left wing.

And Diop will have learned a few tough lessons today. He had a nightmare, but I suppose being 21, a few nightmares will make him a better defender.

Bitterly disappointing, but we have a few home games coming up to make amends.
  • That was assuredly a poor performance but we have a raft of injuries that would impact any team, Perez is showing his lack of confidence and AC his lack of match fitness, we will come back from this and I remain steadfast that 2019 is looking very promising for us.

;scarf
  • Teams are certainly stacking up in the league below the top 6.

Such a shame we couldn't get the three points today.
  • So West Ham it’s no true.Always been the way and. I wouldn’t have it any other way.
  • alderz said:

Even with this defeat we've had the second best December in the division. People can say we're inconsistent, but we've had two poor results out of seven games.

We've won 8 and lost 9 this season. To me that is the very epitome of inconsistency.
    I was talking about December, but yeah. 8 wins 9 defeats is inconsistent, but I would argue that before December our form was "bad" and since the start of December it was "good", chunked up into two fairly distinct sections.
  • I think the fixture list and injuries just caught up with us today, we did really well to pull that result out of the bag at Southampton with such a patched up side and I think our expectations ( feeling of invincibility) just got found out a bit today.

Burnley fought like devils for every ball where as we looked half a yard slower at times. Arnie clearly not back to full fitness yet, and Looking a bit off the pace at times meant we didn't have the attacking threat once Anderson was prevented cutting in as he did with ease in the second half at Soton.

No one could say Burnley didn't deserve the points today, but at the end of 2018 I don't imagine there are many of us that could have imagined being this happy with everything West Ham in the short time since we last played Burnley at the our place, which was the match of the protests. We have spent money, retained players, we have attacking football under a top manager and really looking forward again, whilst in young Declan we have even managed produce the very defensive midfielder we have all been shouting for these last three seasons. If we had spent 25m on a DM who was now playing as well as he is we would be very happy with that signing indeed. I feel this is even better than the Payet season as he was clearly carrying a few at that time where as now we are stronger throughout the squad. Lanzini will feel like a new signing when he returns and I feel we can really finish the season well.
  • Wish there was a multiple agree button there claret ;ok
  • I thought I'd have one of my last Christmas bottles of London Pride to celebrate a victory, and now I can't. That's disappointing.

So, I think I'll have one of my last Christmas bottles of London Pride to take away the taste of disappointment.

Glass full. ;biggrin ;cheers

You deserve it grey.
    Thanks for your hard work in putting together the best west ham forum(imo) on the web.
    Happy new year to you,mrs Grey and everyone else who contributes to the site.

;beer
  • I think the fact we have so many players injured means we can't rotate and rest players as much and inevitably we put in atired lucllustre performance we so many games in such a short period of time.
This discussion has been closed.