Watford (H); Saturday 22nd December, 15:00

Comments

• edited December 2018
    Pelle saying he’s hoping arnie back Thursday and he thought we deserved at least a drawer today
  • We could have easily got something out of that. More chances than we did at Fulham. That's football.
  • I thought we deserved the whole wardrobe ;biggrin
  • Watching motd there were gaping holes in our defence and if it wasn’t for fab they could have had 5. Apart from Antonio’s miss from 3 yards, their misses were worse.
  • A Watford fan says that we simply didn't have enough in the middle. So 4-4-2 against lower sides but 4-3-3 against everyone else.
  • We could also have scored quite a few Thorn, if all u saw was a few mins on MOTD then im not sure u can make a judgement, Hernandez on another day with his finishing could have easily scored 3 himself, it was as already said just one of those days, re gaping holes in our defence, well yeh there were a few fair enough, its the style of play we are playing under Manuel, thought Diop was poor in 1st half, but also thought Ogbonna played well after coming on....
    A 0-2 scoreline didn't do us any favours, we were left to rue poor finishing...
  • Agreed, Jay. Even the Watford manager said we had “many chances”. The game could have gone either way, which is what I’d expect when two teams - of a similar level, similar style - play each other.
  • Hernandez came off with a hamstring issue according to the Guardian. So that’s another doubt for the Southampton game.
  • Jay ;ok

It was a 50-50 match. I would say they were the more accomplished side but I would expect that based on them being more settled with their main players, & then also being a good technical side. They were missing Hughes & Gray but overal that was pretty much their main 11.

We were a bit more hokey-cokey & sporadic in our play, but you can’t deny we had one chance that should have been a certain goal, hit the post twice, whilst Foster received MOTM from Sky. However they also could have had 3 goals. They were the more coherent & balanced team but it could’ve easily been a 2-2 game. I think a West Ham with Arnie, Yarmolenko etc would have looked more balanced. Getting Obiang on at some point for me was the one missed chance in that game. I know we were chasing it but I felt he needed to come on at HT to give us a better foundation.

Our form ever since drawing with Leicester has been so good (17 points) that we have basically assured ourselves of a more comfortable second half of the season. It’s only gonna take about 34 points to stay up at this rate (maybe less), so we can go into games even when we get a knock & look forwards & continue to develop our identity.

Obviously we all want to finish in the top 10 & have a real go at the cup, but I like the side we have, plus the way we play.
  • Luke/Adam ;ok
    It was a game where its was not meant 2 be...
    Our chances were good enough to have scored a few apart from Foster playing a blinder, We also had Fab to thank for a few excellent saves, but as u said it could have so easily been a 2-2..
    Bearing in mind all our injuries and winning 4 on the trot, Christmas is gonna be more sweet than it looked a month or so ago.
  • My point Jay was that although both sides had chances they had at least two one on ones which they should have scored and on other occasions we left players unmarked in the box. Even for their second Arthur was standing next to the scorer and made no attempt to make a block.
    I watched the majority of the game, not only motd, and most of our chances weren’t clear cut. One of Chico’s he could have scored but Antonio’s header back was slightly behind him so he couldn’t get a perfect strike. Antonio’s header on the bar was a real clear cut opportunity and was a poor attempt for my money.
    I agree it could have been 2-2 but it could also have been 5-2 or 2-5.
  • Thorn

Their clear cut chances came when we were chasing the game in the second half. You’re going to concede these types of chances against teams who are quick in attack. But I agree we can defend better.
  • edited December 2018
    This from Thorn:
    Even for their second Arthur was standing next to the scorer and made no attempt to make a block.

Just watched it on MOTD, he really is useless. I have forgiven him in the past because of his attacking ability but that seems to have deserted him so I think it's time to bench him. However, why wasn't Cresswell playing, he played really well in his last game.

On another note, it was nice to see Deeney confirm my (and I'm 100% certain of many, many others) opinion of him as a really horrible nasty ................. (insert whatever word you like) ;angry
  • Bubbles,

Agree about Deeney.

I reckon the good fortune we have had over a couple of the previous matches deserted us. Could easily have been two down v Palace when they hit the bar and Cardiff could have taken the lead with the penalty. It was disappointing yesterday and we can't assume it will be fixed unless we up our game v Southampton & Burnley. Maybe we can make a few additions in January. ;pray
  • Bubbles Deeney hates us and I think you can trace that back to the game when we were leading 2-0 and started, especially Payet, to showboat. That really got to them and they went to town and stuffed us 4-2. Deeney said afterwards that we were disrespectful to fellow professionals. Since then he’s nearly always scored against us.
  • He only punched the corner flag because he couldn’t perform the knee slide celebration properly......
  • thorn

It seems to me that in almost every situation you assume a negative view of our club.

We didn't 'start showboating' in that game.

Le Sulk delivered a rabona cross for our 2nd goal. Watford were getting 'schooled', and Deeney didn't like it.

We weren't disrespectful, and Deeney is only a 'fellow professional' in the very narrow sense that he gets paid to play football. Beyond that, I find very little professional about the man, and his generally poor attitude and behaviour has nothing to do with how we played against them once.

He was jailed for his part in a vicious assault which left a student with a broken jaw.

Read any interview, and you will find a man full of self-congratulation at how he has overcome adversity, and nothing at all about any shame for his behaviour, or concern for his victim.

Site rules, and the spirit of Christmas, prevent me from articulating my full spleen towards the man.
  • edited December 2018
    Go on Grey. Just this once, no ones watching. ;biggrin
  • IronHerb said:

Go on Grey. Just this once, no ones watching. ;biggrin

Yeah go on
  • Double dare ya
  • Come Grey, give it the full beans of Man Spleen!
  • Come on Grey, let it rip!!!
  • Do it, do it, do it...
  • Troy Deeney, he's a meany.
    Deeney, Troy is a not a nice boy.

The man is a buffalloon, which is to say, a puffed up buffoon.
  • edited December 2018
    Ooh Grey, you are naughty ;biggrin
    Patent that word, buffalloon ;lol
  • Would the Mods look at Greys post please? Shocking. ;wink
  • Grey knows how to trash talk somebody. You go girlfriend.
  • Mrs Grey, get the soap out and wash ur man's mouth out, pure filth..... ;wink
  • I have to say that Deeney has a face only a mother could love. Dislike him rather vehemently. ;angry
  • Hamstew said:

Grey knows how to trash talk somebody. You go girlfriend.

Mm hmm. I be all like

This discussion has been closed.