FA Cup 2018/19 3rd round (and 4th round draw)

Comments

• If they get 45% of gate receipts that would likely be a good sum and not inconvenience their own fans too much on account of it being another London team. Although from a Wimbledon fans point of view there would be something quite special about getting to see Anderson and Arnie up that close at kingsmeadow, and hope to shake them up a bit and look for a cup shock that would be far less likely at our home.
  • Did I see “Cup shock” and “far less likely” in the same sentence relating to the Hammers?

Matron ... ;puzzled
  • edited January 2019
    Yeah but looking at their forum most seem pretty fed up that it's the second time this fixture has taken place at their ground this season. They seem to rather it be played out ours.
  • bottom of the league no reason we should go through.
  • Whoops, I'd completely forgotten we'd played there in the Reindeer Cup back in August, we were allocated just 675 tickets back then.
  • So Suze, who maintains the construction and who checks it?

Sorry bit late to the discussion - but as it happens my wife's brother was the structural engineer / consultant at Priestfield until he retired and his firm had a hospitality box there for a few seasons because Scally didn't like paying their bill with actual money !

• Wimbledon game now live on BT Sport, Saturday 26 at 7.45pm.
  • 675 tickets allocated.
  • I'm still surprised they did not wish to switch it to the London Stadium, surely that would have produced more income for them?
  • Probably feel they’ve got a good chance of an upset by keeping it at their place. Also probably why BT are televising it.
  • I'm not sure the FA allow it anymore.
  • Herb

;ok

Pretty sure that is the case.
  • I'm still surprised they did not wish to switch it to the London Stadium, surely that would have produced more income for them?

And it isn't our stadium either so we would probably have to get permission and pay up

• That explains it then!
  • Unless your spurs then the fa let you do what you want ;biggrin
  • What would be the point of the draw if you could just swap the venue?
  • I am pleased about that to be honest, it is something that makes the FA Cup special, the idea that premier league players just might have to run out onto a pitch that is far from perfect in front of an inevitably very vocal packed house, is very appealing to me.

I understand there might be an increased risk of injury but it is a nice test of nerves and a reminder of where they all came from.
  • Lukerz said:

What would be the point of the draw if you could just swap the venue?

Spurs still don't have a stadium to switch to.

We might be renting a home from the Mayor of London but Spurs are sleeping on the FA's sofa.
  • I am pleased about that to be honest, it is something that makes the FA Cup special, the idea that premier league players just might have to run out onto a pitch that is far from perfect in front of an inevitably very vocal packed house, is very appealing to me.

I understand there might be an increased risk of injury but it is a nice test of nerves and a reminder of where they all came from.

Exactly that. It's what makes the romance of the cup special. All the Fancy Dan players from exotic countries playing on a ploughed field (bit harsh I know). Not what they are used to.
    I think it's beautiful!
  • Chappers, to be fair, a lot of those "Fancy Dan players from exotic countries" probably grew up kicking a "football" on stony pitches and with bare feet.
  • Yes, very true.
  • Chappers, to be fair, a lot of those "Fancy Dan players from exotic countries" probably grew up kicking a "football" on stony pitches and with bare feet.

If I was of a certain persuasion and permanently outraged I would view this comment as cultural/racial stereotyping........................... ;whistle
  • edited January 2019
    Madcap, sorry, but I think you need to explain your reasoning there. ;hmm

• Poor choice of words on my part - absolutely not intended to come across as stereotyping in any way. I was trying to suggest about the luxuries top level players have at their disposal during their careers are not what they can expect at low level grounds playing teams in the FA cup.
  • If you think about it, most premier league players, fancy, brutish, Dans or Declans, are practising and playing on top class AstroTurf and real, treated pitches from the time they’re recruited at 10 years old, anyway!
  • I know you meant no offence by what you said and no-one I personally know would take offence at what you said but the "Oh, so I suppose you think all foreign players kick bundles of rags around in barefeet on dirt pitches before retiring to their mudhuts after seeing their local witchdotor" is how some people would interpret your comment. I.E. take offence when none was implied or intended.
  • edited January 2019
    Madcap

I really don't think that is the case.

I think all you have done is made another user feel uncomfortable, by trying to make a point that doesn't really have any merit, since I don't think there are really any people who would react as you have suggested.
  • Grey, thanks ;ok