Newcastle United (A); Saturday 1st December, 15:00

12346»

Comments

• What an excellent result that was. Really didn’t see it coming given our recent record there but we have been threatening that kind of result this season even in our last few disappointing games, results wise. But 6 points now off 8th. It is there for us if we want it. This mentality shift is where I hope we shine coming up. Pelle doesn’t want one win & champagne popping. He wants more.

Fair play for going with Hernandez too & bringing out Diangana & Antonio. The selection had a good balance & fluidity to it. I think Hernandez is going to be crucial between now & Xmas & I think he needs to start every game more or less. He will disappoint in some, but there isn’t a better finisher outside the top 6. I also get the feeling Arnie may be entering a run where his goals dry up.
  • Lukerz said:

I think Hernandez is going to be crucial between now & Xmas & I think he needs to start every game more or less..

I was pondering this, this morning.

If yesterday was the first time Pelle felt Hernandez had 90mins in him, will he really be fit to start 2 games a week, for a month?

I think it more likely that he will be used judiciously - with a slightly different approach depending on who we play, and if it's H or A.

;hmm
  • alderz

Probably, but then the highlights fail to reflect the flow of the first half.

Just watched the GoS highlights - the comm team on TSN was actually the Sky team, so even less excuse for not knowing Marky's name.
  • As a few neutrals said on BBC, that was a good game to watch. In patches we were as fluent as Man City last week: I almost felt sorry for Newcastle by the end! And delighted that our new boys Snodgrass & Chicarito had good games. Maybe we can rotate without suffering too much this month, since we seem to be playing more as a team these days. ;cake all round ;clap
  • 3 more points against Cardiff and we can look up the table i think
  • I really like Balbuena. Wasn’t sure at the start. But a proper CB. Very aggressive but not headless.
  • We have to start Hernandez and Arnie. It makes us so much more fluid and I still believe Arnie is better playing just behind the striker and Hernandez cant play as a lone striker.
    Mrs G, including this week we have 3 weeks out of 5, upto and including the game on Jan 2nd, that are 2 game weeks. That isn't excessive imo and I think it's the midfield, and Zabba, that need looking after rather than the forward players.
  • Mrs G - Pelle said that up until this week Hernandez was still suffering the effects of the virus which I suppose would explain why he hasn't been at his best when he has made an appearance over the last two months.
  • Maybe I should check into the local nurse, but I am looking forward to seeing big Andy back as a real option so making use of 2 from Marko, Chico and Andy with the other switching in for 20-30 mins at the end. All 3 have strengths that complement the others. Marko and Andy 'bullying' the defences and Chico's intelligent movement around tiring defences should lead to an encouraging rest of the season.

Also very pleased with the progress Snodgrass has made under Pele - his attitude has been an excellent example to Rice and the younger lads pressing for a place.
  • 3 goals in 3 starts though isn’t a bad record for our main finisher.
  • Mrs G - Pelle said that up until this week Hernandez was still suffering the effects of the virus which I suppose would explain why he hasn't been at his best when he has made an appearance over the last two months.

Yes, I saw that. I wasn't meaning to suggest he was unfit as in injured ... but that for a long time he;s not played/trained, so yesterday was the start of his return to full 'availability' shall we say. My point was about how many full games he can play, and how close together.

IronHerb ;ok I take your point. I guess we'll know the answer when we see what Pelle does with him.
  • The bench looked decent too...

Good sign for the busy Xmas period...
  • If you had to rely on the MotD highlights, you'd think Newcastle dominated us in the first half.

I get there are limitations to what they can show, but why edit it so badly that it fails to reflect the overall picture? They didn't show any of the chances we missed.

I think it was generally a bad edit. Even from their chances, I think they didn't include the Perez chance that was actually good - the header that was on target but straight at Fabianski - but had some of his wild half-chances.
  • As a side note was that not the most ridiculous booking ever for Snodgrass? Not sure I’ve seen a yellow given for such a nothing foul.
  • Talking of bookings anyone better then me know how many yellows each of our players have and who is close to 5
  • This new group of refs are still finding there feet. I mean he booked Nobes for time wasting not realising that is as quick as he could move. ;biggrin
  • Steve the 5 bookings don't matter now. The cutoff was 30 November.
  • Herb

And there was a Toon player not retreating, and still only 5 yards away when the ref booked Nobes
  • It was still a fair decision. Even after Kennedy messed about the ref called for Nobes to take the kick then he runs up to take it and stops and retreats to take it again .
  • Steve the 5 bookings don't matter now. The cutoff was 30 November.

Are you sure on that Thorn? Is it not still 31st December? ;hmm
  • steve said:

Talking of bookings anyone better then me know how many yellows each of our players have and who is close to 5

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/yellow_card

Filter West Ham.
  • edited December 2018
    http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/suspensions

Cut off date for Pl is 31 December (19 matches).

Zabaleta is 1 yellow away. I think Nobes is too, now (he's shown as being on 3, but I don't think it has been updated following this wekend's games, yet).

Snodgrass has already served a 1 match suspension for 5 yellows. He's now up to 6 - so could end up accumulating 10 within 32 matches, and getting suspended again.

The November date (referenced by thornbury) is for some other leagues.

• edited December 2018
    Cards now only apply to the competition they're issued in. So from this season you can get 4 in the PL without getting a suspension. Carabao Cup and FA Cup it's 2 and that gets a suspension.
  • Yes but if you get 5 in the league before 31st December you get a ban and

From The Sun online: -

But you need to be booked twice in either the Carabao Cup or FA Cup to be banned from the next game in that season’s competition

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6912118/fa-changes-suspension-rule/
  • edited December 2018

Cards now only apply to the competition they're issued in. So from this season you can get 4 in the PL without getting a suspension. Carabao Cup and FA Cup it's 2 and that gets a suspension.

I knew they'd changed the rules re. it's not '5 yellows in any senior competitions gets you a ban in the next game of any comp'.

But, as Herb points out, 5 yellows in the PL = 1 game ban in the PL (if before end Dec).

As evidenced by Snodgrass picking up his PL ban when he had 6 yellows - but only 5 were accrued n PL games. (He's actually on 7 yellows in all comps)
  • That's what I was saying. You can have 4 in the PL and 1 in the Carabao before the cutoff and not get a ban.
  • Cracking result, and frankly a very very good performance all round.

Hopefully we can get back to back wins on tuesday and make it a full house on the weekend, if we do I would say the Pellegrini revolution is well on its way.

Hope Cresswell injury isn’t too bad, I’d probably go with Ogbonna at LB if he’s out
  • That's what I was saying. You can have 4 in the PL and 1 in the Carabao before the cutoff and not get a ban.

Sorry Thorn, I misread your post.
    ;ok
  • I thought Chicharito looked way fitter than start of season. He put in a really good shift.
This discussion has been closed.