Newcastle United (A); Saturday 1st December, 15:00

Comments

• ;wahoo well played lads ;clap
  • OCS
    Allegedly ;biggrin
  • The downside for me was that I thought our subs were poor although Wilshere didn’t have much game time.
  • more points than games=survival coyi
  • So do I need to do another negative match thread?
  • We’ve got great games coming up in December. Hopefully we shoot up the league.
  • lets hope this is the beginning of a little run we can put together.
  • Absolutely delighted & I honestly reckon today could be season defining. A win has taken the pressure off ,the clean sheet is only the 2nd(?) of the season & the hammering our goal difference took last week has been clawed back.
    With the run that we've got coming up there is no reason why we can't be in mid table come the New Year & think about having a crack at the FA Cup instead of a relegation battle. COYI!!!
  • 5 more games in December, all winnable but do we have the depth of squad for it.
  • MIAHammer said:

The downside for me was that I thought our subs were poor although Wilshere didn’t have much game time.

I think Pele was playing it wise, rather than flashy. Obiang came on after Newcastle strengthened their MF, so I think it was to prevent us giving them a foothold there and getting back in the game

Wilshere needs game time in his legs: we're going to need him fit if we want to use him over the busy Xmas period and he hasn't had any match time.

He managed an assist ;clap
  • Cresswell bead playing well. Anderson was great. Our centre backs are awesome.
  • That was really impressive...... We didn't only win but dictated all match against a team coming off of three victories with home advantage. In truth were it not for some poor finishing and decision making we could have had five or six.

So many great performances which added up to Newcastle never being able to actually get into a match played in a manner of our choosing.

Must keep Chico and Arnie together next match. They managed to miss a few but played their part in taking as well.
  • The most encouraging thing for me was the fluency in breaking out of defence into attack.
    Anderson, Chicarito and Arnie were brilliant in their anticipation, almost Citeh-esque, although if it had been Citeh the scoreline would have been a little different for all the chances we created.
    If they're all fit, it should be the same starting 11 for the next couple of games to get the points on the board.

;scarf ;scarf
  • Well done to our Captain Kevin Noble
  • I suspect like most, I was anxious that our failure to convert more of our first half chances would come back to bite us, and I think we still gave up too many chances, but on calm reflection that was a high quality performance.

Not sure why Arthur is getting hate; I thought he was decent after he came on.

All told I'm feeling pretty ;santa after that.
  • edited December 2018
    Grey, not sure it's hate with Arthur, more like frustration.
    He's not a natural defender, as he has admitted himself, and coming on for Cresswell, who had his best game that I've seen for a long time, was always going to be a hard act to follow.
  • Well done the lads! Looking forward to MOTD. ; ;scarf
  • edited December 2018
    He might have missed two decent chances but I am really pleased Javier got two goals just to show a few of the doubters what he can do when he is given a chance. ;ok
  • Another thing - how good a signing has Fabianski been compared with Joe Hart who was deemed by the commentators on TSN to be at fault for Palace's 1st. goal today. Definitely dodged a bullet with him.
  • edited December 2018

Another thing - how good a signing has Fabianski been compared with Joe Hart who was deemed by the commentators on TSN to be at fault for Palace's 1st. goal today. Definitely dodged a bullet with him.

I never wanted Hart, I agree, and he was poor for us. But he was only on loan for a season.

However, he made some good saves today, and has played well for Burnley this season so far. You can look at one goal, where he was (in some people's opinion ... but not your own?) at fault. But it's not like Fabianski hasn't made the odd error either.

Fabianski has, yes, been good for us. But if Hart had played for us like he has played for Burnley this season, then your comparison wouldn't hold up.

We had a Hart in poor form. Now we've got a Fabianski n good form.

I see no benefit in comparing them, tbh.
  • edited December 2018
    happy happy joy joy, its a Ten from Len, or in this case Path
  • ;hmm not sure I agree with you there Mrs Grey,i think Hart as been just as poor this season as last ,just glad hes not with us anymore
  • With apologies to the Crystals for all you ageing rockers

We met them on a Saturday & my heart stood still
    We did rondon we did rondon
    Chico go two & we won 3 nil
    We did rondon we did rondon

Yes my heart stood still
    Yes we won 3 nil
    We scored three away from home
    we did rondon we did rondon

my name is Diop & I played with skill
    I did rondon I did rondon
    Of victory I had mt fill
    I did rondon I did ron rondon

Yes I played with skill
    Ye I had my fill
    We scored three away from home
    We dod rondon we did rondon

• TSN was the station who’s commentator though Mark Noble was called Kevin Noble. Personally I think Joe Hart had a good game (watching MOTD anyway)
  • edited December 2018
    It was an excellent result, a good display but at 1-0 up always looked like we could concede a goal, thanks to poor finishing from the Toon,nice to see Manuel go for it, knowing the 3 points were there to be taken... Pity re Aaron having to go off, as thought he had a really good game, my MOM Anderson, if only he could be more consistent, but he's getting use to the league now so lets hope so...
    Need to push on now, and a perfect opportunity on Tuesday v Cardiff ..

Re Joe Hart, never wanted him last season, might put a few good displays in, but IMHO he has been in decline for a few seasons now...whereas Fabianski has again IMHO proved far more capable so far.
  • Talking of consistent, I can't remember a time where I have felt so comfortable with the GK & CB pairing

Fabianski, Balbuena and Diop are all top class and never seem to drop their performance levels

Happy for Anderson, it's taken him a while to get up to pace but you can see him improving

4 goals and an assist in the last 4 shows what he can provide for us

Also shout out to Snodgrass who didn't exactly dazzle but thought was very good and love his professionalism

He looked like he was out the door this summer and he always gives 100% in every performance whether it's a 5 minute cameo or starting from the off like yesterday
  • Well that was worth the trip. That was a thrashing. 3-0 and 4 golden opportunities wasted with a few half chances in response. When the system works it looks good.
    Good performances all over the pitch with with Fab, Issa and Felipe leading the way.
    To take a Benitez organised side apart like we did, I think, shows how well we played.
    Now looking forward to the big disappointment against Cardiff ;wink

COYI
  • If you had to rely on the MotD highlights, you'd think Newcastle dominated us in the first half.

I get there are limitations to what they can show, but why edit it so badly that it fails to reflect the overall picture? They didn't show any of the chances we missed.
  • I think it may have been because a number of chances didn't result in shots. towards the end of the first half a stat came up on the stream saying we'd had one shot, and that felt weird because we had definitely had the best of the half.
This discussion has been closed.