Man City (H); Saturday 24th November, 15:00

12346»

Comments

• Hernandez / Perez / Antonio are dire...and i wouldn't count on Carroll lasting.

I agree on Perez, but I think Chicharito and Antonio can improve. Still, we may need to buy a good forward in January.

• Ah that's what I thought Dublin, but then I remembersuper Andy Carroll is back to full fitness which means we are ok for the next game and a half.
  • MrsGrey said:

Against what sort of teams?

Because it's not all about how we line up.

2CMs we lost to Liverpool, Bournemouth, Arsenal, Wolves and City

3 CMs we beat Everton, Man U and Burnley, drew with Chelsea, Leicester and Huddersfield and lost to Brighton and Spurs.

I'd say that's a pretty mixed selection of teams for both starting line ups.
  • I love Rice, but one area I think he does have to improve is his marking of midfield runners. I think with the exception of Hazard when we played Chelsea he does often mark space as opposed to following players who make those attacking runs from deep positions (like Silva yesterday). i thought he had a good game tbf but one area I think, as a midfield anchor, he has to help the back four out & mark those midfield runners. The back four had a lot to do yesterday with Sterling, Sane & Aguero.
  • Thing is Lukerz is that I'm not sure anyone has stopped Silva in the last 5 years so a bit harsh to call Rice out on that one.
  • Silva is on another planet imo. One of the best and probably most underrated midfielders ever to play in the EPL I think.
  • Herb ;ok yeah not just yesterday. There have been a few occasions for me. Pritchard, Sigurdsson. I don’t blame him for losing Silva but I think he marks space a lot when we are defending.
  • Rice is learning and part of that is making mistakes.
  • What pleased me most yesterday was that played our own game. We didn't play it as well as we have recently, City might have had something to do with that, but we didn't cower.
    Our passing was sloppy and our finishing poor, which is becoming an issue imo. Arthur had a bit of a mare but Sterling, Sane and Silva will test the best. Antonio had one of his better games but I've lost faith in him and Perez needs to be moved on in January.

We now enter the period where our season will be defined. Bring it on.
  • Perez for sure added nothing, Arthur was culpable but I think we all agree he is simply not a left back but is worth his place when playing a more forward role.

I thought that Rice got in a couple of really vital tackles in midfield and emerged cleanly with the ball, whenever the high press we employed inevitably broke down, Citeh had a lot of pitch to break into and seeing how exposed he was, I thought he coped really well.

At the end of the day, their first had some luck about it, the second and third were down to a lack of awareness/concentration from a player who was out of position and the fourth was way after the horse had bolted.

The score line was flattering - we could/should have got a couple back ourselves.

And do not forget that we actually put in a couple of really decent corners, when was the last time that happened....
  • A lack of goals concerns me. We are a fairly inept attacking team when it comes to taking chances.
  • Thorn, especially with Arnie looking less dangerous with each game (1 goal in 5)

Antonio is a poor striker of the ball, always has been and you would never back him in a 1 vs 1

Diangana has lots of ability but he's only 20 and isn't gonna get 10 goals

Perez isn't showing much in his brief cameos and Hernandez is only a really an option off the bench

Think we are missing the technicality of Lanzini and Yarmolenko who would contribute massively to our offensive ability and are starters in this team when fit
  • edited November 2018
    I think Perez needs a run of games to show us if he has anything to offer. He has been slated by quite a few on social media but I think he needs a run of starts to make a real impact. Would like to see him start against Newcastle for Antonio & see if he can link up well with Arnie. Cameos here & there are not really going to do him much good.
  • Lukerz,

The same could be said for Hernandez. ;ok
  • edited November 2018
    we actually put in a couple of really decent corners, when was the last time that happened....
    That's an easy one Chicago, the last time Snoddie played. Snoddie has clearly taught Anderson all he knows.
  • Whilst I agree with the principle of Perez needing to start, I think we need to play 4-3-3 to be our most dangerous, personally. I’d rather see a midfield three of Rice Noble/Obiang Snodgrass against Newcastle than I would like to see Perez
  • Lukerz said:

I think Perez needs a run of games to show us if he has anything to offer. He has been slated by quite a few on social media but I think he needs a run of starts to make a real impact. Would like to see him start against Newcastle for Antonio & see if he can link up well with Arnie. Cameos here & there are not really going to do him much good.

I think he needs to show something that suggests he deserves a start.
  • Start Perez ? I've got some heavy duty jump leads but I'm not sure they could put enough life into him. ;biggrin
  • edited November 2018
    Sledge, they don't like it up 'em, Captain ;biggrin
This discussion has been closed.