Man City (H); Saturday 24th November, 15:00

Comments

• I am not unhappy with this performance. Plenty of positives to take from this game.
  • alderz

I do wonder what they look at/for.

We've had a right go.

We're obviously well shy of their quality, but I think our application has been top drawer.

Arthur didn't look great for 2 of their goals, but otherwise we've been as at it as you can be against City.

We've had more shots than them, but only 1 if the 9 on target.
  • Shame, a 4th right on the whistle.
  • Shame we couldn’t keep it to 3 & Arnie picked up his injury.
  • They need to do something about their finishing. We struggle to get shots on target and if Arnie doesn't score it's likely we won't score.
    Anyway I thought we were on the way to a 6 or 7 thrashing but settle for 4. Shame but I don't think city were ever in any trouble and they keep going from whistle to whistle and always look full of fitness for the whole 90.
  • The history books will point to a very comfortable 0-4 win for City but that is not a fair reflection of the game, we gave them a real go and the cIteh players know that they have been in a game today.

I have seen lose by this score line a number of times when we have been pathetic, but that was not the case today.

You simply have to take your chances against a top side like City and we had five or six decent chances and you cannot afford to switch off - unfortunately we also did that a couple of times.

All in all I was quite proud of the way we played against a real top quality team
  • We had 9 shots, 1 on target.

Other PL teams City have been away at so far:

Spurs managed 4/1 with a lot more possession.
    Arsenal 9/3
    Wolves 11/2 (1 goal)
    Cardiff 2/2
    Liverpool 7/2

• I don't want Masuaku or Perez,to wear our shirt again ,Also I am getting fed up of Arnies attitude when he gets a knock or things are going against him ,getting to the stage where if we get a good offer for him then we should move him on .
  • edited November 2018
    Did not see the match. Was Masuaku that bad? I actually think he is a winger and not a fullback so is out of position.
  • They were in every respect so much better than us.

It was not pleasing.
  • This is the first match of city's slide toward relegation. ;biggrin

nurse
  • That's 17 they've put past us in our last 4 home games against them.
  • I am sure the players will enjoy Pelles positive tactics despite losing Its far more positive for a team to be told, regardless of opposition, lets get at them and try and create something.

We look ok and at the end of the day we are not at the present moment competing with the top five but hopefully from 5-10 we can now hold our own.
  • edited November 2018
    I do also feel sorry for Masuakou who has winger able to support a defender written all over him. If given a chance he could be a very dangerous winger and I would prefer him further up the pitch than playing Antonio.
  • agree that Arthur is not a LB , saying that thought Antonio had his best game this season for us, not that he had much to beat in reality.
  • I've thought for some time that we need an extra button as "Excellent" and "Made me laugh" don't quite cover what I'm sure a lot of us feel when we read some of the comments on threads like this.

So, I'm proposing a "Get the nurse" button for times when a poster is obviously in need of immediate medical attention

If a post receives enough "Nurses" then maybe an automated message could be sent to the emergency services requesting their assistance for the poor Hammer in question ;biggrin

This is the first match of city's slide toward relegation. ;biggrin

nurse
    This is exactly what I had in mind, alongside the thumbs up, star and smilie at the bottom of the page.

C'mon grey, you know it makes sense ;whistle
  • If we aren't going to play with wingbacks, it might be better for Arthur to move on. Unless Pelle thinks that he can coach him to be a better defender.
  • We need to get some points now. Loads of winnable games coming up.
  • Yes. Masuaku needs to be used as a winger or wingback.
  • Imo, Masuaku is actually a good tackler. He lacks concentration, which makes him a bad defender. It’s a mentality thing, again imo.
  • For me, it comes down to what is a player's first thought.

I think Arthur is more focused on attacking/moving forward, whereas a natural defender's first priority is not letting his man get past him.

As such, he is always going to be prone to lapses if played as a full back.
  • Just back from the game. We were frightened of City. 3 softer goals I have never seen before, didn’t see the 4th as I left with 20 mins to go. Cresswell should have started. Armie is becoming annoying, a real lack of effort. Antonio is not a footballer, needs to go. Zabaleta was excellent as were Rice and Diop
  • Thought Diangana did well again beat his man a few times and won a few corners
  • Pep claims City were lucky as they were way below their best. If that's the case how lucky were we that they weren't at their best.
  • I do think that on any other day the scoreline itself may have shown a better balanced reflection of the game but let us be clear, the distribution of points was never in doubt as you always felt that City could move up a gear if they really had to.
  • So under Pellegrini...

With 2 central midfielders; PL5, W0 D0 L5, GF2 GA14
    With 3 central midfielders: PL8, W3 D3 L2, GF11 GA8

I think the conclusion is obvious.
  • we need points now and we lose the only guy capable of banging goals in. This is going to be a slog fest over December if Arnie is out for a sustainable period of time.

Hernandez / Perez / Antonio are dire...and i wouldn't count on Carroll lasting.
  • So under Pellegrini...

With 2 central midfielders; PL5, W0 D0 L5, GF2 GA14
    With 3 central midfielders: PL8, W3 D3 L2, GF11 GA8

I think the conclusion is obvious.

Against what sort of teams?

Because it's not all about how we line up.
This discussion has been closed.