Brexit

Comments

• "would be worse off economically"

again, possibly, but for how long??

A reasoned economic and political argument:

I believe that "areas" (call them countries or counties or states) should be as politically and economically self sufficient as humanly and environmentally possible. I believe that in the pursuit of globalism (unfettered international capital) and perpetual growth, at any cost, we have lost sight of what is important for current, and certainly future generations. The EU (imo) fosters and promotes what has gone wrong with the World. It stands shoulder to shoulder with "corporations" and it`s agenda seeks to support and promote big business and big government. The people of Europe are often treated as an afterthought. If you are making policy decisions Europe wide, inevitably you are going to hack some people off. The bigger the EU gets, by common logic, the more people you will end up hacking off. Just because the World is going the way of huge trading blocs, and if you`re not in one you are somehow left out or disadvantaged, doesn`t make this right. Trade blocs and trade deals are not done for the benefit of you or I, they are done for the benefit of global corporate interests. The EU and it`s army of bureaucrats exist to promote and perpetuate the existing order. I don`t like the existing order. I don`t think that the existing order, the status quo, is particularly successful. If we have the opportunity to leave and forge our own path I think we should. I don`t want everything I use, consume and own to have travelled half way round the World and back again, that can`t be good, can it? By leaving I am hoping that we will be forced, possibly by necessity, to start actually making things again, a novel idea I know. Within the EU we have no incentive to make a change, in fact any radical changes we may want to make may fall foul of EU law. I am not blaming the EU for all the Worlds problems, and they are not at fault for most of the things that are wrong with this country, most are probably self inflicted. But as a country we have pursued certain goals and agendas that have run parallel with the EU. We have had common goals and objectives. I don`t like what the EU has become or what it strives to be. The more power the EU concentrates within its own hands, the more hamstrung and dependent member states become. That is not a good thing either politically or economically. More autonomy, less autocracy.
  • edited December 2018
    Madcap, no offence, but unfortunately the sort of world you dream of only happens in fantasy movies and CBBC.

This whole fiasco is giving shambles a bad name.
  • Bubbles, I beg to differ. Tinky Winky, Dipsy, Laa Laa and Po have made a great success of Teletubbyland. An autonomous region that is self sustaining, eco friendly, and anti authoritarian. It sits on the edge of Europe and trades quite freely with its neighbours. It can be done.
  • edited December 2018
    Anyone seen Andy Serkis' send up? ;lol

Check out @Independent’s Tweet:
  • That is brilliant!

Blue passportses ;lol
  • Where's the link to the spoof video?
  • Moojor

This is the link to the Independent's twitter post:

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1072054691826204673

and the link to the video on their website:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/andy-serkis-gollum-theresa-may-brexit-deal-vote-lord-of-the-rings-a8675661.html
  • Cheers Grey,

it was more a tongue in cheek comment. Hard to tell that video from a norm press release of May :)
  • edited December 2018
    Mooj ;ok
  • edited December 2018
    I want out,,,, 10 15 years ago I would voted to stay in , but not now

eu just take take take prop up Greece Portugal and so on, then get told uk will have the in 5 years, the red tape to get out
    Also interest rates set by the country I live in
  • Also I must know of 2000 to 3000 people who wanted to leave 4 people wanted to stay ,,, stats don’t add up
  • imagelost said:

I want out,,,, 10 15 years ago I would voted to stay in , but t now

eu just take take take prop up Greece Portugal and so on, then get told uk will have the in 5 years, the red tape to get out

That should have said the uk will have ereo
  • imagelost said:

I want out,,,, 10 15 years ago I would voted to stay in , but not now

So who sets our interest rates? Because a quick google seems to show it being set by the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee
  • Even our politicians don't understand the impact of brexit fully so the public had no chance for a fully informed vote. I blame slimy Dave
  • edited December 2018
    Not sure we can pin this one on Sullivan ;hmm
  • Image, that's a hell of a big circle of friends, relatives and acquaintances you have.
    Also, if one of the reasons you voted to leave was because of who sets interests rates, you were obviously misinformed, although as Mooj said, it only needed a quick Google to put that right. I wonder what other misinformation you (and those other 2000 to 3000) believed.
  • Not sure we can pin this one on Sullivan ;hmm

Ronnie gets the blame for everything after all he’s done on the green Blaize
  • Image the points you make seem to me to actually point out what a good deal we get with the EU as your complaints actually do apply to most but not ourselves.

The bail out for Greece as far as I know did not include mandatory contributions from ourselves as we have an opt out.

We cannot be forced to accept the Euro against our wishes and do set our own interest rates.

We are also opted out of Schengen zone so could not be forced to take refugees against our will.

And we also hold a veto so could prevent the dreaded by some Euro army.

We most likely had the most gold plated membership their was.

The EU is far from perfect and will need reform to survive and it could collapse anyhow in ten years time, but the position we were in I cannot see how you can gain by deliberately giving yourself worse trading relations than you currently have. Trade is global now and trade decides your economy full stop, so we will be poorer in my view as the power house of any nation is the economy. It's also of note that we rely upon financial services and if that starts to get picked off we have no substantial manufacturing base to rely on, we could become the poor man of Europe as we have massive debt to service and rely upon tax receipts to do so. The other issue is the moment our rate of borrowing goes up we could be pretty much finished in even attempting to service our debt, we lost our triple AAA the day after Brexit I believe, Junk is not too far away in worst case scenarios.
  • The devil will always be in the details and there are lots and lots of details involved in the decision to leave the EU entails.

The big picture is what I try to look at, seven years ago, the UK was the worlds ninth largest economy, at the time of the vote, we were fifth - therefore, despite the admitted inefficiency and bureaucracy of the E.U. we were actually doing rather well.

I think that immigration fear mongering played a really big part in the leave hyperbole, there is a commitment to being a member but at the end of the day, if the global situation reached a point where excessive immigration presented a clear danger to the security of the UK, we have the unique ability to close our borders literally overnight.

After all we do have a pretty good wall, and Mexico is not under threat to pay for it.

• Claret, your post illustrates the problem with the Remain argument - cold facts are simply not sexy/emotive enough.

Now, put an arch-Brexiteer like Farage in front of a long line of people with the implication that they're all undesirable/illegal immigrants, or plaster lies on a BIG RED BUS - that's bound to get a reaction.

Then for good measure, add a few "EU court won't let us deport terrorists" headlines in the Brexiteer press, ignoring that the ECHR (European Court of Human Rights) is not a part of the EU, and you've really got something to boil the blood.
  • Tory MPs vote tonight on whether they support Theresa May as Tory leader (and Prime Minister), she needs 158 to avoid a leadership election.

Boris was on the Andrew Marr show on Sunday with a new, tidy haircut so obviously he fancies his chances.
  • Bubbles, you`re right. I wish I`d looked at the cold hard facts before voting. Too easily swayed I guess.

I`m sure if The Remainers had used words like "crashing out", "emergency budget", "disaster for The UK", "flights grounded", "food shortages", "drugs in short supply", "disaster for NHS" and used the full weight of the establishment, including the BofE and one or two A list celebs, and say someone like Barack Obama, to get their message across, things may well have turned out different.

Still, when we have The Peoples Vote (as opposed to The Plebs Vote, I guess) then perhaps the Remainers can "sexy" it up a bit, and we won`t be so easily bamboozled by Boris and his bus.

• edited December 2018
    We live in hope, Madcap. ;wink

More seriously, as others have stated, there is no single 'Brexit' manifesto. People clearly opted for Brexit for a wide range of reasons.

The fact that you made a clear, informed choice based on long-standing principles does not necessarily imply that others did the same.

I would be amazed if many of those who voted to leave will actually see the results they imagined/expected once Brexit is complete.
  • edited December 2018

The bail out for Greece as far as I know did not include mandatory contributions from ourselves as we have an opt out.

We cannot be forced to accept the Euro against our wishes and do set our own interest rates.

This sort of thing depresses the hell out of me. How many people voted Leave on the basis of facts that were just 100% wrong.

I get that opinions will differ as to whether the trade deals we can negotiate on our own will be better/worse than a trade deal negotiated as part of a larger group, or whether immigrants are a good/bad thing.

But for crying out loud - why vote to Leave in order to get the power to do something you can do something that you already have the power to do. ;doh
  • Madcap, I sense a hint of sarcasm there.

It's true what you say but those "........" you mention were nowhere to be seen in the media that appealed most to Brexiteers, or they were simply branded "Project Fear".

And if you indeed voted to leave having ignored the "........." etc. then you must believe all the pie in the sky have your cake and eat it promises of the sunlit uplands (although your posts don't seem to indicate that you're gullible enough to fall for that).
  • Bubbles. My point is, Remain was the "official" position, and was supported as such with the full weight of the establishment (and Bob Geldof) and still lost. I am becoming ever more confident that Brexit, I.E. a clean break from membership of the EU, will not happen and any "deal" will only paper over the cracks. The UK is divided, this should have been an opportunity to unite the country behind a common objective. I am 100% sure that if the government had appointed a cross party "cabinet" whose sole responsibility was to deliver a clean workable Brexit then we would be in a far stronger position than we are now. I suppose what the past two years have shown me is that politicians, both here and in Europe, are even further back along the evolutionary timeline than I previously thought. Self. Serving. Scum.
  • Madcap, as Grey posted above
    More seriously, as others have stated, there is no single 'Brexit' manifesto. People clearly opted for Brexit for a wide range of reasons.
    The fact that you made a clear, informed choice based on long-standing principles does not necessarily imply that others did the same.

I posted the following on this thread a while back
    I was reading an article in the Grauniad, and the writer said that his wife's uncle had voted Leave because his son was training to be a doctor and he didn't like the health minister, Jeremy Hunt, who was a Remainer. So much for an in-depth analysis…

Brexit has created a national division that was never there in the first place. The referendum was just a sop to the ERG in the Tory party. I don't recall there being a national clamour for it to take place.
  • The Conservatives included a referendum on EU membership in their 2015 manifesto because they were worried that UKIP would split the Tory vote in marginal seats and they'd lose them to Labour.

Whether that threat was real or not is debatable but Cameron won a majority so it could be argued it was a clever move. Had he not done it we might be grumbling about our Prime Minister's inability to eat a bacon sandwich, that bloody great Ed stone would be in No. 10's back garden and no one would know who Jeremy Corbyn was.
  • Only one man can save Britain now...

DuNRD_ZXQAE4al0
  • Bubbles. You are simply trying to reinforce the myth (smear) that all Remain voters voted using their undoubted superior intelligence, logic, and their unerring ability to see through the gumph and analyse the minutiae of complex international agreements. Whereas leavers, well, they`re just a little bit thick. Gammons, I think the term is? Brexiters would have undoubtedly voted for many differing reasons, I can`t really see a problem with that. I also dislike Jeremy Hunt, I think he is only part human. I must admit, without the vote I really couldn`t have given two hoots about the EU, whether we were in or out etc. etc. so in that respect, having been given a choice, it has polarised peoples views, it has split the country. I agree, without the vote we would probably been in a happier time and place. The 1970`s would do for me. ;icecream