Brexit

1323334353638»

Comments

• edited April 2019
    What bullying?

If you, or anyone, makes a claim, it seems perfectly reasonable for others to ask for clarification regarding sources or evidence.

People are free to think what they like, but facts aren't matters of opinion.
  • Rees=Mogg's sister is standing as an MEP for the Brexit Party and BoJo's sister is standing for Change UK.

This could be fun...
  • edited December 2019
    Bubbles, I had the op in Evagelismos hospital, a Greek public hospital in Athens, which I attended as a walk-in emergency. I had a copy of a private MRI scan, the only thing I had to pay for.I was admitted within 6 hours,saw a consultant the following day, and had the op a week later. The medical team there were superb. As the UK is still part of the EU, the E111 card was valid, so instead of having to come back to the UK, and take up NHS resources, the Greek system took the strain (and re-charge the NHS). If the Brexit deal doesn't include the E111, it's estimated that around 1m expats will end up going back to the UK for ongoing healthcare,
  • Grey, it is my understanding that qualifying for Uk healthcare is essentially based on residency, I assume that residence in a EU country currently qualifies under a reciprocal agreement, surely if Brexit does go through without the issue being adequately addressed, then I doubt that EU expats can simply just go back to the UK for care.

Just for clarity, I think you are suggesting that around 1m current expats will return permanently to the UK to secure on going access to affordable healthcare.
  • edited December 2019
    Grey, thanks for the info.
    A totally different picture is painted of Greece by Murdoch and all the other right-wing press, as you are well aware of.
    I think many leavers would be surprised to hear your account of the health service there as compared with ours.
    My brother, who voted to leave the EU, is moving to Spain with his Remainer girlfriend next month.
    The thing which was the "last straw" for him was travelling into London to work on the train and only hearing "other languages".
    I know, I know, you couldn't make it up.
    I asked him what he plans to do about health insurance.
    He replied that Spain is so dependent on Brit tourism that there'd be "no problem". At this point, I gave up.

Brexit, a well thought out idea - not.

You didn't say whether you'll be having a wee dram :biggrin:

• Will he be speaking in Spanish when travelling on the Spanish train system, through recalling his own fury when travelling on the trains of his own glorious nation and being forced to hear foreign languages? will he refer to himself as an immigrant or an ex-pat?

• Claret, exactly the point that I tried to make to him.
  • Chicago, yes, they will face the choice of resettling in the UK, or finding the funds for private healthcare. It was one of the many financial implications of Brexit that was simply ignored. At the moment the E111 card covers UK citizens in Europe.
  • Bubbles - a.few London Pride, a couple of glasses of wine and a soupçon of delicious Tawny Port.
  • Bubbles, your brother's attitude puts me inind of a Spanish expat who voted leave, and then said she hadn't thought it would impact on her right to stay in Spain...
  • Grey, sad innit. As I said earlier, you couldn't make it up. :biggrin: