Brexit

Comments

• edited November 2018
    Before Baz gets in ;biggrin and for a few minutes light relief, KC - take it away my man

• Keir Starmer is this year's Dan Jarvis who was being tipped as a possible future Labour leader a few years ago.
  • edited November 2018
    ;doh

Sorry, Bubbles.

I was typing without my reading glasses. Which scrambles my brain, and my eye-hand coordination.
  • Keir Starmer is this year's Dan Jarvis who was being tipped as a possible future Labour leader a few years ago.

;jarvis
  • If that's true we can expect some sterling work but for his final ball to let him down! And ultimately he will get shipped out to the Lib Dems.
  • Ok, let’s not rule out KC and the sunshine band as future leaders of the Labour Party. On the negative, they are an American pop funk outfit who probably know nothing about British politics or the Labour Party. On the plus side he wears cosmic trousers, bad hair, but he sings a good tune and has no anti Semitic history.
  • he wears cosmic trousers, bad hair, but he sings a good tune and has no anti Semitic history.
    Well, I've not heard JC sing, but otherwise that's him pretty much, isn't it?
  • And now for some trivia ;biggrin
    Until I posted the link to the KC and Sunshine Band video, I actually never had any idea that KC was white. His real name is Harry Wayne Casey, hence the KC - geddit ;wink
    He also co-wrote that great song from 1974 "Rock Your Baby" by George McCrae.
    You live and learn ;lol
  • JC can't do the floss, sack him!
  • I think it has now officially been upgraded to omnishambles.
  • At her next meeting with the EU Mrs May should wear a yellow hi-viz. The French would soon crumble. ;biggrin
  • I like most of what Corbyn stands for, and generally admire the man.

On this issue, I think he has failed as a leader, simply because he is making no real effort to support the Labour position of remain, as it clashes with his personal opinion/preference.

For me, he should either have represented the party position wholeheartedly, or stepped down.

I find it difficult to understand how anyone can admire Corbyn, an individual who has Sinn Fein/IRA sympathies and counts Gerry Adams among his friends. That for me totally negates any worthwhile policies he might have. God forbid if he ever became PM.
  • I'll be in Italy the weekend of the 29th of March, along with some friends. On 1 April, they will be flying back to London and I'll be returning to Greece.

Hopefully.

;puzzled
  • edited December 2018
    DJ

Not really sure what you mean by Corbyn having Sinn Fein IRA sympathies.

He has been pretty clear that he condemns all violence.

He is for a united Ireland.

So am I, but I don't support or condone any of the violence used in recent times to further that aim (or to oppose it), and there's nothing to suggest Corbyn does either.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-corbyn-on-northern-ireland

Politicians often meet with a range of figures who may be seen as controversial.

If there's no dialogue, how can there be progress?
  • There's a certain irony that it is the fact that there isn't a united Ireland (a situation that can be laid entirely at the door of England and 'Westminster') is what is currently proving the stumbling block.

• edited December 2018
    I’m thinking of building a bunker in my garden so I can stock pile essentials.

This is not a joke.

I am, I feel, genuinely concerned.
  • edited December 2018
    Think of the blue passports though Suze...

I'm trying to make light of it because I'm concerned about the whole debacle too. I mean, I've always thought of politicians as self-serving peacocks who are so hopelessly out of touch with the people they're employed to represent, but I've always thought that when push came to shove, they had the best interests of the country at their cold, selfish hearts.

For the first time though I'm genuinely worried that they're putting their own careers and party politics ahead of the fate of the country as a whole.

May's decision to cancel the vote purely because she was likely to lose has made me lose any shred of faith that I had in this country's political process.
  • Couldn’t have put it better myself.
  • edited December 2018
    It's clear she (this govt) can't deliver what is currently 'acceptable' to 'the country'

We are at a stalemate, with no way forward.

So push off, and let someone else have a go. Or let 'the country' think again and review their decision on what is 'acceptable'.

In all circs, this govt has failed, and has no hope for future success.

Time's running out. The longer they delay, the more they'll damage the country. Give it up ;doh
  • Tory party is a joke.
  • No deal best option. IMHO we voted out let’s get out!
  • This whole thing is a perfect storm of poltical incompetence...

Cameroon and May both useless...

Opposition not doing it's job of a viable alternative.

The guys that lead the exit none of them in power or more interested in themselves..

SNP using is to push their own agenda of Independence..

Basically the British people are being poorly lead.... Time to put on our yellow tops and take to the streets...
  • No deal best option. IMHO we voted out let’s get out!

What's your solution to the issue of where the land border is between the EU an the UK.
  • The problem is the people charged with delivering Brexit don't actually want it. Well apart from David Davies but he proved to be as much use as a chocolate teapot.

There will be a second referendum and Brexit will be over.
  • edited December 2018

The problem is the people charged with delivering Brexit don't actually want it.

I look at it diferently.

Lots of people want Brexit, but for different reasons and consequently want it to take different forms (or have different 'red lines' and compromises they are prepared to make).

So they are aiming for a one-size-fits-all. When it clearly doesn't. (so in a way, those charged with delivering it have given an impossible task. But I can't find it in me to be sympathetic, since they got us into this mess in the first place.)

What they sow, so shall they reap.

Short term decision after short term decision.

That's not leadership, and its not governing.

If they were a PL manager, they'd have been sacked by now.

• If there is another referendum I won’t bother voting ever again because clearly my vote would mean nothing as it did in the original,
  • I voted for leaving but they have made such a hash of it, I think we are better off staying because if it is left to this lot to deliver it, this mess could get a whole lot worse.