Burnley (H) Saturday 2nd Nov, 15:00

12345679»

Comments

• edited November 2018
    The tackle on Diangana was a fully front-on tackle that IMO was clearly intended to simply take him out.
    In Noble's case, Ndidi was coming in at an angle (ie. not front-on) and they both had a 50-50 chance to win the ball but unfortunately Noble's studs were up.
    I actually think that the tackle on Diangana was more deserving of a red card than Noble's.
  • I think we'll have to agree to disagree thornbury, this is from the current, 2018/9 Laws of the Game from the FA website:

Advantage
    If the referee plays the advantage for an offence for which a caution / send off would have been issued had play been stopped, this caution / send off must be issued when the ball is next out of play, except for the denial of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity when the player is cautioned for unsporting behaviour.

Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play, violent conduct or a second cautionable offence unless there is a clear opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send off the player when the ball next out of play but if the player plays the ball or challenges/interferes with an opponent, the referee will stop play, send off the player and restart with an indirect free kick unless the player committed a more serious offence.

Nothing here, to my mind, that says he couldn't have sent him off after the goal was scored.
  • edited November 2018
    Cuz1 said:

I do too think even Lukerz is warming to him

Must admit he has been different class this season. Not only his attitude (which I have never criticised) but the level of his performances as a RB have been brilliant.

I do think having Pelle here is helping him. He obviously worked with him at City & there may be some influence from the coaching staff. Last season I felt he struggled due to his lack of pace (gave away a few penalties in the early parts of the season) but that doesn’t seem to have been an issue this season.

He would always be in my predicted team at the moment.
  • Away win ;wahoo
  • Am I the only one who wasn't convinced it was a pen on Grady? Couldn't see contact for certain & although he didn't make a meal of it I can see why the ref wasn't sure as it looked like he was leaving a leg in?

But then even Dyche said pen. ;hmm

Must be me
  • edited November 2018
    Buffy I will try to find again where I read that this rule was changed because it became apparent that the offender could either end up scoring a goal or preventing a goal which would effectively have nullified the advantage. A rider was put in to the effect that if the referee deems it a red card offence he must stop the game.
    Regardless of any of this the ref obviously deemed it not to be a red and issued a yellow.
  • Lukerz

Well, you and Roger East... ;wink

It's nailed on, for me. Defender gets none of the ball, and plenty of Diangana.
  • edited November 2018
    its a pen 100% the ref had a shocker all game not just that incident.
  • I just thought he left his leg in. Dragged it. Looked unnatural to me once he went by the defender & I can’t see certain contact. Just a lunge & a fall. Maybe it was but I can see why the ref wasn’t 100% sure.
  • Lukerz, I know what you mean as that's something that gets right up my nose and it gets a penalty awarded so many times, but in this instance I think it really did warrant one.
  • Not sure how you can get that, Luke.

The MotD pictures make it pretty clear.
  • Was 100% a pen for me, the only thing East did well with was playing on for what IMO should have been a red card for our goal...
  • 100% a Pen for me...

Also the tackle on Diangana after he made the pass for the goal was a straight red imo.
  • Stonewall penalty if had been Burnley’s forward and our defence it would have been two penalties a red card and probably forfeit the game changer lol
  • Another view of it here. Funniest thing is at half time you can hear Grady talking to the ref at half time. He said he (Grady) makes contact with the Burnley player ;doh
  • I've heard of giving your shirt away, but your shorts - Felipe ;nonono ;nonono
  • edited November 2018
    On the discussion about going back for a red card, I am pretty sure it doesn’t happen retrospectively. What if he played advantage and then Tarkowski made a saving challenge and stopped Anderson scoring? What if he broke with the ball and score?

I don’t really think I have ever seen a ref wave for advantage then send someone off.
  • edited November 2018
    If he made a saving challenge, well, if play had been stopped we still wouldn't have scored anyway. If he broke with the ball the ref would stop play, as stated in the rules:

The referee must send off the player when the ball next out of play but if the player plays the ball or challenges/interferes with an opponent, the referee will stop play, send off the player and restart with an indirect free kick unless the player committed a more serious offence.

I agree it doesn't happen often, but there is nothing in the current rules that says it can't happen; in fact, it is specifically allowed for in the rules.
  • edited November 2018
    Pelle is looking more & more like just the man we needed.

Softly spoken, passionate but calm, well respected, not controversial or inflammatory, prepared to play youngsters if good enough, attacking team selection, positive subs, not an OTT focus on clean sheets, passing football etc.

Hoping he is going to be here a long while & build something special.
  • Buffy ;ok - I suppose it works simply by allowing play to progress & as soon as the advantage is lost (we lose possession), the ref blows his whistle & either plays a drop ball or awards us a free-kick where the original offence was & then sends him off. So there is no time limit on the advantage, as soon as we lose possession or the ball goes out of play he stops & sends the player off.

The difficulty is always going to be the slight injustice of a player who should have been sent off then getting back into the box & making an intervention which stops us scoring; like a goal-line block. Or, the player who should have gone then makes another late challenge which seriously inures another player.

Like alderz, I've never seen it enforced. It's always advantage for a foul that results in a yellow card or no card, but a red sees the play stopped immediately.
  • Buffy these are the instructions given to refs regarding the rule quoted

“Advantage may only be played in a clear goal scoring opportunity in a red card situation ie a tap in. Otherwise the red card must be issued immediately.”

He obviously didn’t see it as a red card offence anyway because he issued a yellow.
  • edited November 2018
    He obviously didn’t see anything! He missed awarding the penalty & a couple of other very poor challenges.
This discussion has been closed.