Burnley (H) Saturday 2nd Nov, 15:00

Comments

• Does anyone else think Mr Probert should have used a bit of compassion, based on the circumstances, when booking Gray for taking his shirt off to reveal a t shirt in honour of their late owner after scoring the wining goal at Cardiff?

Law 12 states that “A player must be cautioned for”...“removing the shirt or covering the head with the shirt". It isn't discretionary so what was the ref supposed to do? Say he didn't see it?
  • Talking about refs, our hopeless ref on Sat, Roger East was only making his 2nd PL game of the season, after originally failing a fitness test, I personally think he needs his eyes tested as well.
  • Should have gone to Specsavers.
  • Decided I hate Burnley
  • I can't hate Burnley, there's a Burnley fan at the pub (I'll go easy on him).
  • Really begin to dislike Burnley, not to CFC proportions but they are getting on my nerves now, horrible little team with awful tactics and Frankly how they ended up with 11 men on the pitch is beyond me

Roger East is shocking
  • And to think they stole our colours. ;angry ;biggrin
  • Just watched the Diop interview on the official site. He doesn't think he is playing well at the moment. Cant wait to see him when he thinks he is good!
  • Actually they stole Villa's colours in 1911, before that they wore green shirts with white shorts but they decided green was an unlucky colour.
  • The challenge on Grady in the build-up to the second goal gets more shocking every time I see it. Horrible tackle.
  • Jorderz ;ok IMO it should have been a red card, but 1 of only a few decent decisions by ref Roger East got partly right was to allow play to continue.
  • Zaba talking about Diangana

“As with all the young players, we need to make sure we give him the confidence. I’m playing behind him so I’m trying to keep talking to him all the time, telling him ‘no worries, next time’ if he loses the ball and giving him confidence.
    Read more at https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/november/05-november/zabaleta-grady-looks-dangerous-every-time-he-has-ball#R6tl1XdjM1DcSlme.99
  • I do too think even Lukerz is warming to him
  • Does anyone else think Mr Probert should have used a bit of compassion, based on the circumstances, when booking Gray for taking his shirt off to reveal a t shirt in honour of their late owner after scoring the wining goal at Cardiff?

Law 12 states that “A player must be cautioned for”...“removing the shirt or covering the head with the shirt". It isn't discretionary so what was the ref supposed to do? Say he didn't see it?
    Yes. ;wink
  • Aslef, that was the reason for the (ironic) grin.
  • Problem is, as someone said earlier, if an exception had been made for this, then nobody could be booked going forward because all they'd need to do is have an emotional message on their tee shirt and claim it meant something deeply personable.
  • Jorderz ;ok IMO it should have been a red card, but 1 of only a few decent decisions by ref Roger East got partly right was to allow play to continue.

I disagree. I thought a yellow was enough. He didn't have studs up and it looked worse than it actually was.
  • thorn,

As someone said earlier there is deeply personal to one individual or something which the whole football community can relate to. ;ok
  • Herb

Imo, it was as bad, or worse, than the challenge that Marky Mark was sent off for.
  • Disagree Grey. Noble was studs up.
  • He was not in control the tackle was reckless and dangerous imo
  • Regardless of the angle of his studs, the force was excessive. He could hand ended Grady’s season.
  • It's a difficult one. The ref waived play on and we scored from the attack. A ref can then go back and yellow card an offender but I don't think he can issue a red card. Retrospective red cards can only be issued during a match, as far as I'm aware, if the ref missed the incident and it was later brought to his attention. This rule change was implemented this season following the use of VAR at the World Cup.
    The ref saw it so if he deemed it a red he would have had to stop play and issue it.
    Luckily Grady was not injured and we scored so I'll settle for that but I wouldn't be surprised if the assessor mentioned it.
  • I don't think that's right thornbury, I see no reason at all why a ref can't allow play to continue and then issue a red in the same way that he can issue a yellow. Why do you think that he would have had to stop play to issue it, rather than issue it at the next break in play?
  • Poor old Zab, his legs have gone... ;whome

208B4F26-CE4C-4B59-A776-522026405EDA
  • Buffy the law stated that the ref can go back and issue a red when the ball is next out of play BUT he can't play advantage if there is serious foul play, violent conduct or a second yellow offence unless there's a clear opportunity to score a goal. However this could lead to the offending player getting involved again before he was sent off. Therefore the law now says the ref must stop the game and issue the red.
    In this case my guess is that either the ref didn't think it serious or violent.
  • I think you've just proven my point thornbury, as there very obviously was a clear opportunity to score, so no reason whatsoever that he couldn't have issued a red after the goal if he had wanted to.
  • Buffy you missed the point that the law now says the ref must stop the game to issue a red card. He can't play advantage and then go back to issue it as the player could still be involved when he wouldn't have been on the pitch.
    The beginning of my post was how the law stood but it has been changed so the ref had to stop the game if he thought it warranted a red card. He obviously didn't so played advantage then went back and gave the yellow.
    Retrospective reds are only for offences missed by the ref of mistaken identity.
This discussion has been closed.