Spurs (home) 7:45pm League Cup 31/10/2018 Trick or Treat?

Comments

• Never happy to lose, but if you think about the dross we've served up in these games in previous seasons, that was a massive improvement. We no longer look scared of the ball. I really don't see how anyone could knock any of the players tonight.

I can knock plenty Anderson and Antonio were woeful.
    Chicharito beyond useless...
    Masuaku isn't a defender.
  • edited October 2018
    Only positives were Diangana, he could mould into Lanzini wants the ball and has the bottle to take on his man, give him more game time and he will shine like Rice is.
    Rice rapidly turning into Kante, its a shame the players in front Antonio Chicharito Anderson lack vision or a brain.
    Fredericks looked decent second half, non existant in the first half.
    Loudest cheers of the night were for Snodgrass because he could be bothered to actually chase down players and put them under pressure. Something the guy he subbed on for couldn't. Quite incredible how a guy we wanted gone and slated by the chairman puts in the most effort.

• Lukerz said:

10 x better that than anything we served up last season.

The coconut milk or the football ;hmm
  • Diangana looks like he could be some player. Flashes of brilliance in tight areas would quick feet. Certainly one to persist with. Perez getting a goal will help him and it may be worth getting him in the line-up on Saturday if we can. Arnie back on Saturday will undoubtedly help us as an attacking unit.
  • OCS

I don't think we were a very good side in the last year of the Boleyn, even though we got some very good results, and were often fun to watch.

We had an outstanding player in Payet, and a really good goals to shots ratio.

I think how we are playing now is far more controlled and organised.

I can't bring myself to use the word philosophy, but it seems clear to me that Pelle has a way that he wants us to play, and that we have the players to deliver that, who are getting the hang of it.

I look forward to each of our games now, not in the vague hope that, if they all play to their potential that we might nick something, but rather in the expectation of watching us play decent stuff, feeling that if we score our chances we will probably win.

For me, we are miles better to watch than anything in recent years, and I'd include the Payet side in that, because that was, for those players and Slav, clearly a one-off season, whereas I feel Pelle is laying the foundation, with the players he has brought in, and the style he is getting them to play, of finally moving us forward to be a team looking at the top teams, rather than worrying about the bottom ones.

I'm not worried at all, and if it takes half or even most of the season for us to finally click, so be it; I believe the long-term results will be well worth the wait.
  • edited November 2018
    Hamstew said:

Some of those players performances were disgraceful. Players on shed loads of money strolling around whilst players on less than a quarter of their salary busting a gut. Pathetic.

Wow, I couldn't disagree with that more if I did an MA in Furiously Disagreeing.
  • What I found pathetic was the fans. It was embarrassing and I didn’t enjoy the game at all. People around me who couldn’t even bother to sign bubbles but or make some noise when we were moving forward but would shout abuse at our own players when it didn’t work out. When some sections of our fans did try to raise a chant, it died out instead of spreading to the rest.

I went to a Marseilles game on the weekend with a friend from there who has a season ticket and it was the polar opposite, singing through literally every minute of the game, even when PSG scored. Really hit home how entitled a lot of our fans are, I think. (Yes, I refused to cheer Payet at any point)
  • Hamstew said:

Some of those players performances were disgraceful. Players on shed loads of money strolling around whilst players on less than a quarter of their salary busting a gut. Pathetic.

Wow, I couldn't disagree with that more if I did an MA in Furiously Disagreeing.
    Yep I can't understand your side either. Interesting to see how people have different views on things. I wonder if I had watched it on TV if I'd have a different opinion on things but I can only take what I saw when the game was close enough for me as well as everyone else's reaction around me.
  • Some of the fans were beyond pathetic. Guy run on the pitch and I said they'll score and they did. Predictable really. Loads of kids wanting a fight after. Sad people.
  • Oh and the security. Took us an age to get through so we missed ko. When I got to front the guy said stuff it go through.
  • OCS some fans were pathetic but you get them at every club I think the majority we willing the team to do well but unfortunately the team have not been delivering much to cheer about. Dianagana was the highlight along with Rice , Musaka Antonio Anderson bitterly disappointing for me
  • Ham

Fair enough.

I just can't think of any players who I felt were strolling around.
  • Hamstew said:

Oh and the security. Took us an age to get through so we missed ko. When I got to front the guy said stuff it go through.

Security over there is a joke. Someone got a flare into the ground!
  • I think to be missing Balbuena, Zabaleta, Reid, Noble, Wilshere, Lanzini, Yarmolenko, Arnie (from the off) &, to a lesser degree, Carroll, & still perform to that level where we were clearly trying to go about winning the game in a particular way & creating good opportunities was very encouraging. Our overall play was good but we didn't defend well, something we have been doing well since September. So maybe we give the side the benefit of the doubt last night? The offside trap is now starting to look good, the high line looks more natural, the passing less 'gritted teeth' & more confident that we will find a player. We had countless opportunities to create a clear chance with good approach play but we lacked that cutting edge, mainly due to Antonio being the one in many of the good positions but not possessing the brain to do anything about it. Masuaku made a poor error for goal 2, goal 3 was a repeat of most of what Ogbonna does when defending (grappling the man instead of trying to just go & head the ball). The first was a bit sloppy.

It was disappointing to lose the game but I can't agree we weren't interested. I thought there was plenty of effort. I'm pretty sure come Xmas people will be looking forward to 2019 instead of dreading it.
  • OCS some fans were pathetic but you get them at every club I think the majority we willing the team to do well but unfortunately the team have not been delivering much to cheer about. Dianagana was the highlight along with Rice , Musaka Antonio Anderson bitterly disappointing for me

The moaning was just around me but the ground was almost completely quiet for most of the game (and then you had the two idiots who ran on). If we're going to call out players, we should probably also give them something to feed off.
  • I agree the two who ran on the pitch should be banned for life they helped contribute to the 3rd Spurs goal. Where I was sitting the fans were trying their best losing at home to Spurs is enough to dampen anyones mood. Spurs time wasting after we scored should have resulted in a booking , the ref basiclaay gave Wanyama free reign to foul as much as he liked
  • https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/november/01-november/west-ham-united-club-statement

Both pitch invaders arrested and charged by the police; also life bans by the club. ;ok
  • edited November 2018
    I am enjoying our football much much more this season. Despite the results not coming we play with aggression, flair and purpose. The spuds defensive third was besieged for large parts of the game.

Diangana is going to be a big player for us I feel. He has all the skills I enjoy watching and will only get better. Rice is another massive player.

Now for the guilty men (I am going to name them) ;cool .
    Anderson can be woeful and he was again last night. I was pleased to see our 40m + man replaced at ht by the ever reliable Snodgrass. As I became more excited in the summer with our marquee acquisitions I wouldn't have believed that I'd want Snoddie on in place of Anderson. If only for the corners I'd play Snodgrass instead of Anderson. Then there's the effort, Snoddie leaves it all out there and is a marvellous pro.

Antonio does what he does, charge...and batter em but he cannot do much more. Such a shame. He may be too old to learn now.

Chicharito is pointless and hopefully he will move on in January. He doesn't fit in this team.

I am a patient man and will wait while Pelle gets it all together and working like a well oiled machine playing delightful football. The sooner the better obviously but I believe there are good times coming.

Carroll is coming back soon I hope. That will be one big change for the better even if it only lasts for a few months.

In conclusion I agree with OCS and Grey, yes that is possible ;scarf
  • Carroll might last a few months ;puzzled
  • I feel the need to be optimistic today, don't ask me why its far too early for the ;beer
  • Carroll will be gone in the summer
  • What I found pathetic was the fans. It was embarrassing and I didn’t enjoy the game at all. People around me who couldn’t even bother to sign bubbles but or make some noise when we were moving forward but would shout abuse at our own players when it didn’t work out. When some sections of our fans did try to raise a chant, it died out instead of spreading to the rest.

I went to a Marseilles game on the weekend with a friend from there who has a season ticket and it was the polar opposite, singing through literally every minute of the game, even when PSG scored. Really hit home how entitled a lot of our fans are, I think. (Yes, I refused to cheer Payet at any point)

Agree. I said this after the last spurs game which was worse.

When we were at 2-1 the atmosphere was great. Otherwise the most noise we made was booing Alli when he came off.

I really miss the old atmosphere.
  • ;ok Last game I'd been to was the Chelsea cup game we won in the first season, which actually had a pretty decent atmosphere despite the early problems with this stadium. Was really disappointed yesterday.
  • Too many Spurs fans in the home end.
  • Agree with the Above when Anderson couldn't beat the first man with 2 corners then beat everyone with his third corner.
    Diangana free kick, first ball straight onto Antonios forehead.

You could have said Diangana was the 40m man and Anderson was the under 21 struggling to get through a match.

• Too many Spurs fans in the home end.

I know there were some but how many could there've been? You had to have a previous purchase history to get a ticket.
  • I went last night using someone else's ticket. I was called Julie and could have easily been a Spurs, Man U or Torquay fan.
  • Ham

Then that is down to ticket holders.

Can't think too many would have given/sold their ticket to a Spurs fan.
  • Of course it is. But there are a good number of fans that have season tickets that are not even west ham fans so they will sell or give them to mates of mates. The fight that was filmed was only two spurs fans which resulted in quite a few more people getting involved.
  • Personally I think you've got to be a few sarnies short if you end up sitting in the opposition end with your colours on.
This discussion has been closed.