West Ham vs Spurs (15:00, 20/10/18) - Match build-up, commentary, discussion & analysis

Comments

• All in all we should be happy with that performance, although we hate saying it, Spurs are a good side in a decent run of form and we went toe to toe giving them a proper game.

Disappointing not to get anything out of it, yes Andersen had a bit of a mare and yes we squandered a number of good positions, especially from corners, but overall I was happy with the effort and attitude.

Outstanding contributors, Snodders ran his socks off for us and Diop, easily man of the match for me, he is turning out to be quite the player.

On that performance, our table position is misleading, I am feeling confident that under Pelle, we will be just fine this season and I expect us to hold a comfortable mid table position come May.
  • Anderson is a worry for me. I really hope we haven't wasted all that cash.
  • Lukerz said:

We have played 7 of the current top 9 (5 of the current top 6), with the other two games Everton & Brighton away. We can’t judge our current points tally on those games

Sorry Lukerz, but all we can judge our current points tally is on the games we've played.

I agree that we've had a tough start, but ultimately we haven't done enough to get more than seven points from those games.

I know we have an opportunity in the coming months to rack up some points against the other bottom-half teams, but if we don't get better at keeping the ball out of our goal and putting it in theirs, then our situation won't improve at all.
  • edited October 2018

On that performance, our table position is misleading

But performances don't determine team's positions; results do.

We are exactly where we deserve to be, IMO, because we can't turn performances into good results on a consistent enough basis.
  • A really frustrating afternoon.

I feel like banging my head of a wall.

Or off the ref!!

I’ve resorted to Gin.

• Hamstew said:

Anderson is a worry for me. I really hope we haven't wasted all that cash.

He's the very epitome of West Ham. Looks world class one week, then bang average for the next three.
  • I thought that was a great performance and that the result does not reflect the match at all, I will offer my view on both teams because both played really well, I am not suggesting they played beautifully flowing football with many chances but if the aim of both teams were to get the result both were very high quality teams.

West Ham
    We played good probing football with hunger and determination. We played as a team and held and used possession well, giving a performance that would have provided all three points against likely all bar the top four or five teams. Individually we showed we have game changing players in Arnie and Diop is looking like he will turn into a world class defender sooner rather than later, the buy of the summer for me, whilst Zabba is a hero, no end of career trotting about for him, gives everything as if he were an upcoming youth trying to make an impression. The problem was we didn't produce enough goal mouth opportunities to create the goal, but see below.

Spurs
    We made a top four champions league team look second best for large periods of the match but the mark of a good team is that under pressure when unable to dominate and press with flair you need control the danger and snuff it out before reaching the goal mouth whilst taking any chances that come. They did both brilliantly, they couldn't match us for large parts but stayed organised, disciplined and took one of only a couple chances that came. We played better but they showed their class and experience which is growing under pocch and will cause them to make the leap from pushing champions league to regular champion league if adding the one or two superstars needed. they need spend a little in my view. In essence we were better but they won due to their ability to prevent us hurting them in the areas that matter.

That's my adult objective appraisal but please know that I really hate them and if there was anything to take from it it's that droopy didn't score with a soft penalty won by him and scored by him. Most overrated player in the history of football, and yes I do include Heskey the biggest thief of England caps known to man. Talk of him being the next player to RM after Bale and Modric is laughable as he is not fit to lace their boots.
  • Yes, we are where we deserve to be, on points earned. 15th.

If we finish 15th, it won't be a disaster.

You have assumed that what has happened in the first 9 games will repeat itself for the rest of the season.

If I assume the same, we'll finish 15th.
  • I thought we deserved a draw but unfortunately football is not about what you deserve.
  • Hamstew said:

Anderson is a worry for me. I really hope we haven't wasted all that cash.

He's the very epitome of West Ham. Looks world class one week, then bang average for the next three.
    OCS,

Someone who saw him on a regular basis in Serie A said he would do exactly that & called him a typical West Ham type of signing.

Mrs G, 15th wouldn't be a disaster but it would be very disappointing. Did I expect us to win win today, No, but do I hope we win the cup match the week after next, Yes. ;pray
  • I hate losing to Spurs....

Nothing else to say....
  • I hate losing to spurs

However today I was actually more frustrated with us, and by us, I mean the fans.

We offered little, and only when Spurs started chanting ‘West Ham is no more’ did we retailiate with a poor ‘stand up if you hate tottenham’

Was quite upsetting. For me anyway.
  • Oh, and fans letting of smoke bombs?

1. How did they get them past security?
    2. Club will be fined. ;doh

Hope they identify them via CCTV and ban them.
  • Just landed and saw the result
  • It appears llorris turned up sober
  • A disappointing performance against an under par Spurs. It was there for the taking but too many poor performances. I didn't understand Snodgrass in the centre. He tried hard but delivered little. Cresswell is way past his sell by date, never seems to be anywhere near the action and Noble came deep which, imo, is a bad habit.
    On the plus side side Diop was outstanding.
  • Think Yarmelenko is out for potentially the rest of the season.

Turning up against just the good sides isn't enough though.
  • edited October 2018
    I think Pelle is going to have to find a solution to this formation against the lesser sides because I think Arnie as the only striker hinders our attacking slightly as he is a playmaker/creative type who has improved dramatically on his forward play & finishing. But I think we struggle with him as the only forward because he still comes deep & still doesn’t quite think like a natural number 9/10. We aren’t scoring enough goals with 3 in the middle & Arnie up top. We have only scored more than one goal in a game twice this season, with only one goal scored against Bournemouth, Wolves & Brighton.

Going forward I think pairing him & Hernandez is going to be important, especially now that we have a potentially serious injury to Yarmolenko. Hernandez has many limits in terms of his all round performance but I think if him & Arnie develop an understanding we could become more productive in the goals for column. Hernandez is our best finisher by some distance. We have tightened up massively at the back. 10 goals in 8 games conceded since Liverpool is not bad given the standard of sides we have played.
  • Only caught the highlights, how did Diangana do? Interesting he came on instead of Antonio when Yarmalenko was injured.
  • Yeah Pelle deciding to use Snodgrass for Obiang & then Diangana over Antonio says a lot. Surely he must be let go in January.
  • sweepy23 said:

I hate losing to spurs

However today I was actually more frustrated with us, and by us, I mean the fans.

We offered little, and only when Spurs started chanting ‘West Ham is no more’ did we retailiate with a poor ‘stand up if you hate tottenham’

I find these type of post some of the most frustrating. So will defend my fellow fan. There was singing yesterday and a good atmosphere, were I sit at least.

Did you start a song yourself? Did you chant EAST EAST EAST LONDON when we had a corner?

We did....
  • Only caught the highlights, how did Diangana do? Interesting he came on instead of Antonio when Yarmalenko was injured.

I didn't see but I heard he did really well.
  • MrsGrey said:

Oh, and fans letting of smoke bombs?

1. How did they get them past security?
    2. Club will be fined. ;doh

Hope they identify them via CCTV and ban them.

Do we know where it came from? I couldnt tell as it was at the opposite end to me.

The searching yesterday was again very random. No3 newphew was asked to explain his house keys and agian I had to ask for a supervisor when the person getting me to empty my pockets wanted to confiscate my inhaler!

Several weeks ago I was waved through without a check.
  • edited October 2018

Do we know where it came from? I couldn't tell as it was at the opposite end to me.

Dunno exactly, suz. Behind the goal? The commentators mentioned it when it first happened and then after a minute or two we TV watchers could see all the clouds of coloured smoke drifting towards the half way line. You'd imagine CCTV will help spot the chuckers relatively easily.

I'm assuming the searching is random because it would be too labour intensive and time consuming to do everyone thoroughly. So the guys smuggling in the smoke bombs are presumably taking a chance that they'll get some through.

re inhaler - sounds like more training needed.
  • Well, three of them are very well trained now ;biggrin
  • sweepy23 said:

I hate losing to spurs

I find these type of post some of the most frustrating. So will defend my fellow fan. There was singing yesterday and a good atmosphere, were I sit at least.

Did you start a song yourself? Did you chant EAST EAST EAST LONDON when we had a corner?

We did....
    Sorry Suz. But not sure why you find this post upsetting. Been going to games for donkeys years and yes yesterday was the worst atmosphere ever at a spurs game.

And yes, when I say us. I mean me, the fans etc. Yes I go for it the whole game but it never got going.

And no I didn’t chant east east east London at ou corners as I always sing ‘come On you irons’ at corners.

First time I think I’ve posted about the atmosphere. Just being honest.

Spurs signing it’s not West Ham anymore, is gut wrenching.

• Sweepy

Not upsetting.... frustrating.

• Discussion about Yarmo's injury shifted over to the injury thread.
  • I thought the atmosphere was ok, not the best it has been but ok.
This discussion has been closed.