Brighton (A) - 05 Oct 18 - 8pm ko - Match Thread

Comments

• I wasn't, I was just answering Baz's question.

I'd say we're playing as well as we did in Bilic's first season, only three years ago.
  • I feel like people are getting way too confident. I don’t expect a win, I hope for one. Only the top teams win and play well consistently.
  • Same. I'm used to us taking 1 step forward and then 2 steps back. So I guess 1 step forward then 1 step back is a slight improvement. Loss!
  • Yes, we are playing well. But Brighton are a good team at home.

Their form last season gave them the 8th best home record in the division, only the top 6 and Everton did better than them, and they were only beaten at the AmEx by Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Leicester. This season they lost to Spurs but Spurs were hanging on at the end and Knockaert could (should?) have had a hattrick.

In their promotion season they only lost 3 games at home out of 23 and had the best home form in the division.

In fact, starting from his first full season (2015/16), under Hughton Brigton have taken 137 points from an available 204 in home games, and 60% of their total points across the three and a bit seasons have been at home. Last year 72.5% of their points were won at home.

Sorry for getting a bit carried away with the stats, but it's important to recognise that this is a team who have a very good record at home, who basically survived last year because of their home form, and will know full well that that is their main chance of survival again this year.
  • Plus Arnie (knee) & Yarmo (ankle) are both doubts for Friday.
  • Lukerz said:

Plus Arnie (knee) & Yarmo (ankle) are both doubts for Friday.

WHAAAT?!!!!!
  • Hamstew said:

Lukerz said:

Plus Arnie (knee) & Yarmo (ankle) are both doubts for Friday.

WHAAAT?!!!!!
    ;tumbleweed
  • edited October 2018
    It was on 'read West Ham site' but the article appears to have disappeared now. ;hmm

Not reported anywhere else though. ;ok
  • I think Ex mentioned on his podcast that Arnie isn't 100% fit but hasn't been for some time. I think it's pretty obvious that this is the case as he usually comes off quite early.
  • ;ok

Pretty worrying as those sort of long term issues normally result in eventual surgery.
  • Sky sports report Carroll back after the international break
  • Next....They'll have you believing its this international break... ;whistle
  • edited October 2018
    Ham/Luke...

I posted this on the previous page. It's from an interview after the ManU game.
    MrsGrey said:

Arnie's knee still not quite right.

“I have to say this week I was not 100%,” Arnautovic admitted afterwards. “I still feel my knee. I did just two training sessions but I wanted to play. I have pain. The medical staff, they say I don’t risk my knee. For me it’s just forget the pain and play. The gaffer gave me this opportunity and he expects me to score goals. I think the medical staff and people working with me are confident as well, so it’s all about being confident in your body and trusting your body. I trust a lot.”
  • What about Chicharito? This seems like a long illness. I can’t find anything about when he’ll be back.
  • Glandular Fever, it can take months to recover from.
  • Ah, ok. Didn’t know that was what he had.
  • edited October 2018
    The gaffer saying that Chicarito has been training? ;hmm
    “Javier worked this week with the whole squad. I think he will recover already from his virus and now I think that he may need some more days to recover his best shape, but he is not having any problems with his disease."

(From the press conference earlier today)
  • Merse says 2-2
    Lawro 2-1
  • The bookies like 1-1 (5/1).

Brighton have Izquierdo back, he scored in both games against us last season but he only played seven minutes against City last weekend and 45 minutes with the U23s Monday last week, if he starts I don't think he'll last 90 minutes.
  • I think an away point would be OK keep the momentum going ready for Spurs
  • Somebody noticed that the three other teams that beat Man U this season all played away the next match and all lost (Brighton 1-0 at Liverpool 1-0, Spurs 2-1 at Watford, Derby 1-0 at Bolton). ;hmm
  • So we need to buck the trend ;thumbsup
  • I read that, I still think the switch from two in central midfield to three has had more effect than anything else.
  • Thinks it is sensationalising things (if you can believe such a thing...)

Nobes has already said that he and Zab spoke to the group after the game.
  • Captain gees up teammates, news at 10...
  • Match ball confirmed to be round...
  • ;scarf come on u Hammers give us all a performance 2 b proud of.....
This discussion has been closed.