Declan Rice - Signs 5 1/2 year deal (or does he...)

Comments

• Obviously it's hard to know the EXACT deal offered as the club isn't gonna release details but if he's getting £20k p/week base, including and extra 20k when he starts a game (which is every week) then I think the board can't be blamed

Also it's not like the club don't reward success, how many of our better players have signed new lucrative contracts less than a year after they have already signed one due to good form

Rice signs this one, fast forward a year he would be offered £50k base a week this time next year
  • edited October 2018
    He’s after too much too soon. Forget what other first teamers are on, they’ve been doing it longer than him. Even Diop has two years more experience. He is basically going to be paid like a seasoned pro if he plays regularly (£40,000 a start basically). Even if he wants more than £21,000 as a basic if he keeps doing well the club will have him on £45,000 a week before he’s 21. Dec needs to make his own choices. He’s appearing confused & indecisive over Ireland/England & I would bet it’s down to agent influence. We’ve brought the lad through the academy (albeit via Chelsea) & given him a breakthrough in the first team. Think he is being incredibly unreasonable wanting big money now given he could have a second new deal next summer if all goes well. He still has a lot to prove. The club don’t want him to feel like he’s ‘made it’ at 19 & quite right.
  • Yet people on here are saying he’s the reason behind our change of fortune yet he’s not worth parity with a player/players who have more experience or played longer somebody once said if your good enough your old enough, I don’t believe his head his being turned but if the club rate him they should pay him accordingly imo
  • I think £40K a week is more than enough for a player of his age and experience yes other first teamers earn more but they all have years of first team experience. I don't think it is reasonable for him to expect to be paid the same yet maybe in two years time. We have all seen players who break into the team do well for awhile then disappear and end up in lower league football. I don't think Rice is one of them I just hope he sees what a great position he is in by being a regular starter in the PL at 19 he could go elsewhere and end up bench warming for years on more money. If he stays he a great chance to progress and learn his trade.
  • PLF, that’s the sort of figure I was thinking but not based on appearances a proper figure
  • edited October 2018
    Lukerz said:

Forget what other first teamers are on, they’ve been doing it longer than him.

I think most of us would agree he's doing it better than some of them.
    Lukerz said:

Dec needs to make his own choices.

Who says he isn't?
    Lukerz said:

He’s appearing confused & indecisive over Ireland/England & I would bet it’s down to agent influence.

I would bet it's down to Roy Keane but neither of us has any evidence to support either theory.

By way of comparison in May 2016 Marcus Rashford was given a 4-year contract worth £20k pw with a £10k rise each year plus various bonuses on top of that.

That was three months after his first Premier League start, he'd made 17 first team appearances, it was three days after his first cap for England and five months before his 19th birthday.

Declan Rice made his first team debut in May 2017, he's made 39 first team appearances, he already has three caps and in three months he will be 20.

Both were products of the youth system

Rice should be getting at least what Rashford was getting at the same age.
  • Aslef I though that is what he has been offered £25K a week basic with appearance bonus that taking him up to £40K with the further option to increase basic to £32K plus in the summer depending on how well his has done.
  • I don’t thinm the comparison is valid between Rice and Rashford.

Man Utd’s top earner earns around 3 times more than ours, their record signing was double ours, they are one of the richest clubs in the world.

If he was at Man Utd then yeah sure. But he’s not, and we cut our cloth accordingly.
  • (FWIW I am not saying I don’t think he deserves that, just that the comparison is not valid)
  • Alderz - the logic of that is that if Rice was at Man U he'd get paid more which is an excellent argument for Rice to look beyond West Ham for his future.

I'd argue that Rice is an exceptional talent and we should be paying more than he would get at Man U to encourage him not to consider a move elsewhere. Either that or simply accept that we can't compete with the big boys and that all our homegrown talent will eventually leave, in which case why bother offering him a contract at all.
  • Isn't 20K a week plus 20K per game more than what Rashford got?
  • So if he gets injured he doesn’t get paid erm let’s look at the evidence, no I wouldn’t sign either on those terms
  • As reference
    Trent Arnold got a new contract at Liverpool this year where he's be earning £40k p/week (not sure if that is inclusive of bonuses)

As great as Rice is, TAA was at the world cup and the champions league final of the a great team last year

Whether Rashford or TAA etc are on more than what we've offered Rice is not the point, its that those players don't get paid nearly as much as the first teamer they are up against (Clyne, Sanchez, Lukaku etc)

I know football is a short career, but the only way he is gonna make BIGGG bucks is to continue developing at the rate he is which means playing a lot of games which he may not get at a top 6 club regularly....hasn't Rashford stalled recently? What about RLC, Ake etc who found joy at mid table club's after struggling at Chelsea, is harry winks still at Tottenham?

He's only 19 and hes being offered potentially a deal whereby he is making at least a million pounds a year (£1,000,000+!!!!) at a club where he's thriving, playing and is adored by the fans...and he gets a pay rise every year (or after set games)
  • I can't find any information on Rashford's bonuses but he was younger than Rice with less first team experience.

(and arguably less important to Man United with all their expensive stars than Rice is to us).
  • edited October 2018

Alderz - the logic of that is that if Rice was at Man U he'd get paid more which is an excellent argument for Rice to look beyond West Ham for his future.

Well, if we're doing logic ..... ;wink

If Rice was at ManU, he wouldn't get regular games. And he wouldn't be getting what Rashford is, because they play in different positions. And (at this point) he woudn't be getting what their CBs or DMs are getting either because he's not achieved anything like what they have.

I'd argue that Rice is an exceptional talent and we should be paying more than he would get at Man U to encourage him not to consider a move elsewhere.

But he gets something at West Ham that he wouldn't get at most of the clubs that could afford to pay him more - regular starts.

Furthermore, if we pay him what he wants now... by your logic, he would still move in a couple of years when the richer clubs come calling. Unless you think he will be loyal to us for the rest of his a career because we paid him high wages when he was a kid.

Either that or simply accept that we can't compete with the big boys

Well, of course we can't compete (in terms of transfer fees and wages). They have much more money. If you don't want to accept that, it seems to me you are refusing to face reality.

and that all our homegrown talent will eventually leave,

That doesn't follow.
  • If Declan Rice were at Man U I reckon he could be starting ahead of Lindelof, Matic, Bailly, etc. He might not have achieved as much as them but he's certainly performing a lot better than a lot of more experienced CBs or DMs.

If we want to keep players then we need to offer competitive contracts throughout their careers.

I didn't say we can compete with the Big Six but that is what the owners said they were aiming for. That was 2010, maybe they're not so ambitious now.
  • Ah, but if Declan Rice were at Man U, he would be starting ahead of Lindelof, Matic and Bailly, but Matic would get jealous, and spread rumours that Rice was slagging off Mourinho's wife. Mourinho would get into a huff, and be all "Are you giving it that about my missus?", and ice would be all "I ain't never!", and Mourinho would be like "right, you're out!" and sell Rice to West Ham, and Rice would have to accept a cut in pay because he was offloaded and nobody wanted him, and he'd get ten grand, so ACTUALLY, he'd be worse off.

The intrinsic value of my and all of your hypotheses is worth the same.
  • If Rice was at Man U Mourinho would have hung him out to dry like Luke Shaw the first time he made a mistake and they lost . I still think the latest offer is about right Rice if he wants more money then maybe he should go somewhere else if that's all that concerns him. He has plenty of time to think about what he wants he needs to sit down and make some decisions soon . I thing he could be a great player for us but I don't want his contract /international allegiance becoming almost a distraction .
  • I thing he could be a great player for us but I don't want his contract /international allegiance becoming almost a distraction .

Exactly. I want Rice to be happy at West Ham because I get the feeling he's going to be as good as Rio and those sort of players don't come along that often.
  • Do we know when his current contract is up? as that makes quite a difference I guess.

He may just be against this clause that is reducing his wage if not playing, as if injured he may wonder why his contract should have that clause if others do not. If Andy Carroll is picking up his full wage yet again why should he miss out?

It may be easily resolvable by offering the 40k without clauses. if doing so that would be very reasonable of the club and I would suggest to him that as he is expecting a wage and being accommodated as if his making it big is inevitable then we would like insert a buy out clause of 80m to ensure that should a big club come we get compensated sufficiently.

It is of course a gamble paying a breakthrough player such a sum but it's not massive and I imagine we have paid far worse players more and taken much bigger gambles before.
  • Do we know when his current contract is up?

A couple of folks posted earlier on the thread ... Lukerz says 'in 2 years' and thornbury says BBC reported it as 'summer 2021'.

;puzzled
  • For me, we need to financially protect ourselves. If that means paying Rice more than we want to (in order to secure him to a long term contract with a decent buy out clause!) then we should. We'll lose out on plenty if he goes when the contract expires. Give him more money and when he improves to the point when the top 4 come calling, we'll get a massive cash injection (potentially benefiting both the squad and the club as a whole) which could easily fund several players.
  • Rice signed a three-and-a-bit year deal in March 2017 that takes him to summer 2020.

At the time he was the U23 captain and his only first team experience was as an unused substitute for Swansea away on Boxing Day 2016.
  • I'm happy with Rice's performances recently and everything but it's a bit jarring to see all this go on when we've had other players called "toxic" to the club and accepted as having a bad attitude with out any indication of why that's supposedly so - in some cases, about how much football they get to play rather than what they get paid. Think it says a lot about those inner football circles and how they talk (rather than what fans respond with).
  • Aslef that deal also had the additional year option so effectively his contract runs until 2021.
  • Long time to be stuck on £3k a week...
  • Yea exactly

Can't see him turning down £20/40k for too long
  • edited October 2018
    He won't need to if a top team comes in with a big transfer fee.
  • The cynic in me wonders whether the board are looking at Rice as a saleable asset. We spent £100m in the summer with very little income, so are they looking at him as a £30m cash cow that they'll look to sell next summer? ;hmm
  • Why would they be looking at him as a cash cow? If reports are true he’s been offered up to £40K depending how it’s cut and it’s he who is turning it down. Is he looking for £50K or £80K or what. He’s still only played a handful of games and is still learning.
    Players seem to want huge contracts and then change them up every year.
    I doubt he’d get in to any of the top six at the moment.