Declan Rice - Signs 5 1/2 year deal (or does he...)

Comments

• Anneka
    Pilau
    Boiled
  • edited September 2018
    _________ Rice
    Tim Rice
    Jerry Rice
    Pat Rice
    Condoleezza Rice
    Anneka Rice
    Declan Rice
  • The dashes correspond to the amount of letters ;thumbsup
  • Baz, I worked that out, but I can't find a rich person with 9 letters in their first name. ;hmm
  • Baz, I worked that out, but I can't find a rich person with 9 letters in their first name. ;hmm

I can't find a rich person whatever the letters are! ;weep ;run
  • Three blind Rice?
  • In my opinion this is up to Pellegrini. When he has a full team roster, if Rice is going to be in the starting line up then pay him what he’s worth and let’s move on. If he’s not then by all means make him an offer with game time add-ons.
    Rice hasn’t had a history of injuries, so maybe he doesn’t like the pay-for-play is that he thinks he won’t be picked in order to save some money.
  • As several people were close...

uncle bens

;whistle ;run
  • Baz, that should have been 2 sets of dashes - and an apostrophe. ;wink
  • My apologies... This is how it shouldve read...

rice
  • Apparently the Times says that Rice has been offered £40k pw although you have to pay to read the article.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/declan-rice-rejects-ireland-again-xwzczcd6h
  • If true then TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN
  • he rejected Ireland again ?
  • According to Jason McAteer the reason Rice doesn't want to play for Ireland is he doesn't want to work with Roy Keane.
  • edited October 2018
    Times:

"Declan Rice has turned down another call-up from Ireland and is planning an extended break from international football to prioritise his club future.
    The 19-year-old is in a contract stand-off with West Ham, who last week offered him a new deal worth up to £40,000 a week. He wants that matter sorted before turning attention to his international allegiance."
  • Not sure that will go down well with the Irish folk.
  • Disappointingly, it feels to me like he has made his mind up.
  • I think Southgate has changed the identity of the England national team enough to make Rice believe he has a chance.

He's not afraid to give young players a go and if Maguire can become an England regular whilst playing for Leicester then I suspect Rice thinks he has a shout of making it too.
  • OCS

That's the frustration for me.

Rice has been so vocal in his 'commitment' to Ireland, even up until recently, that to find out that it was only ever a second best would be really disappointing.
  • This is what happens when you get an agent.
  • What I don't understand with Rice was committing himself to Ireland so early, if he thought he could play for England. It would be weird for a player so young to rule himself out of every playing for England, so I thought he wanted to be an Ireland player.

He could've waited it out and later chosen Ireland, like so many others before him, and avoided all this drama. I know he's not tied to Ireland until he plays a competitive game but it doesn't look great to a lot of Ireland fans.
  • But if there’s any truth in the Keane rumours no wonder he having second thoughts
  • Jason McAteer reckons it was Roy Keane slagging off Harry Arter and Jonathan Walters at a training session in May that changed Rice's mind about playing for Ireland. Maybe if the dumped Keane he might feel happy to go back
  • Seems a bit weak to me. Can't think of many international managers who last more than a few years. He wouldn't be stuck working with him forever.
  • I worked for a narcissistic woman at Morrison’s I was her second in command had that privilege for two years and everyday was horrendous I moved stores to avoid her in the end
  • Maybe he just wanted to play football and Ireland asked and England didn't.
  • Ham

But that isn't the way Rice has presented it.
  • Rice probably wants to play for RoI. That is where his heart is.

However, this fancy new agency he has recently joined to ‘represent him’ appears to be calling the shots. Their ‘client’ is worth £40,000 at 19 years old & believe he is a more marketable player if he becomes an England international. I mean, look at Maguire, Stones, Drinkwater, Walker.

Phil Jones & Chris Smalling, key examples of average players getting big money moves.

I suppose Rice is just listening to the advice he is paying to receive. However sometimes following your heart or gut is the best way forward. If he wants to represent Ireland, do it. But then his agency probably says ‘what RoI internationals do you know went to big clubs?’