Declan Rice - Signs 5 1/2 year deal (or does he...)

Comments

• IMG_20181228_172845

Helmet Head ;lol
  • A coaching position is the least he deserves and eventually the boss imo
  • Sullivan said it was finalised on Christmas Day?Na,don't believe that,he just read my post and upped the offer!
  • At last. I was concerned we would mess this one up.
    Great news.
  • This is very good news ;wahoo
  • Best Xmas present Santa (Sullivan) delivers what we all have been waiting to hear
  • Brilliant

Probably the only time I have ever let out a cheer seeing a player has signed a new contract

This kid is the future of our team....absolutely mad to think he's only 18 hes one of our most important players

With the board showing ambition with buys like Anderson, Arnie, Diop, Hernandez, Yarmolenko etc we can build a proper team around this lad

I'm just so happy
  • 20 on the 14th Jan...

But even so.

50 first team appearances before he turns 20 is some going.
  • Huge relief, because, as we all know, if he keeps on improving bigger teams will come calling, and at least now we'll get a decent price for him.
  • Huge relief, because, as we all know, if he keeps on improving bigger teams will come calling, and at least now we'll get a decent price for him.

This is the challenge the board has now. They're doing well in signing the likes of Arnautovic and Anderson, and retaining Rice, but top players will almost certainly want to play in the top competitions, so we need to be in those competitions to keep our best players.

Hopefully with another couple of seasons under Pellegrini we'll be closer to the European spots, but bridging the gap to the big boys is going to be one hell of a battle. But building a team around Rice for the next five years is an excellent step towards that.
  • edited December 2018
    Reading btl comments on the BBC. ;doh ;lol

One person took the time and trouble to let us know that they have 'never heard' of Declan Rice.

;lol

Cheers ;ok Can you tell us who else you haven't heard of.

;puzzled
  • Great news. Now he can relax and really start playing
  • What a player dec rice ;bowdown
  • Noble is John Lyall version 2:0.
  • Fantastic news.

TBH I could see the clubs hesitation in offering him first team wages based on one year of a first team breakthrough, but I think he has shown over the last couple of months what a player he is & will continue to become, as well as having a fantastic mentality.

He is our main CM at present & should be paid as one. He still has a way to go, but he is well on his way to being a future star.
  • Various newspapers report he is now on £30,000 a week.
  • Couldn’t care less what the papers say, as long as the deal is good for him and good for us, on we go. If he progresses, I’m sure there is a point that pushes him on, if not he can renegotiate in the future. Good luck Declan ;scarf
  • The owners have shown they are happy to give improved deals to players who show obvious progression.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Deckers get a new, improved deal in a year or so.
  • Can’t wait to update the “expiry” column on the spreadsheet tomorrow
  • Rice pledges future to England.
  • Sorry Grey ;sofa

IMG_20190213_161032
  • A classy statement. Great news for England, too.
  • edited February 2019
    Horsham, I think classy is the word. He seems like a nice young lad. ;ok
  • Very disappointing news from an Ireland perspective.

However, if he feels 'a proud Englishman' then it makes sense for him to declare for England.

It is just a shame that he made so much of his 'Irishness' when he was selected and played for us.

If I were playing amateur psychologist, I would say that in playing for Ireland he was fulfilling his father's dream, rather than his own.

• grey

Obviously I get your disappointment, but I’m interested in your view of his statement generally as an Irishman. I think it reads really well, but I’m also biased and happy with the outcome.
  • edited February 2019
    alderz

Not sure what else he could have said.

He was honest, and respectful, but as we probably all know, when someone breaks up with you, however dignified and respectful their comments, you can't help but feel a bit of 'but you said...'

As I said earlier, i don't think he was living his dream with Ireland, so it makes sense to go where his heart is leading him.

I suspect he's regretting his reply to David Gold a few months back...
  • Feel rather sorry for Ireland,Think it would have been a better fit for him .its not as if either country will ever win anything and he could have been a big fish in a little pond where with England he will be in a pond full of sharks trying to eat him alive