Declan Rice - Signs 5 1/2 year deal (or does he...)

Comments

• edited September 2018
    alderz said:

The longer it goes on without signing him on the more money his agent is going to want for him. If he wants £35k based on his first 30 games, and suddenly he's in the England conversation and our first choice DM, imagine how much he's going to want when he gets to 50 appearances.

Assuming his progress goes in an upwards trajectory.

I do agree with the need to sign him down because I, as a West Ham fan, think ‘future captain’ too. But then we all do. But the club will be in a better position to make a judgment come the new year. Just trying to take their possible approach into consideration.

Of course if his form drops, the agent may well tell Declan that 18k is now well worth taking.
  • so his contract runs out in the summer .so come jan he will be gone for 2-3 mil .
    tis the west ham way
  • Runs out in 2 summers ;ok
  • Well that's better then thanks Lukerz
  • How much will it cost to stop him leaving
  • But Rice is having to survive on a paltry £150k a year. ;biggrin
  • He is worth some money and then a bit more.
    It depends on what you are putting his valuation on. Versus the market place? Eg the premiership or other top euro/international/Chinese leagues are willing to chuck at him. Versus the price of a hospital wing? Or 100 local care staff looking after the elderly. Or a Picasso that’s just been found.

Mad world, but in the world of football we support it or walk away. Neither matters.
  • If I were Rice I would back myself by saying ok if you don't want pay me what I am asking now I will run my contract down and see what I offers come in on the open market when free, if I am still happy here I will give you the opportunity of matching the best offer.

It's not beyond possibility that a Spurs or Arsenal come in for him for 50-60k per week if he continues to impress and 30-38k could look a bargain. He could of course get injured or make a series of howlers and lose his place, but from what I have seen I would back myself. Is 30k reasonable now? I would say definitely.
  • Zab about Declan Rice:
    "He looks so mature and he has proven week in, week out that he can perform for the team, so as a teammate for me he is one of those young players that you like to look after and all the information I can give to him I will."

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/september/25-september/zabaleta-declan-rice-has-right-attitude-succeed

Zab ;bowdown
  • To be fair, we don't have any accurate/reliable information about:
      what he is looking for

what the club have offered

where they are in terms of discussing a new deal
    so it's hard to know who, if anyone, is the villain of the piece.

It does, however, seem we are all agreed that we would like the club to do what it takes to keep him, and make him feel valued.
  • Sky reporting rice has turned down a contract worth 20k a week every time he plays
  • At the same time BBC reporting that Rice's contract runs out in 2021 and club are confident a new deal will be signed by the end of this year.
  • And the awful rag the sun saying the players wanted to top his wages up for him and that they refuse to let him pay when they go out on team bonding nights
  • “Put your wallet away, Declan, sure you’ve got to stretch that £12,000 to the end of the month! You know what, Miss? He’ll have a packet of peanuts as well!”
  • Hilarious how many from outside the club stick their oar in knowing nothing about the situation.

Rice will sign a new deal but it will be closer to Xmas.
  • edited September 2018
    The club have (according to that earlier link) complained to TalkSport about Murphy's comments. He used to be represented by the agent who is now Rice's agent. (So he might potentially know the agent's version of events, I suppose.)
  • Around 18k a week on the table, plus the same in 1st team appearance money for every game

Regardless of what the club did with Oxford (mistake after one decent appearance) I think that should be enough for Rice, for now
  • Telegraph reports latest rejected off was:

£15,000 basic wage
    Salary rise of 5k after every 15 starts
    £20,000 for every PL start

So that’s looking at potentially £40,000 after he makes 15 starts, assuming he remains in the side thereafter.

Club have made improved offer on his basic wage but they are frustrated no deal has been reached.
  • I look at it another way what do the club value him at as a player, there are players in the championship earning more you can value a player at one figure and pay him for a figure below, I’d guess if he were to be sold we’d want 15-20 million for him so he needs a salary to meet that valuation not one that is 5 million simples
  • He is now one of our better players. Pay him a wage that is comparable to other first team regulars. I think most would agree that he is now one of the first names on the team sheet.
  • I agree, and until he gets this contract he is not financially secure, but a 35k contract would come to 7.2m over a four year contract and so even after tax would have meant his football career had set him up even if he were to get injured tomorrow. I think when breaking a premiership first team as he has done the first contract is important because it secures you for at least a very long time if not for life, and after this it should all be about the football.
  • He's worth a damn sight more now that Sanchez could be out for the season.
  • edited September 2018
    Declan Rice... How much is he worth?

We asked 100 people which famous Rice's were worth the most...

Top 7 answers are on the Board with Declan in 7th. Can you name the other 6 though ;hmm

_________ Rice
    ___ Rice
    _____ Rice
    ___ Rice
    ___________ Rice
    ______ Rice
    Declan Rice

• Basmati
    Arborio
    Jasmin
    Wild
    ?
  • Sir Tim, writing partner of Andrew Lloyd-Webber.
  • Condoleezza Rice, Tim Rice, Pat Rice
  • Carnaroli
    Clive
  • Damien ;ok