Everton (A) - 16 Sept 18 4pm ko - Match Thread

Comments

• edited September 2018
    I’m not a fan of Hernandez being a starter in a perfect world but against Wimbledon (I know they are League One) we were a lot more fluent with Hernandez up top & I think the thing that actually lost us the game against Wolves was that there was no movement in the top third. As soon as we got a natural striker on we fashioned our one decent chance in the game.

Yarmolenko won’t be playing anytime soon IMO. He was shattered after 5 minutes of coming on against Wolves. He’s clearly not fit.
  • I think you lose a lot from Arnie by bringing him deeper, personally. To get Hernandez in the line up I think you have to change the formation. Maybe a diamond with Anderson floating behind Hernandez & Arnie together?
  • I think Hernandez is a better a link-up and even hold-up player than any of the other options to partner Arnie. I think his hold-up play is underrated and he's shown a nice connection with Arnie on a few occasion, including the chance that Rui Patricio in the face.

Yarmolenko has fantastic touch and control but never seems to do anything with it. Anderson is a far simpler but more effective player, even when clearly not playing to potential.
  • IMO Sanchez is a shocking player.
    When he was at Villa he was hopeless, he has done little since to prove me wrong.
    If we are relying on him IMO we are well in trouble .
    Time will tell I guess.
  • I thought Obiang played well after coming on at the weekend.
  • I dunno about Hernandez, he seems to be exactly what we need i.e. movement, natural striker and clinical finishing but has also what we don't need i.e. poor hold up play, poor overall influence outside the box and pushing Arnie deeper

For me until we can learn to win something in midfield there isn't room for Hernandez atm, at least not yet
  • edited September 2018
    Also haven't seen anything in the last couple of games to say we have better midfield options than Noble, so I think he needs to come back in given his experience & character.

Watching Arnie's work-rate & pressing on Saturday, I reckon we would benefit from him playing in the No.10 role & setting the tone with his work-rate. He would also help the midfield out by doing that & then potentially find that bit of extra space playing slightly deeper. Pointless him exerting all that energy closing down CB's & the keeper when nobody behind him pushes up to squeeze the rest of the opposition.

Fabianski
    Fredericks - Diop - Ogbonna - Masuaku
    Yarmolenko - Noble - Obiang - Anderson
    Arnautovic
    Hernandez
  • Fabianski
    Fredericks Diop Ogbonna Rice Masuaku
    Noble Obiang Sanchez
    Anderson
    Arnie

Imo we'd cause them damage if Fredericks and Masuaku really pushed high up and offered a big attacking threat. The team i recommend above relies so heavily on these wing backs that they could decide the game really if they take up offensive positions. For that reason I'd recommend Noble, Obiang and Sanchez as offering a lot of protection at the back when the wing backs bomb forward. The 3 midfielders jobs are basically to stop us shipping goals and on the ball just do the basics (i.e don't give the ball away and leave it to the attacking players - Anderson, Arnie and the full backs - to do the damage).

If necessary use Hernandez, Yarmolenko and Antonio as impact subs depending on how the game is going. If we need to go more defensive bring on Zabaleta for his experience.

If we need a change of shape we can pretty much adapt with Rice moving almost anywhere if needed e.g. to a midfield role if necessary.
  • But Pellegrini is unlikely to switch to a back 5
  • But Pellegrini is unlikely to switch to a back 5

I realise that. That's the team I'd like to see however certainly not the team I'm expecting to see.
  • But aren't top managers adaptable to tactical changes ;hmm
  • People are saying he won’t change but I’m sure he’s a top manager hence he probably will if needed
  • He's not going to change from his system when it's very clearly not fully embedded yet.

I do like welove's team, but realistically it won't happen. I like the idea of the pacey wingbacks and the holding midfielders.

Something like: Fabianski; Fredericks Diop Ogbonna Masuaku; Noble Rice Obiang; Anderson; Arnie Hernandez might offer the same sort of freedom for the wingbacks.

Without the ball it drops to a 4-4-1-1, but with it you'd almost see like a 2-3-3-2

Fabianski
    Diop - Ogbonna
    Noble - Rice - Obiang
    Fredericks Anderson Masuaku
    Arnie Hernandez
  • But aren't top managers adaptable to tactical changes ;hmm

Cuz1 said:

People are saying he won’t change but I’m sure he’s a top manager hence he probably will if needed

He had five seasons at Villarreal and three seasons at Malaga, during that time he played Real Madrid 17 times and Barcelona 20 times.

He played four at the back every time.

P37 W7 D9 L21

• ASLEF, those results look extremely worrying, although his record in the PL is better

Matches 118
    Wins 70
    Draws 21
    Losses 27
    Goals For 258
    Goals Against 126

Taking out our results, that's 114 matches, 70 wins, 21 draws, 23 losses better still.

But as I say very worrying. ;weep
  • They don’t look worrying to me how many times realistically would they expect to beat real and Barcelona
  • Cuz

Don't think that's the point ASLEF was making

Think it more highlights that despite struggling and losing he still refuses to play a back 5 so he's unlikely to do it with us
  • Got you sorry aslef must be on another planet there so fair point ;ok
  • Spot on Champo, if he didn't switch from four at the back at the Nou Camp or the Bernabeu then I don't think he's going to switch at Goodison Park.
  • Our biggest problem seems to be delivery from out wide - Antonio, Snodgrass, Yarmo and Anderson have all been poor there. So maybe we should try a diamond in midfield.

Fabianski
    Fredericks Diop Ogbonna Masuaka
    Rice
    Obiang Noble
    Anderson
    Arnie Hernandez

Width can come from the fullbacks if middle 3 track back when needed.
  • edited September 2018
    Just seen a stat that apparently West Ham now hold the record for the most Lost Games in the Premier League era of all clubs.
  • Well at least we have won something. ;biggrin
  • Well I am confident we will not lose this Saturday ;whistle Not 100% but pretty close to it... ;wink
  • As long as we haven’t got a friendly against 11 dustbins cus I can see trouble there
  • Keep a lid on that one, they look a bit rusty to me and there's been a lot of garbage talked about them in the press ;whistle
  • edited September 2018
    Baz, you forgot this ;yercoat
    ;biggrin
  • Ohhh I thought about it. But after omitting any Ted Rogers comments (and resultant 3,2,1 formation thoughts) on purpose I ended up forgetting the coat ;wink
  • Loss for Everton

Fixed it ;ok
  • edited September 2018
    Fancy us in this one, at least to take something.

Will be good to see how we perform away from home, against a side which isn’t one of the ‘top six’.

Think this side will be a better team away from the LS but we haven’t had a chance to see too much as we’ve played two of the hardest sides away from home.
This discussion has been closed.