Wolves (H) - 01/09/2018 at 3pm - Match Thread

12346»

Comments

• edited September 2018
    Ok, I was born outside Liverpool to a Liverpudlian and a Mancunian, and it is safe to say that there is no blue blood in my family.

My point is most on here probably support WHU as their father, grandfather and uncles all did or they were born within the sound of etc.

What strikes me is that although I was just a toddler when we moved south, supporting West Ham was totally my choice, no family or strong roots to blame.

What on earth was I thinking.........oh well, It is far too late now so I see no other choice but to pray with all my essence

COYI

• edited September 2018
    Just back from the game...

A very frustrating watch, overall.

The players are clearly lacking 1) confidence, 2) cohesion & 3) belief. That is the problem I think that was clear in this game. All three are linked to each other, though.

I counted 3 discussions Pellegrini had with Arnie, 2 with Cresswell & one with Fredericks. Whatever he was trying to get over, he clearly wasn't happy, but I'm not sure it got across to the players because we continued to be unsure as to what we needed to do on the pitch.

The players are obviously trying to play a patient style of football, but there was absolutely no movement throughout the match. We couldn't get to grips with Wolves' formation which often saw Anderson playing as a LWB & Arnie on the wing. At several points in the first half Antonio was playing up top & Arnie more on the left, but they seemed to go wherever they wanted but with no real intensity. Antonio particularly appeared incredibly lethargic whilst he was on & the people around us were more than happy when he went off. Fair play to Arnie; he always does his best & puts in a shift even when he's not getting anything from the game.

The back four were again disjointed which resulted in Wolves getting in behind several times. I thought Diop was excellent for the most part & will definitely be a good CB for us (excellent decision making & some well timed tackles), Balbeuna improved as the game wore on but first half his passing was pretty hopeless. I think at times he looks like a good, aggressive South American CB, at others a rash, headless chicken, but it seems to be a flip of a coin as to which one you get in any one moment. Fredericks really struggled for, what seemed like, confidence. I liked Wilshere because he always shows for the ball & doesn't hide, but he did struggle to create anything meaningful. Anderson was too direct. Snodgrass was very poor. Fabianski was solid again & Sanchez seemed to do his basics well until he gifted Wolves the winner in the last minute.

The shape just didn't look right to me. We often had no players in the box & everybody came to the ball when we had it, but nobody made runs off it. Too many individual elements to our play; Antonio or Anderson running with it regardless of whether they have a chance of being successful, Arnie making things out of nothing single-handedly etc. There was just no structure to how we attack & how we defend. We are clearly trying to control games but don't seem to know how to go about doing it or believe in how we are being taught to do it. Maybe the players just aren't good enough?

Yarmo, Obiang & Hernandez all offered something different but it is hard to have a meaningful impact when the side is struggling. I think 0-0 or 1-1 would've been about fair but Wolves, out of the two, certainly looked the more dangerous & likely to win.

Still behind Pellegrini but he's going to have to work damn hard over the next two weeks to get this side set-up to get a positive result at Everton.

Girlfriend loved it. So at least it wasn’t a complete disaster. She said she didn’t know what to expect, now she does; utter failure. ;lol
  • Watched motd. Their verdict was we were pathetic, a disgrace and worse. Must say watching it again I agree with them. They think we are on our way down.
    Zero effort, zero fight and zero clue of what they’re doing.
  • its Painful watching us slowly build attacks - we need to be much sharper and quicker. Wolves could get 3-5 extra men behind the ball every time we took too many touches. Was the same in the other games. Aresenal was easier on the eye as they left us more space.
  • edited September 2018
    Like Luke 1st visit to stadium and from his pics , me & brother must have been sitting near.
    Loved the stadium and match day experience apart from leaving the ground after game, horrendous and if u not sure how to get back to underground it's mad.
    Regarding our team IMO it was the most shocking performance I've seen in many many years, my bloomin luck.
    It's all been said already, but IMO it will be 2 things, Manuel will be gone by Xmas or we will def be playing in championship next season and on that performance no one could really argue.
    Playing 4 at back does simply not work for us & if he is too stubborn or foolish to not change that we are doomed IMO.
    Cannot blame the stadium or directors for that shambles.
    We look unfit, slow as can be and bereft of any ideas .
    The players we bought in, Anderson , Sanchez , yarmelenko etc have not improved our team and that was evident to see.
    Antonio looks unfit, Fredericks looks out of his depth & Wilshire simply poor.
    I will always love West Ham and that can't change but my heart just isn't in it anymore, sad...
    IMHO pellegrini isn't the right manager for us, I know it's early days but again IMO if they persist I reckon he will be on the Avram grant level of terrible
    I left the stadium gutted but sadly the reality that wolves fully deserved the win and with better finishing could have had a few.
    That is my rant over, I'm well happy I got to go to our new home, but that team yesterday were not premiership standard...
    Sad
  • edited September 2018
    Jay ;ok

The best players on the pitch for me were the ones through the spine. I thought the keeper, CB’s, CM’s & Arnie were ok. The full-backs & attacking trio were pretty awful. Yarmolenko & Hernandez offered something new but still not enough.

Antonio should not wear the kit again. He is either not fit or not bothered & add to that he stopped being any good about 2 years ago.

Football is all about margins & that big chance for Arnie to make it 1-0 on 80 mins or so would most likely have won us the game. As it was he missed it & Sanchez made a bad error, from 3 points potentially to 0.
  • edited September 2018
    Anyone see Cresswell’s attempt at defending for the winner.

Just lazily stopped running & attempted to trip Traore up with a little flick.
  • Luke ;ok agree about Arnie's chance and tbh was expecting a goal from him there, saying that it would've IMO been totally against the run of play.
    If fabianski had not saved us a few times / wolves lack of finishing in front of goal it could/should have been worse.
    I still believe Manuel doesn't know his best 11 & also formation to
    Suit the players we have, if he doesn't work that out quick it's going to be a very long season I believe...
    Personally thought Arnie had a poor game, it just seemed when going forward it was poor decision all game, not just from him, when they had chances to shoot they played too many passes & lacked any real drive.
    The obvious lack of any real speed in our squad is going to hurt us.
    It' can all change I know but my own view is what it is and that it is not going to end well, I so hope 2 be proved wrong tho ;ok
  • Lukerz said:

Yep. He was never going to keep up with Traore but he could've put some pressure on him that might've helped Diop crowd him out a bit.

Other enraging moment was Balbuena flapping at Jimenez's shirt then letting him run through for that one where Jimenez ended up tripping over himself.
  • Dave has to start with Rice as a central defender. I can not understand why the clubs best defender isn’t getting a look in.

I did think though we looked better at the back with Cresswell playing (despite his error for the goal).
  • Dave? If that's Diop then I agree we should start calling him that.
  • ;lol No.

Dave Allen = Manuel Pellegrini
  • It was a shocker.
    Players strolling around causally.
    No running off the ball.
    Some players look like they have hump.
    Can't blame the owners, crowd or stadium.
    The manager and players need to stand up and be counted. Show some urgency, passion and put in a shift.
    Hopefully Pellegrini is not a one trick pony, (regarding tactics) otherwise we're in deep trouble.
  • Outcast, I am assuming you are a young chap and don't know who Dave Allen is, here is an youtube clip of him:

• Outcast to say Cresswell was never going to keep up with Traore is putting it mildly. When Sanchez lost possession Cresswell was goal side of Traore by a few yards but he just let him run past him and then tried to half heartedly trip him, which would have been a second yellow.
    MOTD highlighted our players just strolling around and clearly showed that when Sanchez got that ball the nearest wolves played was yards away but still got to him to rob him before he'd moved more than a foot.
    I've know idea what they work on in training but whatever it is either isn't working or if it is it's definitely not right.
  • If we hadn't had Fabianski between the sticks, we could have lost by 5
    Pathetic performance. I know it is early days, but If we don't start performing very soon, I can see us back in the Championship.
  • Lukerz said:

Did anyone spot Cresswell defending full stop?
  • Gutted for you Jay.

;hug
  • No real complaints. Wolves were fully in control from the first to last min, we never really got going and were limited to a couple of threatening moments. Overall very disappointing and a tough one to take after the start to season we've had. We need to use the international break to relaunch our season, sort out the issues, try to develop a solid structure to our game so we can generate some kind of consistency and momentum going forward, which was sadly wasted after the positive display vs Arsenal.

First things first, the (brief) positives. Fabianski and Diop. Fabianksi was impressive again, made 1 superb save in the second half to keep us in it; I still think he has a bit of baggage left over from his swansea days but nonetheless he is a top keeper who has settled in very well. Diop was excellent throughout and really didnt deserve to be on the losing side; physically so quick and powerful, defensively was great on the cover and committed in the tackle. Real talent.

We struggled tactically vs the back 3/wingback system which was in harmony with a very accomplished CM paring who controlled the game so well. It often left a man free on either side and eventually forced our widemen to track them back deep, which only reinforced their control of the game because of the space that it would then leave infront of the defense. Our pressing was one paced and uncoordinated, only really pressing half halfheartedly and without a plan. Not enough running off the ball, which is so important vs the back 3. A lack of intensity and aggression in our play. A real lack of cohesion which is very concerning.
  • Outcast, I am assuming you are a young chap and don't know who Dave Allen is, here is an youtube clip of him:

;lol Apologies then Suz, thought it was an autocorrect thing. Though, I still like the idea of renaming Diop.

Outcast to say Cresswell was never going to keep up with Traore is putting it mildly. When Sanchez lost possession Cresswell was goal side of Traore by a few yards but he just let him run past him and then tried to half heartedly trip him, which would have been a second yellow.
    MOTD highlighted our players just strolling around and clearly showed that when Sanchez got that ball the nearest wolves played was yards away but still got to him to rob him before he'd moved more than a foot.
    I've know idea what they work on in training but whatever it is either isn't working or if it is it's definitely not right.

;ok He could've easily gone shoulder-to-shoulder or just make some kind of legitimate contact instead of that lazy trip attempt that would've given Diop the split second he needed to get across.

At least Sanchez's mistake was just stupid. Cresswell's and Balbuena's earlier in the game weren't mistakes, just pathetic defending.
  • Colchester , Baracks ;ok
    Even watching Cardiff now show more spirit & backbone...
    IMO loads of our players are prima Donna's who perhaps have a higher opinion of themselves than actually warrant....
    There seems few who show they care and would fight for the shirt.
    I still enjoyed my 1st visit in over 15 year since being a season ticket holder, but the team & manager let me & the other 50 odd thousand down big time, a real shocker of a performance .
  • Why didn't Arnie just roll it in the bottom corner. ;weep
This discussion has been closed.