Wolves (H) - 01/09/2018 at 3pm - Match Thread

Comments

• Lukerz said:

I think if Pelle is going to go with a 4-2-3-1 again, I actually would consider leaving Wilshere out & going with both Sanchez & Rice to shield the back four. That would mean we always have four back & allow the full-backs to get forward as well as allow Anderson to stay in the No.10 position. I think he'll go unchanged from Arsenal, though.

It's tough imo. We definitely saw a lot more from Anderson centrally, and there wasn't the necessity for him to support his full back either as there is when he plays wider. He did drop back though, and a couple of times picked the ball up well inside our half and drove forward at pace to create chances for us. Whether having a slightly better defender behind him (Cresswell over Masuaku) behind him would allow him to be effective out wide, I'm not sure about.

However, I do like having Wilshere close to the back 4 as he provides a bit of calmness to hold the ball and bring it away, or draw the foul, when we are under pressure. Against stronger sides, we may need to play more of a 4-3-3 (or 4-3-2-1) with, say, Sanchez, Rice and Wilshere, but against the likes of Wolves I like a 4-2-3-1, with Wilshere alongside one of Sanchez or Rice. As to which of them, that's a tough call. Going forward, I want it to be Rice, who looked great against an admittedly fairly toothless Wimbledon (especially after they were down to 10), but I think I'd play Sanchez at this point of the season, with a view to bedding Rice in through the season if that's really where Pellegrini sees him playing.

Assuming Arnie is fit to start, I'd probably play Yarmie and Snoddie either side of Andie ;wink . Definitely Freddie over Zabs (obviously ;doh )
  • Lawro says we win 2-0. We're doomed...
  • Brilliant view given we are near the back.

Top stadium.
  • My gut is telling me that we're going to get a winning result today.
  • I'm scared of wolves. I hope we get a result today but they hunt in packs and have really sharp teeth ;puzzled ;run
  • West Ham United: Fabianski; Fredericks, Balbuena, Diop, Cresswell; Wilshere, Sanchez, Snodgrass, Anderson, Antonio; Arnautovic

Substitutes: Adrian, Rice, Zabaleta, Noble, Obiang, Yarmolenko, Chicharito

Read more at https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/september/01-september/team-news-v-wolves-arnautovic-captains-irons-again#0i1trRsF8h43gzSx.99
  • No Arthur? Hope he's okay.
  • edited September 2018
    Has Cresswell got another 90 minutes in him, so soon? Masuaku must be injured, ;puzzled

Edit: got a knock in training, according to club's live blog.
  • No Ogbonna, even on the bench?
  • edited September 2018
    Starting 11 OK but Hernandes and Yarmo only attacking option on the bench ! Why no Perez ? Surely we don't need all 3 of Noble, Rice and Obiang.
  • Good call Puddleglum. Rice is covering centre back I'd imagine, but Noble and Obiang both on the bench feels a bit like a space wasted.

I guess if Arnie gets injured they could move Antonio up front and put Yarmo on the wing if Hernandez isn't fancied.
  • 2 defenders, 2 mf and 2 forwards?

If we are only playing with 1 'striker' do we really need 3 subs?
  • Ex is saying, Masuaku's absence must have been caused by a warm-up injury.
  • Ex is saying, Masuaku's absence must have been caused by a warm-up injury.

;lol Must it?
  • Grey, my view is that 3 subs should be there to help protect a winning position and 3 to effect change if we are losing. So no need for 2 defensive midfielders.
  • ;doh have we even played anywhere near the same team this season yet ;puzzled
  • steve said:

;doh have we even played anywhere near the same team this season yet ;puzzled

No, I think we've only played each one once so far

;biggrin

;yercoat
  • COYI ;scarf COYI ;scarf COYI
  • Very sloppy passing, thankfully wolves arent exactly pressing us high

The formation seems quite fluid, Arnie, Antonio, Anderson & Snodgrass seem to be constantly rotating
  • We do seem to be leading the league in a few categories:
    - Weakest defence
    - Most ineffective midfield
    - Sloppiest passers

And those skills are in full view again today.
  • Our left side continues to be a weakness, they keep getting behind

Not looking very convining either end of the pitch atm
  • Our passing has been very very sloppy. Disappointing so far as it doesn’t feel like we are building on our recent improved performances at all.
  • Just need to concede from a set piece and it's a full house
  • edited September 2018
    Verdict so far: Luke’s girlfriend will not be converted yet.
  • It's been very poor, no cohesion

Arnie & Anderson have struggled to get in the game and think Antonio & Fredericks have been really poor
  • Need to get to half time 0-0 and someone put a rocket up them.
  • All of our players know we can’t beat the first man on our corners so no one even bothered to go into the 6 yard box ;doh
This discussion has been closed.