International Allegiance (Declan Rice)

2»

Comments

• Rice should opt for England, if he opts for Ireland he'll have to apply for joint nationality, otherwise post-Brexit he'll be stuck in the queue for immigration at Dublin airport while all his teammates breeze through the EU passport holders exit.
  • MrsGrey said:

I expect most of us have ancestors who may be Saxon, Norman, Viking or whatever, then illogically most players could be eligible for any country so I agree with Suze. Country of birth only even if you were born whilst your parents were on holiday there.

Fifa rules are predicated on the idea of having 'a clear connection' with the country you want to play for (if it isn't where you were born), and this is clarified as

- your immediate (and biological) ancestors up to grandparents were born there, or
    - you have lived there for 5 years

My own view is that limiting it to country of birth would be wrong.
    Though the UK has its own rule I believe that stipulates the 5 years living rule cannot be used to poach players from any other part of the UK ?

In my opinion, the grandparent link is one too far. Should just be limited to where you were born and your parents at best. I'd also go one step further that any cap played for a senior international team automatically disqualifies you from playing for another country.
  • Rice should opt for England, if he opts for Ireland he'll have to apply for joint nationality, otherwise post-Brexit he'll be stuck in the queue for immigration at Dublin airport while all his teammates breeze through the EU passport holders exit.

He can get an Irish passport, though, very easily (ie joint nationality). If he opts for England I'd advise him to get an Irish passport anyway, then he can breeze through (European) immigration while everyone else is stuck in a queue and he can bagsy the best seat on the coach ;biggrin
  • Looking at the latest England squad, Rice has every chance of getting in as a DM this season.
  • Do the Nations League matches count as 'competitive'?
  • edited August 2018
    Yes, I think they do, now. It is a tournament and is largely replacing the 'friendly' calendar. There's a trophy, and prize money, and relegation/promotion.
  • IH

I think so. They lead to Euro qualification in some cases.
  • Rice was born in London, he grew up in Kingston-on-Thames and went to Grey Court School in Richmond.

His dad's parents were from Cork and moved to England

Do you also know his bank account passwords and whether he sleeps on his back, side or stomach? ;wink
  • I know he lives just around the corner from Wimbledon's football ground, if that helps. ;lol
  • Google says no.