Carabao Cup Thread - H draw v Spurs in next round Weds 31 Oct

Comments

• edited August 2018
    Ogbonna, needs to take a leaf out of the Wimbledon CB Will Nightingale's book, and start watching the ball instead of wrestling the man he's supposed to be marking. He did the same for Arsenal's goal. ;angry
  • edited August 2018
    alderz said:

I thought Yarmolenko was very disappointing, but then the commentator said it was his first club start since January and considering that he was pretty lively. He’ll definitely need a bit of time to get up to speed

Snodgrass was our best player by a mile.

Yarmelenko reminded me of Downing / Jarvis. Aka ill get the ball and i'll try to put it in the box but hit it an extra yard or two above everyone's head height. Had Carroll or Arnie being on, those crosses might have been perfect. But you can get bet when Carroll and Arnie are on the pitch those balls will not be put in like he did today for them.
  • He just looked rusty. Saw enough to think with a few minutes he’ll be handy. Didn’t realise he hadn’t started a game since January.
  • Adam - we need you to start the Wolves thread buddy!!!
  • Same old West Ham struggle against poor opposition. A struggling league 1 side with a player sent off after 18 mins and they managed to score after 2 minutes against us its utterly pathetic.
    We will get knocked out as soon as we play a team who have anything about them.
    What a desperate start to a season that had looked quite promising. (how many times has this happened?)
    Same old story really . manager and players change but the results and performances are abysmal on the whole.
    Teams like Watford, Bournemouth and even Cardiff show spirit and a togetherness that never seems to show at West Ham. Look at Brighton who went to Liverpool and lost 1-0. They did not make the excuse that Liverpool were a top side and cave in and lose by 4-0, its only us that cave in on a regular basis

We should be much, much better why do things not change?
  • edited August 2018
    The Brighton that lost to Liverpool 1-5 & 4-0 last season?

I can see you being a bit miffed at how we played at Anfield & possibly Bournemouth, but performances over the last two games have been much better & I think longer term we will see some good results.
  • And imo it wasn't that Brighton showed exceptional fortitude or organisation at Anfield, simply that Liverpool played to a far lower standard.

As Klopp suggested, in the 2nd half they kind of lost the plot, and that wasn't down to anything Brighton were doing.

If they had raised their game to the standard they showed against us, they would have managed 3 or 4 easily.
  • Lukerz said:

Adam - we need you to start the Wolves thread buddy!!!

Ah, we won! I wasn’t sure if there was a separate thread starter for cups.
  • A lot of whining that Hernandez dived but having watched the incident you can see that McDonald stretched his arm out to grab Hernandez. There might not have been much of a tug but McDonald and the other Wimbledon players didn't seem to surprised when the second yellow came out.

Also how cool is it that the stadium sponsor is Cherry Red Records, "Pillows and Prayers" is possibly the greatest compilation album of all time (Everything but the Girl, Felt, The Monochrome Set, Atilla the Stockbroker, etc.)
  • I actually thought Yarmolenko was pretty good

He was a yard off the pace but was an outlet for us, and before Snodgrass went central thought he was the more dangerous

His final ball wasnt great but again he had little to aim

I like having wingers who attempt 1 vs 1 even if it doesnt come off all the time
  • Hutton - reading your comments make Eye-ore seem like a rather cheerful chap.

Lower league opposition isn't easy to play. Playing against 10 men is often rather more difficult than 11 v 11.
    How often have we scored a freak breakaway goal and then just sat back and parked a whole fleet of busses?

It's going upwards.
  • Munich

So things are wonderful and we are playing great football.
    Our attack defence and midfield are fantastic and we have made a brilliant start to the season yet again.
    We haven't lost our first three games and we look like making Europe this season.

Is that better ?

How you think we are going upwards I am not really sure. instead of saying that I am not being cheerful tell me how you see things have improved and are any better than the last few seasons?

Also you say lower league opposition isn't easy to play? What team do we ever play where it looks easy? it should however been much easier as they were a league one team down to 10 men after 18 minutes and we only went ahead in the 83rd minute. They however managed to score against us after 2 minutes though which is very poor in my book.

The truth is that even though we have spent money and changed our manager yet again most of our players are not playing to their full potential and we are playing at a much lower level as a team than we should be.

I would like to be happier about what is going on at the club but to me it is the same old West Ham and I do not understand why things don't seem to have changed.
  • edited August 2018
    Hutton - As I see it things have changed, for the better. I like the way that the new manager wants us to play and that the board have backed him in buying the quality of players to try and do that. With so many new players coming in it is unlikely that they will all be an instant success and gel from game one and it is bound to take more than one window to get it right, but I for one have already seen a marked improvement in our style and quality of play. I know we have lost three games but the Arsenal performance showed a much higher level than last season, with the chances we made we could just as easily have won 3-1. I think that a lot of people can see beyond the score and I will give it a good few more games with an optimistic outlook before I become negative.
  • Yeah, but Wagon Wheels are smaller than they used to be, too!
  • I thought there were many positives out there last night and if they continue to play like that they will be in for a good season, I only wish I could say the same for West Ham. ;wink
  • IMO Snodgrass is the nice surprise so far this season & I hope it continues ;ok
  • Negative... positive.... good.... bad... it’s all a question of perspective. Of opinions.

I don’t understand why we all must conform to the same point of view, why we must all be up-beat, why we must all take the same things from a game.

Why we must be looked down on because we are not all dancing in the streets.

• I don’t understand why we all must conform to the same point of view, why we must all be up-beat, why we must all take the same things from a game.

Why we must be looked down on because we are not all dancing in the streets.

I don't think anyone is saying that we should? 'm certainly not, anyway ... but I am fed up of people who don't share my opinions misrepresenting them in order to put them (and by extension, me) down.

Personally, I thought it was an improved performance, and I'm encouraged.

I'm not euphoric.
    I'm not turning cartwheels.
    I'm not dancing in the street.

Anyone who disagrees with my opinion is (as always) free to say so and (my personal preference) to say why. But if, in the process, they misrepresent what I've said, I'm not going to hang back in pointing it out. That's all I was trying to say earlier in the thread. ;ok
  • and neither should you.

The point I was trying to make was that it is actually ok to disagree.
  • Oh, I'm down with that ;biggrin
  • and neither should you.

The point I was trying to make was that it is actually ok to disagree.

No it isn't. ;biggrin
  • edited September 2018
    Carabao Cup Thread ReOpened - (H) Macclesfeild - 26.09.18

Going to keep this for these cup games.
  • Can see quite a change in the starting 11 I think.

Adrian Cresswell Fredricks Ogbona

For starters.
  • edited September 2018
    Something like...

Adrian
    Fredericks - Rice - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Sanchez - Noble
    Snodgrass - Perez - Yarmolenko
    Hernandez
  • Adrian; Fredericks Oxford Ogbonna Cresswell; Sanchez; Antonio Snodgrass Obiang Perez; Hernandez

;ok
  • He's better Hernandez, is he?
  • With the greatest of resect to Macclesfield, our B team should comfortably beat them.

Adrian
    Fredericks Oxford Ogbonna Cresswell
    Sanchez
    Snodgrass Obiang Diangana Anderson
    Perez

Personally wouldn't risk Antonio because I worry that three games in a week will break him. Just a shame that Holland and Xande Silva are both injured otherwise I'd have them involved.
  • With the greatest of resect to Macclesfield, our B team should comfortably beat them.

;fishslap ;fishslap ;fishslap
This discussion has been closed.