West Ham v Bournemouth - Sat 18th August 3pm Match Thread

14567810»

Comments

• Match report I read said we lost. Lol!
  • edited August 2018
    Not sure about Balbuena. Was expecting 'the general' to impose himself more in games.

And yet again Oggy gets drawn out of his 'zone', getting done by a ball between him & Masuaku, then makes a clumsy challenge knowing he's out of position & been done by the forward.

I think if he's gonna play, he has to play like he did under Moyes, central of a back three.

Diop & Rice need to come into the frame.
  • Match report I read said we lost. Lol!

Can't read match reports, or watch GoS or MotD when we lose... ;weep
  • I think in the absence of a strong DM to play in front of the back four it has to be a back five, but I don't think Pelle wants to change his style so will persist with it.
  • If we continue to play with such a high line we need pace at the back and we need to press the opposing team much more otherwise we are going to ship as many goals as last season
  • Match report I read said they boo'd at half time.
    I also heard no booing at half time or full time. Source please Mrs Grey?

Sorry, just checked and it was full-time not halftime -I misread it. The Guardian match report, Jacob Steinberg.
  • I think after two games we can and should retain confidence in an established top end manager but it may just prove in time that he took too long to realise that he didn't have the players to play the way he wanted. I hope we don't end up as Crystal Palace did as what Hodgsen pulled off last season really was a feat Harry Houdini would have been proud of.
  • I would look to his last job in China as my bench mark for Pellegrini. I think he will struggle to implement his plan. Mostly because it’s obvious and outdated.
  • ibl. The problem with 'the last job' being the benchmark is that almost all managers failed at their last job (or they would still be in that job) Only Moyes and Sam would be available.... As for outdated, 17 other Premiership managers are also outdated (if you're talking about 4 at the back) Agree with the worry that he'll struggle to implement his plan... but until December's results are in, I'm not making a judgement. To me, that's the key month of our season.
  • edited August 2018

I would look to his last job in China as my bench mark for Pellegrini. I think he will struggle to implement his plan. Mostly because it’s obvious and outdated.

When he took over at Hebei China Fortune in August 2016 it was their first season in the Super League (2nd in CL1 2015), there were just seven games left and they finished 7th. In 2017 they finished 4th, missing 3rd and qualification for the Asian Champions League by 2pts.

Played 52, won 22 (42.3%), drawn 12, lost 18

I'd call that quite a good record with a newly promoted team.
  • It’s outdated to me, as it’s been done for years by him. He even has a YouTube tactic masterclass video showing what he’s going to do every game! It seems like he picks a formation (the same one every game), but doesn’t do anything extra I.e tactics and motivation. A top level manager losing 18 games in China shows that to me, especially with the players he had after 70m spend. I think it worked well 10 yrs ago, but we need to be doing a lot more tactically with a lot more intensity to stand a chance in this era.
  • What? Like Bournemouth? ;hmm
  • edited August 2018
    Eddie Howe still my number 1 choice ;bowdown
  • edited August 2018
    To be honest the side he selected should have been more than good enough to put in a better showing second half but, as has been the case the last two seasons, the players have a very weak mentality when things are going against us. Even under Moyes, all our wins were whenever we went ahead (2-0, 3-1, 1-0 etc) but when we went behind they tended to end 4-1 or 3-0. There is no middle ground. We generally react badly when a game turns for the worst. We were 'ok' first half against Bournemouth. Yes they had a couple of chances, but we were in control of the game for most of the half. As soon as the Wilson goal happened (regardless of the defending) we just do not react. We go from 1-0 to 1-2 in five minutes & then didn't create a meaningful chance to equalise in the final 25. Not sure if we employ a psychologist but we need to do something to change our mentality when it goes wrong.

I remember a stat that said in 45 games where we conceded the first goal, we lost 38 of them. That was a little while ago (I think just before Bilic got the boot) but it hasn't changed since & shows a big part of our issues. Even with the new additions playing there is something within the club that sees us unable to recover from in-game setbacks.
This discussion has been closed.