Injury (and Recovery) News for 2018-19

Comments

• Jesus poor bloke. We don't get a lot of luck with injury's do we.
  • ;angry no we dont
  • I feel terribly sad for him as I felt he had just begun to find his feet for us and had the intention of really doing all he could in taking this chance he found himself with at a premiership club.

The only consolation if there is one is that from a practical point of view at least this has happened after securing this likely decent contract which will hopefully soften the pain should his career not be able to begin again once injured. I say this as I have also heard people say that it is one of those injuries you never fully recover from. Although on a more optimistic side he will have the best medical help.
  • Hearing rumours that Yarmo is out for the rest of the season and that Arnie might get a retrospective ban for his "headbutt" to the groin.
  • Unless Spurs had a player who was something like 10 feet tall, how on earth does Arnie headbut someone in the groin?
    ;nonono

Anyway - I was told the Achilles tendon will snap more easily if there have been injections into it. Perhaps Yarmo had previous trouble with the tendon and now it has caught up?
  • BBC reporting it as an Achilles tear.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45939474

Still probably 6 months out.
  • Effectively finished for this season.
  • edited October 2018
    if he comes back at all it will not be until the start of next season. But considering his previous injuries this could be one of those Make or Break ones.

Similar position to Lanzini where he has been out long term with both Ankle and knee injuries whether he comes back as the player we previously knew I have doubts he could replicate that kind of form with his twist and turns.

Feel bad for Yarmelenko he was certainly just finding his feet but as usual the West Ham injury crisis hits just before November and propels us to the top of the injury table.

So does Antonio come in or does he play a Hernandez out wide MP has got some decisions to make and also one hell of a problem in the attacking department considering his slowly depleting options.
  • I would rather Diangana or Snodgrass played than Antonio. I don't think Antonio has the technical ability to play in a Pellegrini team
  • I would prefer a front 2 of Marko & Javier.
  • not knocking ur judgement Alderz but have u seen enough of Diangana to say he has?....
  • Diangana is an attacking midfielder where as we need a striker? ;ok
  • not knocking ur judgement Alderz but have u seen enough of Diangana to say he has?....

Not really, no. But I have seen enough of Antonio to know I don’t want him in the team and I guess that’s more the point I’m making

Diangana is an attacking midfielder where as we need a striker? ;ok

Why do we need a striker? We play 4-3-3 and when Diangana has played he has played on the right of the front 3?
  • I’ve never met Ald and have no idea if he can kick a ball without falling over.

I’d prefer Ald was selected ahead Antonio.
  • That's all he'd need be able to do to earn preferred selection.
  • From what I've heard Diangana has played well so deserves to play again over someone who hasn't. That's how it should work surely.
  • Confirmed yarmi had operation on a tear saying successful but expected to be out for six months
  • West Ham midfielder Jack Wilshere says if Arsene Wenger had not been replaced as manager by Unai Emery he would still be playing at Arsenal. (Star)

What he means is he would be sat in Arsenals treatment room instead of ours!
  • fair enough Alderz ;ok
    Its a real shame re Antonio, not too long ago he was scoring for fun and making a real difference in games, but of late he's been poor, that I agree..
    While he certainly isn't the most skilled player around again IMO he's a big confidence player, something seems to have been lost with him re that...
    Cant think it helps when he can hear the fans groan & moan every time he fails in a an attempt or pass etc ( fans do have the right to do that, even TV fans !! )..
    Re Diangana, can't say that he really deserves to keep his place on form, I mean against Maccelsfield u can't really compare that game to a PL game & a 60 min game V Spurs, not enough imo, he did alright, nothing more tho...
    Saying this I hope he gets his chance, which does look likely now with injuries etc..

Just feel gutted that Antonio has really lost it of late, we need him back in top form like we know he can...
  • edited October 2018
    Such a pain with another serious injury & Arnie seemingly an operation waiting to happen. Byram, Reid, Wilshere, Sanchez, Lanzini, Yarmolenko, Carroll all seriously injured since the summer period onwards. Not to mention Obiang last week, although it doesn’t look too serious.

Normally you would say ‘well we have Perez & Antonio to cover’, but neither of those seem to be reliable. Perez has had barely any minutes & Antonio is just a waste of space at the moment. Never looks like he wants to be here. So looks like Snodgrass is going to have to replace Yarmo or Diangana, unless we move Arnie out to the wide area.

I suspect we’ll see:

Fabianski
    Zabaleta - Balbuena - Diop - Masuaku
    Noble/Obiang - Rice
    Snodgrass - Arnautovic - Anderson
    Hernandez

Adrian, Ogbonna, Fredericks, Cresswell, Noble/Obiang, Antonio, Perez

At least Carroll ‘looks like’ he will be involved in the squad between now & Xmas. We should get at least a handful of games out of him before he picks up his next medium/long term injury.
  • edited October 2018
    Back on top of the EPL injury league again. ;nonono

https://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

I don't think it's because of poor training grounds or anything like that,i just think we are damn unlucky.

On antonio i must admit i groaned when he came on as sub on saturday but i thought he played okay. ;ok
  • alderz,

Why do we need a striker? We play 4-3-3 and when Diangana has played he has played on the right of the front 3?

To score some goals.

;whistle
  • Arnie has scored 15 goals in 43 games in total for us but 14 goals in 26 games when played as a striker. That's a goal every 1.86 games, more goals per game than Cottee, Hurst, Ashton, etc.
  • In trying to stop me going around in circles I would prefer two strikers Arnie and Little Pea and that was the original point I was trying to make about finding a solution to Yarmo's long term injury. ;ok
  • If we play two strikers then we'd have to play a 4-3-1-2 with the fullbacks providing width. If we played a straight 4-4-2 then we're back to two central midfielders and that hasn't been particularly successful this season.

I'd stick with the 4-3-3 and give Snoddy a chance in his natural position.

• “Andy Carroll is sometimes working with the squad and the other times he is working with the physio in the gym,” Pellegrini said. “He is improving.

“I hope that [he will play] after the international break, to be 100 per cent sure. Maybe it will be the last game before the international break.

“Pedro, last week, had a small calf injury. It’s not serious but he needs some days more to recover. I hope he will be ready for Wednesday for the Carabao Cup game.”

Read more at https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/october/25-october/team-news-carroll-and-obiang-nearing-return-action#JgVSOmtVROz5cz6C.99
  • Andy Carroll is such a strange one for me as a total waste of money when you think how much time he has spent side lined but I must admit I love his attitude and enjoy watching the team more when he is playing. He is always causing trouble for the defence and looking for an opening and to see defenders stressed out is fun to watch.
  • I must admit I love his attitude and enjoy watching the team more when he is playing. He is always causing trouble for the defence
    How can I agree twice (or more)?
  • I think he meant our defence. ;run