Liverpool v West Ham 13:30 12th August 2018 Match Thread

Comments

• And Mane - Firmino - Salah up top - often indecently unplayable...
  • They'll be so busy being cocky and self important strolling about they won't notice little pea slip under the radar between tufts of grass and nick the winner. ;biggrin
  • And the new signing Keita’s supposed to be a little bit good as well
  • Shall we just post them the points and save ourselves all this anxiety?
  • edited August 2018
    Herb

Not being anxious, just saying what I think.

I've watched a number of pre-season games, and I don't think any of the top teams are as well-prepared as Liverpool for the opening game of the season, in terms of first choice players available, who have had decent game time.

If I were given a choice of teams to play first this season, Liverpool away would be the bottom of the list.

I'm interested to see what tactics Pellegrini employs, and how far our side are currently able to carry out his plans.

I think Liverpool are still vulnerable at the back, and I think we now have more players who can possibly exploit that.

I'm hoping we make a game of it, and after that, che sara sara and all that.
  • Herb, You play the predictor game, I'm sure you will back the Hammers to win. ;wink
  • I definitely think our passing game will be perfect for Liverpool to get at us, when we have the ball. I obviously hope this isn’t the case, though!
  • Not sure how that works Adam. We didn't have much of a passing game last season and Liverpool seemed to do well enough. Now we look like we will have more of a passing game and it plays into their hands. ;hmm
  • I'll probably have it down as a draw Hammerex. You know how negative I can be. ;whistle
  • It's coming home
  • Not looking forward to this....liverpool are frightening in preseason

We are gonna struggle to contain them...

Need ogbonna to rugby tackle salah and dislocate his shoulder
  • Champo

With a fit front 3, I think most teams will struggle to contain them.

I'm looking forward to it, without necessarily expecting to get much in the way of points.

I'm hoping to see us turn up with a plan, and not roll over, which would make a pleasant change...
  • So hang on a minute, if we look a bit patchy in our pre-season games, it’s no big deal because it’s all about match fitness and sharpness. However if another side has a few convincing wins in pre-season games, then we will be up for a hiding if our first game is against them?

;hmm
  • So hang on a minute, who said that?

If you want to disagree that Liverpool are the best prepared of the top teams in terms of the key players they have available, who have got game time, by all means do so; if you want to argue that Salah, Mane and Firmino as a front 3 don't pose a threat to every team, fire away.

If you want to ignore what I post, no bother.

But don't make stuff up just to try to make a point, if it's all the same, eh?
  • edited August 2018
    IH

I think we’ll be susceptible to mistakes by trying to pass it around more. It’ll take us a few games to get up to speed with what Pellegrini wants. Makes sense?
  • edited August 2018
    If not now, when is good time to play Liverpool?
    Arnie is fit, we near on a new team!
    Liverpool should worry what we could do to them, but not underestimate Liverpool.

Not sure you are getting my point.

I think when they have their key players available, there is never a good time to play Liverpool.

They have their key players fit and available, ergo...

Contrast that with Spurs, Citeh, Man U or Chelsea.
  • I dont think we will keep out Liverpool but i want to see some attacking intent and actually get into the Liverpool half and give it a go.

If we literally play football camped in our own half i will be disappointed

Not sure you are getting my point.

I think when they have their key players available, there is never a good time to play Liverpool.

They have their key players fit and available, ergo...

Contrast that with Spurs, Citeh, Man U or Chelsea.

Your saying Liverpool are full strength ;ok
  • Grey

Not directed at you per se, however champo refers to Liverpool’s preseason and then goes on to give implications for our chances?

As for Liverpool looking best prepared, I personally have not got much of a view, not least because I have no clue how fully committed the likes of Napoli were in their games v Liverpool.
  • Baracks

Im not basing it off their preseason, Im basing it on how in preseason they have picked up where they left off which is arguably the 2nd best team in England with the strongest front 3.....

I get greys point, but honestly i dont think it matters especially looking at City who have Aguero, Fernandinho, Walker, Stones, Mendy playing their first minutes of preseason and looking very good
  • Well, I'm hanging on to the 0-0 at Bury. ;biggrin
  • edited August 2018
    I feel quite confident about this game. We’re going to be a bit of an unknown quantity, and whilst nobody wants to face Salah, Mane and Firmino, their back four won’t exactly be looking forward to facing our attack either. There is also a lot of hype around Liverpool, so they will be under pressure to deliver an emphatic performance and result. It’s the first game of the season too, which always throw up a couple of surprise results.

Think we’ll lose but reckon it’ll be 1-0 or 2-1 and we’ll have positives to work on.
  • I am hoping for a decent performance I think twe need to win our first home game against Bournemouth this game anything is a bonus kind of I just want us to be competitive and not roll over
  • To get anything we need to try to kill and slow the play down early

Liverpool are known for fast starts and goals in quick succession. With the liverpool fans likely to be biting at the bit we need to try slow em down and keep it tight (easier said then done) to quieten the crowd and hopefully start making them feel a bit anxious
  • Watching them yesterday the Dynamism needed in the MF to combat them is evident.

We need a Physical / Fast / Disciplined stopper..

We need Kante Mark 2...
  • Doesn't everyone!

(except Chelsea)
  • Just looked at the league table, and we are in a relegation dogfight already
    as we are 2nd from bottom. ;doh
  • We should change our name to Newham
This discussion has been closed.