London Stadium Season 3 (2018/19)

Comments

• We're in a mess because the owners think they know how to run a football club, the same reason we've been in messes at various times since Len Cearns sacked John Lyall and hired Lou Macari.
  • Don't mention the Scottish name , does Blackadder dance
  • Of course it's the stadium. Supporters don't feel connected, which breeds antipathy on the pitch.
  • Or is it the results on the pitch that cause the apathy when we bear Chelsea spurs the place was rocking
  • Both of the above
  • More digs at the club, not our fault the stadium owners struck a bad deal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45439883
  • The reason they got a bad deal is that no one else could really take it on, even at the small sums we pay we were their only real customer for the deal. I never really bought the idea that spurs were an alternative as couldn't se them moving to East London, leaving us or no one really, and you cant get a good price at an auction without bidders.
  • Maybe that was the idea, then we buy it cheap off of them and turn it into a football stadium
  • The reason the LLDC got a bad deal was because Boris told them to get a football team at any cost.

Any Mayor of London who proposed selling the stadium on the cheap would not get re-elected, it would be political suicide.

BTW if you pay council tax in London then you are the owners (myself included).
  • The reason we got a such a good deal as only four bids went in in the 2nd round - West Ham United/Intelligent Transport Services, in conjunction with Formula One.
    University College of Football Business (UCFB), an affiliate of Bucks New University.
    Essex County Cricket Club with the University of East London.The athletics legacy and the retractable seating are their biggest problems to make it pay, plus the fact they have no stadium sponsor still. Its the Millenium Dome all over again politicians blaming each other and nothing gets done to resolve the actual problem as they are more worried about getting re elected than doing anything.
  • I see they also claim they have reduced the cost of the moving the seats from 11M a season to 4 M a season . Make you wonder how they managed to end up paying so much in the first place .
  • edited September 2018

I see they also claim they have reduced the cost of the moving the seats from 11M a season to 4 M a season . Make you wonder how they managed to end up paying so much in the first place .

Last year they had to move the whole of the east stand because of the World Athletics Championships, next year they only have to remove the first seven rows of seats in the east and west stands. If they have to remove the east stand the year after the price will go up again.

They've not found a sponsor because they overestimated the value, they expected £4m a year for the naming rights but Emirates pay Arsenal £3.3m for the naming rights plus shirt sponsorship.

There's not much point being a politician if you can't get re-elected
  • I see that the stadium owners want £300K per annum to have the claret and blue track covering. We've offered a one off payment of £380K
  • That would be £29.1m (£300k x 97 years) over the term of the lease to change the track covering once! A bargain!
  • Aslef I thought politicians were meant to represent the people ;whistle
  • All they had to do was have a word with the chap or chapess who designed the Stade Francais and ask them would they like to put one of them in Stratford. Job done.
  • edited September 2018

Aslef I thought politicians were meant to represent the people ;whistle

Oh dear me, no. Politicians represent themselves or the party they are affiliated with, its then up to the voters to choose which politician or party best matches their personal interests.

In addition the people are so ridiculously fickle they change their minds almost overnight, it would be impossible for a politician to represent their views 100% of the time.

Apart from Boris who seems to have no principles whatsoever.
  • All they had to do was have a word with the chap or chapess who designed the Stade Francais and ask them would they like to put one of them in Stratford. Job done.

Check the Moore Stephens report, the idea of Stade Francais system was rejected as too expensive.
  • I suppose Diane Abbott was doing the sums for that then. ;lol
  • ASLEF
    "In addition the people are so ridiculously fickle they change their minds almost overnight".

So where does that leave "the will of the people"? ;hmm
  • It doesn't exist.

It's a nice cliche that can be trotted out to justify whatever you want it to. ;ok
  • A bit like "common sense", another meaningless phrase.
  • McHammer said:
    No. There was talk of it as it was a subject bought up during the supporters consultation discussion with the club during the planning for and after the move.

They made all the right noises and talked to various groups about it but it never happened.

I know this to be the truth as I was the main instigator of it being bought up at the meetings through members of the SAG who are part of this forum. There were all sorts of promises but no one ever got into contact with me from the club (despite several reassurances they would) as I was supposed to be involved with it - through my work I had even had a couple of companies I work with draw up some preliminary plans and ideas for a presentation.

One of the many reasons I lost faith in the current owners and to a certain extent the club.
  • Mrs Grey,
    I've been busy but better late than never. ;wink

It's a nice convenient nonsensical cliche that can be trotted out to justify whatever you want it to justify whatever you want it to.

Fixed it for ya! ;biggrin
  • Thanks Admeus. That is a big shame.
  • Wow, a positive article about the club.
  • BBC report on something a lot of fans already knew, or at least suspected:

https://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45158878

On the plus side, at least we're top of the table...
  • BBC report on something a lot of fans already knew, or at least suspected:

BBC report on something a lot of fans already knew, or at least suspected:

This brings the guess the attendance threads into question #fakenews #whocaresanyway :)