World Cup Last 16 and onwards (excluding England matches)

Comments

• Always sorry to see Brazil go out but then im old enough to remember the great teams of the 70s and somewhat the 80s .just think part of the world cup dies when they go ,having said that ,someone should slap some sence into Neymar
  • I think Brazil would’ve won this World Cup without Neymar. Slowed down their play and dived when there were chances to have a go on goal. Must be hard to be Coutinho.
  • steve said:

Always sorry to see Brazil go out but then im old enough to remember the great teams of the 70s and somewhat the 80s .just think part of the world cup dies when they go ,having said that ,someone should slap some sence into Neymar

Neymar’s antics sullies the memory of that 1970 Brazil team.

You have to give Brazil credit for that 2nd half. They gave it their all.
  • I think var has caught out a lot of the South American teams antics they are so used to get pens by diving they seem offended when they don’t get them when cheating so var is a big plus for me
  • Although I think that could be applied to lots of teams.

And, conversely, there have been many more pens awarded this World Cup - as a direct result of the VAR intervention.

• I've copied and reposted this from Adecoker because it definitely did not receive the reactions it thoroughly deserved.

"Particularly disappointing was Uruguay's attitude. The television showed one of them apparently in tears before the final whistle had even gone. Whatever happened to good old-style, old-school Latin American football thuggery. With ten minutes remaining and the game lost he still had plenty of time to attempt to remove at least half the French team's legs just below the knee."

;lol ;lol

I also think that Martinez should be given a break. To lose the first game as Belgium coach and then win the next 24 (or 25) is incredible. I've never really understood why so many were/are down on him as a manager. I cannot imagine any England manager getting the results he has, especially in this World Cup.
    As well as that, it's both our birthdays (along with Harrison Ford) next Friday (the 13th) ;biggrin

If there's one thing we can be grateful for it's that we don't have to watch Neymar and his filthy cheating antics ;angry
  • Correction to my above post: Belgium, under Martinez, has gone unbeaten for the last 23 matches, after losing a friendly with Spain.
  • On that premise, I thought of copying and reposting my Shakira lyrics offering as it didn't receive any reactions ;lol

# ;tumbleweed
  • Oh, and to quickly add, Ade Coker posts a lot of funny postings ;thumbsup
  • Bazshuayi said:

On that premise, I thought of copying and reposting my Shakira lyrics offering as it didn't receive any reactions ;lol

# ;tumbleweed

I was brought up on the basis of "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all", but if you insist............. ;wink
  • I missed the 2 games yesterday due to being in Hyde park consuming alcohol with some chums and a bunch of bands. So glad we lost to Belgium otherwise I would have missed today’s festivities.
  • GNev once again making himself look silly just so he feels he is useful. ;doh
  • IronHerb said:

GNev once again making himself look silly just so he feels he is useful. ;doh

He really is becoming rather annoying. For such an experienced player at the top level, he don’t half talk some shoemakers.
  • I have not heard him, but I would probably still swap him out for any one of the numpties we get over here.
  • I will trade you one GNev and a Ghoddle for an Atownshend.
    ;hmm
    Actually, tonight I will stick with a SBilic and put up with the pro twonks.
  • Blimey. What a chance!
  • How did that stay out. When I first saw it, I thought it was in the back of the net.
  • edited July 2018
    Can't hurt our chances that Russia-Croatia is going to extra time. 30 more minutes for injuries, suspensions and general tiredness.
  • IronHerb said:

GNev once again making himself look silly just so he feels he is useful. ;doh

No, he didn’t. He’s paid to give his opinion not to agree with everyone.
  • I have enjoyed Ally McCoist on ITV this evening.
  • Looks increasingly like penalties. Both teams had pens in the previous rounds so their players will have played at least an hour more than the English players. And that is not counting the Belgium game where we rested a number of players.
  • Come on Russia!
  • An exciting finish to the game, great to watch when you are relatively neutral, penalties now, not really to worried who wins.

I lean towards Russia, as hosts as they have put on a terrific tournament
  • edited July 2018
    Terrible first penalty ;doh
  • edited July 2018
    MIAHammer said:

Terrible first penalty ;doh

He probably could have qualified to play for England.
  • Some shocking penalties
  • Russia didn’t expect to get to penalties and probably didn’t practice taking them,
  • Croatia should not hold any fear for us - the games afoot follow thy spirit - we can do this
  • Only 2 of the Russians have ever taken pens, apparently.

Slav - 'It's not the Bolshoi, it's about the result' ;lol
  • I have enjoyed Ally McCoist on ITV this evening.

Other than Lee Dixon and GNev he’s ITVs best co-coms imho. But across both channels the level of commentary has been appalling were as the studio stuff has been quite good.