World Cup Last 16 and onwards (excluding England matches)

Comments

• Zabaleta looks like he's about to burst into tears ;weep
  • Think Croatia will go far based on that evidence.
  • edited June 2018
    barracks,

Was that you on the TV in the black t-shirt then? ;lol
  • Argentina was lucky to qualify, to go to World Cup!
    Got in by last ditch attempt, only by messi help
  • edited June 2018
    South America

South America’s Preliminary Competition offers four and a half berths at the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™.
    ROAD TO RUSSIA 2018
    Round 1
    Play-off
  • Watched Argentina vs Croatia last night, I reckon that Nigeria could fancy themselves against Argentina, I thought they were that poor.

No real pattern or cohesion to their play whatsoever, that being said, I would not have been surprised if the game had ended with eight on each side, Ref let a lot of challenges go in the first half and was in danger of losing control.

Otamendie should certainly have seen red.

Was fun watching the Argentina coach spontaneously combust
  • Well done ref and VAR. What a great decision to overturn his own decision. ;clap
  • GK will be MotM
  • Oh Vic, I've fallen
  • Dont wanna be that guy but this world cup really hasnt caught fire....

The big teams just arent showing any quality
  • Have to say I have found sides like Iran infinitely better to watch than the likes of Argentina and Brazil
  • What world cup are you watching then?
  • You aren't enjoying this game, baraks ;nonono
  • Lucky, lucky Brazil
  • edited June 2018
    Not lucky. Brazil have outplayed them for the last hour.

More than 20shots, 10 on target.

Costa Rica haven't had single shot on target.
  • They’ve been on top but it hasn’t been particularly attractive to watch IMO (the goal was good though). No surprise that the goal didn’t revolve around Neymar
  • What timing ;doh
  • Not lucky, brazil were the better team

Still dont think brazil were super impressive though
  • A Neymar suspension might serve Brazil well.
  • ;ok The kit man needs the time to darn up all those holes in Neymar's socks.

#shredded
  • I think the big teams will come out swinging in the knockout phase where teams play more expansive.
  • Without a keeper Costa Rica have they would have lost by a much greater scoreline IMO
    Brazil impressed me today.
  • They created lots once they got into her stride. ;ok

Hard to judge just how well they played because Costa Rica really offered nothing much.
  • Navas didn''t make many saves and Brazil didn't make many clear cut chances. Costa Rica also managed to tear a few holes in the Brazil defence, as well as Neymar's socks.
  • I think Brazil have shown signs they might be the most incisive team. Even against Switzerland, who are one of the most organised defensive units in the world. Neymar's actually interrupted that by slowing the ball down to do what he wants. Jesus constantly makes runs that stretch play and Firmino also makes trouble. If Neymar starts playing more as part of the team I think they'll be the best team here by a long way.
  • edited June 2018
    IronHerb said:

Brazil didn't make many clear cut chances. Costa Rica also managed to tear a few holes in the Brazil defence, as well as Neymar's socks.

Depends what you call a clear cut chance. 10 shots on target seems like a fair number of clear cut chances to me, as they has to be either saved or blocked.

In terms of Costa Rica's penetration of Brazil's defence, how are you defining that?

They has only 3 shots, all off target, in the whole game. 2 of those were from outside the box.

They had 1 corner. I know that that's not the only measure, but it's a sign of how very few holes, imo.
  • edited June 2018
    I’ve read somewhere that some of the Argentina players want their manager booted out before their next game but that it would cost the Argentinian FA £17.5m to do it. I know there’s every chance this rumour is untrue, but nonetheless ;lol
  • Still looking for that managers job barracks? ;wink
  • Here's some more stats:

Clearance - B=12; CR=33
    Blocks - B=9; CR=11

Navas - 7 saves.

All from the fantastic WhoScored site https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1249934/Live/International-FIFA-World-Cup-2018-Brazil-Costa-Rica
  • The nearest Brazil came to scoring, imo, was when Neymar curled one just round the post, I don't recall Navas making any special saves, no goal line clearances etc..
    In the first half Costa Rica got round the outside relatively easily, and regularly, although their crossing was innocuous. A better team will exploit the ability to get down the sideband provide better quality balls into the middle.