World Cup KO: En-ger-land, En-ger-land, En-ger-land (was 'Group G')

Comments

• So Hutton, looks like England get the refs West Ham do in the Prem. ;wink
  • Sterling is a good domestic player - he is not world class, and is normally used to/given the service only City can. He hasnt got those sorts of players around him at international level, and looks lightweight and bereft of ideas to me. Count how many times he seems to run directly into groups of defenders last night. I was praying for Vardy to get on the pitch with HK.
  • First 30 mins was very exciting

But it was so frustrating, and i aim it at Southgate

Why did we have 5 defenders on in the 90th minute

His subs impacted the game, but they were like for like and we couldve easily pushed forward and made it easier on ourselves if he sacrificed a defender, tunisia werent threatening
  • I thought that by the end we were basically playing with Trippier and Young as wingers, Walker was on overlapping runs constantly, and Maguire popped up on the left wing a couple of times. I thought that the shape was good, and personally at no point did I (or anyone in the pub around me) call for a change in formation at all.
  • Well its obviously a preference of opinion

Everyone in the pub i was at were calling for a change

We didnt look like scoring until lthe last 5/10 mins of the 2nd half against a pretty poor team, and the 2 goals wree from set pieces

Imo the shape was worng
  • Amazed to watch an England team where all CB's bought the ball forward past the halfway line and I think in one case was playing around Oppositions penalty box..

Southgate is trying something interesting...

Already has done more to interest me that Hodgson did in three Tournaments...
  • At one point Tunisia crossed the half-way-line and immediately got flagged for offside. That is not what I call defensive.
  • Well its obviously a preference of opinion

Everyone in the pub i was at were calling for a change

We didnt look like scoring until lthe last 5/10 mins of the 2nd half against a pretty poor team, and the 2 goals wree from set pieces

Imo the shape was worng

When Ali was holding his leg, he should been off,with Stirling not up to much, it was like playing with 9 players.
    I think England done ok, which is better then the past
    ;cheers
  • Another great one from the Players Tribune - from Raheem Sterling. Covers his dad being killed, helping his mum clean hotel toilets and his sister taking him on three buses to training so he wasn't travelling alone. (has someone already posted it, again?)

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/raheem-sterling-england-it-was-all-a-dream?utm_source=social&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=worldcup18&utm_term=Sterling
    "I can remember when I was a kid, there was like three or four times when I was on the bus home from training and my mum would text me a new address.

And she would say, “This is where we’re living now.”

If you grew up the same way I grew up, don’t listen to what certain tabloids want to tell you. They just want to steal your joy. They just want to pull you down.

I’m telling you right now …

England is still a place where a naughty boy who comes from nothing can live his dream."
  • Literally, had just been reading that, via the BBC, when you posted it. A good read ;ok

I skipped on to the Shaqiri one.

Are they ghost-written, do you know? Or based on interviews?

I like the concept, the 1st person thing. But the website doesn't tell you much about how they put their articles together.
  • With Lukaku, they spent about four hours with him. I think it's mostly an interview but they get them to speak in the way they want it written. Their people then edit it up but the guy behind the Lukaku one said it's mostly about grammar.

BBC and others do similar things with the analysis you see from some footballers.

I like the concept. I imagine a lot of footballers aren't so confident in their own writing ability and would probably just procrastinate if they agreed to write it themselves.
  • ;ok

I was wondering how much the style reflects the 'voice' (if you know what I mean). I thought the Lukaku one had a very London 'vernacular' which (to me) made it sound less authentic.

But I don't really know what Lukaku sounds like when he's speaking English (assuming they do the interviews in English) so I may be making incorrect assumptions. ;puzzled
  • edited June 2018
    I was wondering how much the style reflects the 'voice' (if you know what I mean). I thought the Lukaku one had a very London 'vernacular' which (to me) made it sound less authentic.
    Carl Anka, the guy who edited, said he changed very little. I think it was colloquial but the style of speaking's unsurprising as you see how quickly footballers pick up the language of the local players around them. E.G. Bilic's "to be honests"

Just reading the Shaqiri one. Another great read.

You have all these things mentioned in passing in the supercritical, run-of-the-mill footballer interviews - that Sterling's father was killed, Lukaku's family came from Congo, Shaqiri's from Kosovo – but what all that meant to them is never explored.

A lot of people might not care or might even dislike this view but that kind of thing's made me feel a lot more connected to the England team this time. It's more of a mix that reflects what the PL has looked like for a long time and them playing well would really reflect something positive about our society and stick it to the tabloids and some of our politicians. France did that in '98 (even if it maybe didn't last).
  • edited June 2018

You have all these things mentioned in passing in the supercritical, run-of-the-mill footballer interviews

?superficial, did you mean to type.

Yes, I like the insight it gives. They are actually quite ordinary people, who are currently doing extraordinary things.

(Referring to the interview subjects, not the England team.)
  • Yes, autocorrect. Most interviews with footballers follow a set format that's boring.
  • ;ok Outcast

Just read that on Twitter, it was a great read.
  • Thanks for sharing those - quite interesting to read.

I have to admit the stories of the 3 I read were a little strange to me. All 3 (Sterling, Shaqiri, Lukaku) were almost written in the past tense - as if 'I've made it now I play as a professional and I'm rich'.

There wasn't much of thinking of the next level and kicking on to reach greatness or international accolades.

Interesting to read nontheless.

I'm probably being a bit harsh TBF
  • I think they get asked about that kind of stuff a lot in general interviews and they'll generally say the same things because they have the same goals in football. The point was to show the human side - what they went through to get where they are.
  • tbf, the focus in all 3 pieces was (it seems to me) about their history ... roots, childhood influences, what drove them, getting into football, how they got their first big break and so on.
  • I read the Keisuke Honda one too and that was really good and interesting
  • Its easy to see how driven Honda is ;wink
  • Baz. BAZ.

You'll be needing this: ;yercoat
  • Not when the engine is put in a McLaren.
  • Not when the engine is put in a McLaren.

You want to put an engine on a pram? Really? ;lol ;yercoat
  • It's a long way to the nursery. ;yercoat
  • Out the pair of you! ;lol
  • Baz. BAZ.

You'll be needing this: ;yercoat

Oh come on! That had a Baz reply written all over it...

• How many more times is Phil Neville going to say Belgium are too quick for Tunisia?

#sevenandcounting
  • Tunisia not having a lot of luck with injuries
  • It’s because the great Neville has said there too quick for the Tunisians lol