World Cup KO: En-ger-land, En-ger-land, En-ger-land (was 'Group G')

1222324252628»

Comments

• Belgium showing us up now
  • Southgate with another like.for like change

I dont care about this game but i really dont get some managers who persists whe the system isnt working
  • I disagree there OCS - we are opening up because we need a goal and Belgium are taking advantage.

England played a decent tournament. For Southgate this is the first time he has come up against decent opposition in earnest. I am sure they will learn from it and be stronger next time around.
  • edited July 2018
    We are so slow and laboured going forward, the whole Belgium team can get back to defend before we approach their 18yard box.
  • Whereas their attacks are quick and the movement and one-touch football is much better than ours, which is why I say they're showing us up.
  • But they also have better players than us

KDB is arguably in the top 3 central midfielders in the world, Hazard is an ex pfa player of the year and potential Ronaldo replacement at Real, Lukaku is about as good as Kane and Mertens has got like 60 goals in the last 2 seasons for Napoli

You chase the game you open yourself up....and world class players epxloit that space
  • I agree chasing the game will open yourselves up but that still doesn’t explain/excuse why we are so slow going forward. We just don’t seem to have the players for that. And I’m not just talking about this game. It is been the same since we got out of the group stage. Plenty of possession on the halfway line but we struggled moving forward from there. We lack a creative midfield player that can open up the opposition.
  • Not sure we lack them, MIA, they just weren't picked.

Wilshere and Shelvey are two players that can pick a pass and get the ball moving quickly, but Southgate didn't fancy them.

Personally, I'd have them over Henderson and Delph all day long.
  • I find I cheer just as much if we score from open play or from set pieces. We do not have a midfielder who can create chances or, for that matter, go past an opponent. Until we do we need to be good at set pieces.
  • Not really a surprise to get turned over by them again, still I’ve enjoyed this WC and England certainly did better than what I thought they would. Will we have a better chance of making a final, probably not, but I’m pleased for Southgate he’s a good guy and helped us believe we could actually do it. Personally I just wanted to see us in the final, it wasn’t to be, Croatia had too much for us and we didn’t take that critical chance at 1-0.

Proud of the lads, won’t bother picking out who should’ve gone and who should or should not of started, they gave it their all and that’s all you can ask
  • Slav we both know it’s all about opinions southgates mine and your team would only differ slightly probably same results though lol it’s a start and hopefully with a bit of tweaking and that bit of luck we will be able to go on challenging for these semis and the next step with it
  • Sledgehammer 15th July 1963 - 21st September 2015

What might have been
  • edited July 2018
    Sledgehammer ;poppy

A great guy and a pleasure to meet

and his brother isn't too bad either ;biggrin
  • Damn fine chap ;poppy

• So the spurs fans giving it large on Kane’s golden boot on my Facebook feed, I chipped in, that’s Madrid form and he would have scored more if he turned up from the quarter finals onwards, #flattrackbully
  • edited July 2018
    Did they have anything to say about Lloris?
  • nope but I will at work tomorrow, how can you spot the spud in a big event... dooh
  • Wonder how Spurs will start given kane looked pretty spent the last few games and the season is only 3 weeks away
  • MrsGrey said:

Did they have anything to say about Lloris?

You can be so cruel MrsG. ;lol
  • Someone posted that Kane is the worst golden boot in world cup history, 3pens ,2 keeper assists and one lucky deflection
  • Kane seem to get to what he thought was going to be enough to get him the golden boot and then vanished in ours thereafter.
  • Someone posted that Kane is the worst golden boot in world cup history, 3pens ,2 keeper assists and one lucky deflection

Piffle....
  • Not heard that word in a long time suz, made me snort
  • Poppycock always makes me smile. ;biggrin
  • Balderdash