World Cup KO: En-ger-land, En-ger-land, En-ger-land (was 'Group G')

Comments

• I wouldn't go that far. But he's certainl been a bit not quite with it for parts of the game.
  • ;scarveng ;scarveng ;scarveng ;scarveng ;scarveng ;scarveng ;scarveng ;porkpie
  • Stones asleep.
  • Manduzic reacted quickest good poachers goal stones was wrong footed Croatia have taken their chances we missed ours
  • Still proud.
  • They have done brilliant far better than I expected
  • Come on one last set play
  • Trippier was looking iffy, but they didn't sub him. Now his groin has gone ;doh
  • I think France will beat them by 2 or 3 goals
  • The midfield has been non existent.
  • We've done better than I thought we would do but we lack a proper midfield when playing the better teams. We had no creativity from midfield, all we had from the beginning of the second half was the hoof.
  • So both Belgium and England lose in Semi's they should win, any guess the common theme? Yup a core of spurs players, Kane missing in action and I thought he was poor in the quarters as well. NVM Euro's next.
  • The midfield has been non existent.

Yup. Out biggest weakness. Alli and Henderson had bang average tournaments, IMO.

It was a fun ride, but just not good enough in the end.
  • A much better tournament than we have seen in a very long time and one I’ve very much enjoyed.

I was odd to feel joy and not embarrassment whilst watching the national team.

#proud
  • Valiant and honourable effort, but came short against the first half decent quality opposition faced (except the Belgium game which had nothing riding on it). It was such a great chance.
  • We fell into the trap of ball back to defenders and hoof. Thought Henderson was ok. Just don't get Ali and Lindgard they don't put themselves into positions to pick up the ball. Kane became anonymous and just a target man. We lacked ideas and fitness.

• Step up Jack Wilshere. ;poormf
  • I was just thinking that when they said we lacked someone who could pick that killer pass

;hmm
  • I’m trying to get a response from my Airbnb host in Dubrovnik - I think I’ll be waiting a while
  • On the bright side " sir" Robert Moore is still the only English man to lift the
    World Cup.
  • Did better than expected and provided a world cup us fans would never have anticipated, however I think much of it down to the passage we had rather than our ability. It really doesn't stack up on that we have suddenly turned some corner nationally.

Tunisia won
    Panama won
    Belgium Lost
    Colombia drew ( through on penalties)
    Sweden won
    Croatia drew (lost in extra time)

It's hardly form that suggests some new dawn. What was positive was Southgate showed class and managed to create a good team spirit and will have served his players in terms of furthering them very well.
  • edited July 2018
    Well done England and well done Gareth Southgate and his staff, you gave me back my passion for England which had been lost/killed off under the dull direness of Roy Hodgson. We’ll never know how well England would have done under Alladyce but I feel sure we’d not have progressed as far under him.
    Disappointed yes, but from my pre World Cup prediction that we’d struggle to get out of the group and be home early that I posted somewhere on here a few months back Gareth Southgate and his team have proved me wrong and I am happy to admit I was so wrong.
  • A really good effort, Southgate proved himself to be a class act and the team can hold their heads high.

Shame to fall at the last hurdle, losing a semi final in any tournament is tough, but we lacked something in the final third, that killer pass, first touch control and general awareness.

Was a fun ride ;clap
  • On the bright side, it would have been hard to utter the words Dele Alli MBE
  • I think Croatia deserved it, no complaints.

But the young lions did us proud and put a smile back on our national team...

Look forward to watching England again....
  • We came out second half a different team.Instead of looking for the second goal we sat back and started to defend deep.It was only a matter of time before crotia scored.
    In the end Croatia deserved it and anyway being a club over country sort of person i get far more upset when west ham lose.
  • Has to make you wonder when he brought on Dier for Henderson....surely a wilshere or shelvey wouldve been better choice

Hell even carroll...i dont rate him particularly highly but you need to get the ball up the pitch why not lump him on hes effective with what he does...surely hes worth more than Welbeck who had no role

All in all i was disappointed as i dont rate croatia but we went a hell of a lot fruther then i thought we would

• We lacked creativity from our midfield. Once we got out of the group stage, we struggled to score from open play.
    Good overall result from this WC as we never expected to get this far but disappointed in our performance today.
  • On a separate note, I didn’t even realize Kyle Walker was playing until the start of the 2nd half. Both my mate and I looked at each other at the same time and said “was he playing in the 1st half or did we make a substitution?”. We had to look up the team sheet to figure it out.
    And it had nothing to do with the fact that we were watching the game in a bar. ;whistle