World Cup KO: En-ger-land, En-ger-land, En-ger-land (was 'Group G')

Comments

• edited July 2018

Makes me well up ;weep
  • edited July 2018
    Yes agree it was a very much easier game than I expected, thought we looked very assured and have to i like this feeling of watching England in a relaxed frame of mind and feeling quietly confident ;biggrin

• Our dead balls are so good, great coaching..

A phrase I never thought I would ever see on a WHU fan forum
    ;wink
  • Can't help thinking that had the goalies been swapped we could well have lost that. Pickford saved three certs and theirs missed both his.
  • What a day! Great birthday present and the England win certainly made a terrible day a lot more bearable.
    The only downside to that match was that it didn't come against the Germans. ;clap
  • Only one team deserved to win that and Pickford is English, so won't be playing for Sweden.
  • I like Harry Kane, I don't care that he plays for Spurs. I like the man and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
  • I love him

I love Harry Kane

A proper captain and a decent lad.
  • edited July 2018
    I like Kane as well. I find it a bit more difficult to like Alli though. I always have the image of him giving the finger.
  • I like Kane for England as for deli Ali ideas above his station can’t abide him a sending off waiting to happen
  • Ironherb you either haven't or have chosen not to understand what I meant. My point was Pickford made three crucial saves whereas Olsen made none. Had we had Olsen and they had Pickford then Olsen would not have made the saves whereas I'm sure Pickford would have saved at least the second and would certainly made a better go of the first.
    It doesn't matter how much you dominate games it's moments like those that determine what happens.
  • It seems unthinkable almost, but we could get to the world cup final!

I am not sure we have a good side, but I don't know as I don't think we have met one yet to measure ourselves against as we have had a most charmed passage so far. We have played Tunisia, Panama, Belgium, Colombia, Sweden and will now play Croatia, the only one we would have expected to have real difficulty with during any previous competition would be Belgium and we did lose that one (although neither were at strength), which leaves me wondering if we have just hyped ourselves up again without any real evidence of capability.

Previously we would have met a Portugal, Germany or Brazil by now and have been on our way home so I think we need wait until we play either Belgium or France before we can actually measure ourselves. The good news is even if outclassed by those teams on a normal day, as I think we would be, the final is a time when things can come into play that can balance things and I think as a team we are together and that can bridge a quality gap sometimes. We do of course have to beat Croatia first, but I feel we have a quality gap over them and so hopefully we can navigate that hurdle.
  • C&B I agree with your summing up. Whilst we dominated today and deserved to win we didn't really create many chances and I can't recall their keeper making a save. Sweden didn't offer much but still created a few good chances and a bit of poor finishing and some good saves kept them out.
    I think the way games have gone they should get past Croatia but the way France and especially Belgium are playing I think we would get found out. However as you say in a one off game anything can happen.
  • But bear in mind that nobody else knocks Sweden over easily or even scores against them.

Whilst I'm sure everyone will acknowledge we are in the easier half of the draw, I feel only Brazil on an off dau would still beat us. France and Belgium obviously have some outstanding players but both are capable of off days. If we have that 'on' day then we can dream of and actually bring it home!
  • Thorn,
    I would have been disappointed if any of those efforts had gone in. Decent saves but not worldies imo so iIthink Olsen would have expected to stop them too.

C&B,
    We haven't met a Germany, Brazil or Portugal because they were not as good as they have been in the past whereas we are playing better than in most recent World Cups.
  • edited July 2018
    All three of the saves Guy Mowbray was going crazy about should be saved by a top level keeper. We would be straight on the back of Adrian had he let any of those in
  • Did Croatia have any players banned for semi ? I took my wife out for our birthday meal although we did watch the penalty shootout on the phone and the bar man came over and watched
  • All three of the saves Guy Mowbray was going crazy about should be saved by a top level keeper.

Guy Mowbray was the one who wondered why the lino hadn't flagged Sterling offside. *rolls eyes*

I think the BBC should have let us do Pundit Rating rater than Player Rating.

• As much as I'd like England to win it, but with three spuds in the team ........... we'd never hear the last of it ;weep
  • Baracks that's the point. Pickford made the saves but Olsen didn't. None of the goals weren't savable.
  • Don’t agree Thorn

I don’t think any keeper out there was stopping maguire’s header.

I doubt many could it have done anything about Alli’s either - it was very close range - you almost need to raise your arms as a keeper and hope the ball makes contact with them in that situation
  • Fear no team, believe; we CAN do this!

• I get why Sterling in the team. I just feel that perhaps after an hour (unless hes actually scoring/assisting/causing havoc so others can do so) that Rashford, who is also lightning quick and can beat his man too, should be on with fresh legs. He's also a much more natural finisher.
  • ;ok I don’t think that’s what most are criticising him for, though. A lot of people really are blind to his contribution.

• calling a croatia vs england semi now :)

Just saying :)
  • edited July 2018
    I called a Belgium/England final after the second group game. I can't wait to revisit the page, quote it and be extra smug all over the summer when it happens. Just sayin' ;lol ( ;pray )
  • I heard Alderz misplaced that post
  • It's a good job I have a screenshot of it then as it'd be terrible to go back to June 27th and not find it ;whistle ;lol