World Cup KO: En-ger-land, En-ger-land, En-ger-land (was 'Group G')

Comments

• steve said:

same record as Belgium ,what happens if we draw with them who wins the group ;hmm

Apparently Steve, it goes down to who has the best disciplinary record. At the moment it's England.
    That’s what their say on
    On tv
  • Should think the Belgiums have a lot more to worry about now
    ;whistle
  • I know it made little difference to the game but I would have liked to have seen some more replays and comment of the incident when the Panama player broke clear, clipped the ball over Pickford and then was taken out by pickford’s momentum. Many a penalty has been given for that sort of thing. We certainly weren’t going to get any view or opinion from the bbc comms team, that’s for sure
  • edited June 2018
    They showed the replay here Baracks, Pickford blocked the attempt and their player then collided with keeper.
    Correct decision and didn't warrant VAR IMO !
    & pundits in studio out in South Africa today were:
    Andy Townsend, Owen Hargreaves ,& Tim Sherwood ;ok
  • My only concern is, vardy seems to be black sheep! Nobody passes to him
  • They showed a replay here too on the BBC. Nothing to discuss.
  • Lineker (or his writer) "Panama hat-trick" ;ok
  • The bbc I was watching showed one brief replay. It was very worthy of comment IMO
  • Lineker scored a hat-trick against Poland in the last group game in Mexico 86.
  • edited June 2018
  • steve said:

So if by some remote chance England win the world cup ,you lot do know that spurs will claim they won it .not sure I could take that for the next 50 odd years ;doh that would make me 110 so I will say for the next 40 years ;whistle

I was just thinking the same thing myself steve ;ok

• Giant if fair play points are also level it's drawn out of the hat.
  • They can claim whatever they want, it will be worth every moment if we win.
  • Finishing second in the group potentially seems to have an "easier" passage which is possibly why Martinez is likely to rest players.
  • Then we will bash them, smash them, own them ;wahoo
  • England 6-1
    England beat the Aussies to win series 5-0
    Hamilton wins..

If Carlsburg made sporting Sunday’s..
  • edited June 2018
    Panama were so poor but we put them to the sword.

This England team is begging to make me a believer...

;nonono
  • Finishing second in the group potentially seems to have an "easier" passage which is possibly why Martinez is likely to rest players.

Not sure about that unless he's been speaking to a medium, perhaps the Long Island one.....
    Who knows how that group will finish...
  • Vorse,

Casey has a 4 stroke lead in the US golf at the moment.

I think Carlsberg do make sporting Sunday's.
  • England 6 Panama 1........what a refreshing change from the dull dross served up under Roy Hodgson.......I actually look forward to England’s games now.
    Thank you Gareth Southgate and your young squad ;ok
  • Jay which group are you thinking of? First and second place are in different parts of the draw after last 16. First will be in the Mexico part and second in the Brazil or Germany part.
  • Thorn get ur point, just looking at the next game after Belgium ;ok
  • Iron herb forget the Casey bit. He's blown it.
  • Defence looks a bit shaky periodically but I think we're definitely a work in progress in the way Southgates set us up to play. I like Stones and Maguire. Not particularly sure about Kyle Walker at CB. However, as per my comment above, he's also a work in progress there. Trippier is good on the right and whilst I would've taken Bertrand, I'd try Trent Alex Arnold (who will surely force his way into the team in the near future) on the left over Ashley Young. I dont think Rose is the player of a year or two ago. I dont know if its because he was out for a decent amount of time but our left side is definitely the weak spot for the better teams to exploit.

I was really hoping Sterling would score today just to build up his England confidence. I appreciate his threat and the room he makes for Kane but I also think that on current form that Rashford should get in.

Lastly, on the defence... As mentioned the other day, we know most of the Belgian players and I think we'll be more switched on and wary. Of course knowing/playing against regularly doesnt mean its easier to stop them but that familiarity and respect will help.
  • Only comment in addition to Baz regards Delph, not sure what he brings to the table
  • Until we win a knockout game I am not getting too carried away, both teams we have played are will both be packing there bags after the next game and we all know how all the Spurs players crumble in big games :smile:
  • Still not convinced about Maguire, certainly not coming out of defence. he is great at set pieces, but looks slow and cumbersome going forward, and he gives the ball away an awful lot trying to put long passes through on the deck. Not convinced about him and Young making up our left hand defence team - a player with a bit of speed will expose us there IMO.

Also Vardy for Sterling for me.

Otherwise, very happy ;ok