Mario Husillos confirmed as Director of Football

2»

Comments

• My interpretation has always been the same as Mrs G's. If you have a DoF in place you let him get on with it up to whatever budget you set. If it's £70M and he wants to spend it in one player that's his prerogative. I'm sure Sully will go with this approach because if it all goes pear shaped he can just spread his hands and say "I'm just doing what you all wanted and how did that pan out".
  • edited June 2018
    Yeah, but then he'll get the blame for appointing the wrong DoF ;wahoo
  • My gut feeling is that although we've appointed a DoF, Sully will still have the final say in individual negotiations which is a huge worry; little may have changed.
  • Sully has to sign the cheques so he will always be involved as some stage.

But the new dude will be the one presenting the list of players based on his judgment / contacts etc, this is what he brings.
  • But the new dude will be the one presenting the list of players based on his judgment / contacts etc, this is what he brings.

Unfortunately identifying targets hasn't always been the issue, getting them over the line has been.
  • I think if your paying someone a million a year you have to trust his judgement to do your transfers .