2018-19 Pre-season: training camps and matches etc (West Ham)

Comments

• alderz said:

There was an interview with Rice on the OS last summer where he said he was a DM at Chelsea but when he joined us at 14 he has played as a CB, and he said he feels he is a CB

He may feel that, of course, but what is, realistically, his best position on the field? ;hmm
  • I think Rice is too slow to be our dedicated DM unless we also have a very mobile CM next to him. Noble, Wilshere and Rice is very slow. Obiang is definitely my first option.
  • Fabianski, Kouyate and Hernandez return to training tomorrow according to Claret & Hugh. So that is everybody back.
  • Except Carroll and Reid ,oh and Antonio ,now have I missed anyone ;hmm
  • edited July 2018
    Lanzini ;whistle
  • ;hmm Cant believe I forgot Lanzini so nearly half the team missing not bad for us .what with pre season and everything ;whistle
  • Three of those four were missing for most of last season and will probably miss most of this season.
  • edited July 2018
    steve said:

so nearly half the team missing

Since when is 4 players 'half the team'? We have a squad of 25.

Unless I missed something and we are now having a go at this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-a-side_footy
  • That's Australian Rules Football Mrs. Grey but on a smaller, rectangle shaped pitch.
  • ;ok I liked the idea of having 2 games going on at the same time on single pitch ;wahoo
  • MrsGrey said:

steve said:

so nearly half the team missing

Since when is 4 players 'half the team'? We have a squad of 25.

Unless I missed something and we are now having a go at this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-a-side_footy
    May be old school rules
    When a team 11 and 1 sub,
    I done some sort of survey on this site, some time back to find out age groups .
    Lots in higher bracket!
  • Interesting article on the OS. Pellegrini had told Hernandez he's going to be an important player for him. Thing is, so far in pre-season, he's played 4-2-3-1. Not sure where Hernandez fits into that system, assuming Arnie continues to play CF ;hmm

https://whufc.com/news/articles/2018/july/25-july/pellegrini-chicharito-will-be-very-important-player-west-ham
  • Apparently the game tonight is to be streamed on Villas YouTube channel.
  • I was just going to look that up, Hamstew. Thanks for doing it for me!
  • Hopefully they have someone who knows what they are doing, and it doesn't turn into stop-go animation like our lot...
  • Here's the link:

• hmmm....while im excited to see Hernandez under Pellegrini....Arnie is 100% more effective as a centre forward and looks like he's perfect for a front 3 of him, Anderson and Yarmolenko
  • My thoughts exactly Champo.

So is Hernandez going to be important from the bench, or will we see two up front ;hmm The OS has mentioned 4-2-3-1 a number of times, which to me suggests it's Pelle's preferred formation, but maybe it'll be 4-2-2-2 with Hernandez playing alongside Arnie

Fabianski
    Fredericks Diop Ogbonna Masuaku
    Rice Wilshire
    Yarmo Anderson
    Arnie Hernandez
  • Was it Pellegrini who used the fluid front 4 thing at City? Maybe he's thinking of doing that. So you can get in Hernandez, Arnie, Anderson and Yarmolenko. Potentially suits all of them as well.
  • Sounds very good this
    Not using wing backs, are we using wing forwards
    All good ;lol
  • Hope we see a cameo from Anderson and Balbeuna tonight

Need Diop to get up to speed fast, hes looked a little uneasy so far from what ive seen or heard and hes not going to get an easy time if he comes up against Salah, Mane & Firmino

Still time though

Wonder if Zab could cover in MF, he has played there before with city
  • But if we play two up front, we’ll only have Hugill (and maybe Antonio) as back up. I don’t think we’ll go with 2 up front, personally.
  • By the same token. If we play one up front and he gets injured then we will only have Hugill and/or Antonio as back up.
  • still time to get our 60 m forward in ;whistle
  • steve said:

still time to get our 60 m forward in ;whistle

Who that
    ;bowdown
  • Huh? If we want to play 2 upfront as our system and Hernandez gets injured, then we’ll only have one of Hugill/Antonio as backup.

Unless you’re saying that he’ll play 2 upfront when both Arnie and Hernandez are available. Then once one gets injured we’ll change our system to 1 upfront, in order to keep 2 backups available. ;hmm
  • edited July 2018

Antonio starts. Yarmolenko rested.

Still no Cresswell ;doh

4-3-3, or rather 4-1-2-3 ish? 4-1-3-2?
  • IMG_20180725_184727

Anderson, Antonio, arnie front 3 looks exciting

Also Balbeuna first apperance,see what hes got in his locker...expecting a paraguayan Collins

Also Rice at DM
  • ;thumbsup

Hoping that the YouTube stream holds up.
  • So we adapt our system to keep 2 backups available? ;hmm
This discussion has been closed.