Pellegrini Confirmed as West Ham Manager (22.05.18) - already (September) there are doubters

Comments

• edited June 2018
    Oooh, it's happened ;wahoo

https://whufc.com/news/articles/2018/june/13-june/west-ham-appoint-director-football-mario-husillos
    “Mario will take complete, strategic control of all player recruitment and, alongside Manuel, has the full support and confidence of myself and David Gold to lead that department"
    Fair play to Sullivan. Didn't think it would ever happen.
  • Newcastle they had finished 13th the previous season, us and Bolton where in the league below and both times he got promotion and consolidation in the premier, with Newcastle 17 points in first nine games before the takeover took place, so in essence there’s not really a discussion to be had because he’d never had the chance really but leaves teams in better positions fact
  • Not sure he hasn’t had the chance, but he’s rarely been appointed to a moderately successful club.
  • Football london on Bielsa

The report claims that the Argentine was interviewed for the job, but sensationally told the board he would keep only eight players and that the rest of the squad were not good enough.

Furthermore, it's said that he felt with the transfer budget offered that they’d do no better than under Allardyce.

Suffice to say, it didn’t go down too well amongst the Hammers board.
  • Sounds about right though.
  • I knew I liked him ;lol
  • That's the one they call El Loco, right? ;scary
  • MrsGrey said:

That's the one they call El Loco, right? ;scary

Yeah, Sully ;lol
  • No names mentioned.
  • Is he likely to have a press conference introduction like all managers tend to have? Getting a bit late now.
  • edited July 2018
    Pellegrini about to be unveiled to the press with Anderson and Wilshere. Live on West Ham Facebook now.
    https://www.facebook.com/westhamunited/
  • Only lasted 10 mins, short & sweet. Answers you'd expect to hear & nothing new added to what we've already heard in interviews:
    Recap here: https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/july/24-july/live-blog-pellegrini-felipe-anderson-and-wilshere-unveiling
  • edited August 2018
    Very interesting quote from Pellegrini:
    “I received a lot of calls from the owners when I finished with Manchester City and when I was in China, so it was a couple of years they wanted me to manage the club and bring my style of football and that sort of thing. So, I had a conversation with the owners and we came to an arrangement."
    He left City in 2016, so it sounds like the Dave's were sniffing around only a year after they appointed Slav. This was the window that saw us sign Nordtveit, Feghouli and Arbeloa on frees, Zaza, Tore and Calleri on loan before a rather desperate (IMO) punt on Ayew at the death.

Could the two things be related? Were the board counting on Pellegrini to take over and is that why Bilic wasn't backed? Is that why we're now seeing the unprecedented spend this summer; because they've finally got their man? ;hmm
  • OCS

It all sounds like the Game of Thrones. ;lol
  • edited August 2018
    So... What you're saying is that hes had since 2016 to get a defensive midfielder in ;hmm ;wink
  • Not convinced myself, he will need to be given a wedge of money to transform West Ham into a football team that he likes to play his game with. If the board back him properly he could do it.

Highest West Ham paid manager, good luck.

;lol I thought I was being negative here and it could be worse.....
  • Thought this was quite an interesting article:
    https://www.football365.com/news/slowly-but-surely-how-manuel-pellegrini-has-changed-west-ham

Thought it was written by our own Alderz as I was reading.
  • Interesting, Lukerz. Thanks ;ok

However, I would point out that the comparisons are quite limited: 3 games this season compared to a whole season (under 2 managers) last year. So while there are positives, as yet it is not a very robust comparison.
  • Its an enouraging read, but still the most important stat is the points on the table

Hypothetically if we lose to Wolves then we have blown 2 very winnable home games & im sure the fans will already be negative

Ive enjoyed the improvement under Pellegrini but the team still seems unbalanced and too easily cut open which he needs to fix fast
  • I suppose it comes down to the old ‘points at all costs’ vs ‘building something’ debate.

We have been a PL club for 6 season’s now. Are we now looking to do more than ‘win at any cost’? Otherwise it seems pointless competing.

Obviously 0 points from 4 games is never good. We do need a win soon to get people settled & get the players believing in what they are doing.

But where we are in May is the main thing, & then 2 years time. Not where we are on Saturday.
  • Lukerz said:

I suppose it comes down to the old ‘points at all costs’ vs ‘building something’ debate.

We have been a PL club for 6 season’s now. Are we now looking to do more than ‘win at any cost’? Otherwise it seems pointless competing.

Obviously 0 points from 4 games is never good. We do need a win soon to get people settled & get the players believing in what they are doing.

But where we are in May is the main thing, & then 2 years time. Not where we are on Saturday.

I personally think we are 1 point down on I had sort of expected us to be. Didn't expect anything from Liverpool and Arsenal and thought that due to how new everything is at the club at the moment a draw in our second match was more than likely.
  • edited August 2018
    Barring the Payet season, we've been served up pretty stodgy fare, for the most part, in recent years.

Being honest, I'd have accepted a bit more of that from Moyes, just to get some kind of stability, but since the club have gone for a change, then I think we need to be patient.

It may be a frustrating process at times (Everton last year, for example), but at least Pellegrini has offered the prospect of a significantly improved squad playing football that is enjoyable to watch.
  • Grey/Mooj ;ok

I think we’ve lost our way since Sam. We knew what we were under him (rightly or wrongly), but had no clear vision under Bilic and then Moyes was a stop gap. The Payet season was a one off euphoric campaign at the old ground.

I’m happy to be working towards something.
  • We've had four managers in those six seasons and Pellegrini has been manager for 100 days.

Patience, Grasshopper
  • I'll just leave this extract here:

"Mark Noble would not start for any other team with top-half aspirations; his West Ham-ness gives him a VIP pass."

Just saying ;whistle
  • How many games has he got to turn it around?

giphy
  • More than four, but it's clear that had he not come with the cv he has we would be completely underwhelmed by his performance so far and doubting him completely. The signings, the tactics and most of all the defending look that of someone still learning the game rather than one who has spent his life in it already.
  • You don’t win a premier league without knowing something about football, I still believe we picked the right man and come Xmas believe he will have won the doubters over, we’ve signed 10 players and my only gripe is and I’ve said before is that we didn’t buy an old fashioned English centre half to help the two new boys at the back and as he didn’t I’d play rice there with diop, so to reiterate I still believe COYI
This discussion has been closed.