Pellegrini Confirmed as West Ham Manager (22.05.18) - already (September) there are doubters

Comments

• still upset after Saturday so any little thing will push me over the edge ,my wife says I need help but what does she know ;biggrin
  • True Steve couple of wins will put us right
  • Just read the article he’s gave the players time of too, to come back relaxed and refreshed it’s something most managers do in the international break and he’s gone home to spend time with his wife and children who haven’t moved to London or before that to China with him
  • Honestly & very sadly I really believe pellegrini is a poor fit for us.
    I really believe with him we are in serious trouble.
    Saying that, I hope I have a fried, scrambled, poached and even a raw egg on my face in the next months.
    Nothing at the moment would make me happier tbh
  • steve said:

still upset after Saturday so any little thing will push me over the edge ,my wife says I need help but what does she know ;biggrin

Lucky you. My missus is on the MUNICH OUT train of thought. But I've given myself another 3 months.
  • This seems a reasonable article. I think China is the place people who have reached the end of their career go to enjoy a final pay day before retiring. So the question of whether he was the appointment to launch a new direction and fund very well must be asked. However he does have a good CV and could be argued exactly what we need in an experienced head to start to build a new foundation.

What is certain is he will need draw upon all that experience now as he needs come up with something by doing what managers do, by getting the best out of players, utilising tactical know how and instilling confidence, if he can do it then he needs do it quick as this league is harsh and once cut off it's a hard struggle to get back in it. I am worried at this point but not panicking, as I think he will slowly begin to get them playing and picking up points.
  • Happy birthday for yesterday gaffer, nice to see someone had it made with the OLD badge on it ;ok

5DF4C90E-6BF8-43D7-BAE2-169C70327A7C
  • That seems a very odd sized cake, way to much for one yet surely not enough for the squad including coaches etc - over here I reckon that cake would just about feed a family of four ;cake ;wink

Was surely a happy birthday in any case ;clap
  • Were you a big fan of Hayden?

Stand away from the pot plants please ;whistle
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45806264

The boss has a roundabout named after him in Malaga.

(A road feature, not a merry-go-round ;wahoo ;whome )

Are there any other features that you would name after well-known football managers?
  • Maybe rename the wailing wall after Mr Moaniho ;whistle
  • Any blind alley could be named the Arsene "I didn't see it" Wenger Boulevard
  • Any blind alley could be named the Arsene "I didn't see it" Wenger Boulevard

The problem is that they're dead ends, and have been reserved for Avram Grant!
  • Secret - I am sure there are enough for both of them.
  • So what points do we need and what position are we to finish in to think that Pelle has had a good / acceptable 1st season, I;m sorry i know I'm in a minority here, and yeh we do need to give managers a time, but in my heart i do not feel he is right for us.
  • 7th would be acceptable as Slaven got us a route into the Europa League qualifiers. :whistle:
  • Before the season I wanted to see some attacking football, some young players getting opportunities and a season where we weren’t in a relegation battle. It’s been up and down, but he’s delivered that.

This was always a transitional season for us. He’s totally changed the style of football, and a lot of the playing staff. He needs time to imbed that properly, and will have learnt a lot this season.

I think it’s been a decent job by him, I’m haopy with him as the boss, and things will get better.
  • I don’t think anyone could dispute the football has been better (when we’ve actually played it) but my only problem is that he hasn’t seemed to be able to instil a proper mental attitude and approach. Unless of course his philosophy of thinking like a big team has been taken to extremes and they all think they’re better than they actually are and feel in some games they only need to turn up to win.
  • I’m happy with him I think the summer is very important if we can get a few positions strengthened we will have an exciting team. We have had a lot of injuries this season ,if we can get yarmalenko Balbuena etc back will be like another couple of signings. The football has been better and more enjoyable to watch overall this season . The inconsistency is probably the most frustrating thing
  • edited March 2019
    My problem is that he literally bought a whole new team ( in numbers ), a new keeper, who is surely HOTY, Which imo always tells the story, a new RB who never plays, 2 new CB's who in general we cant moan about, Diop, has been good for most, but when bad,is bad, the general, when played after a poor start, has been solid.
    Midfield, we blew our dosh on Anderson, a poor start, a great mid season, and a cool end ( of recent ), Other signings have not worked well, Sanchez was the worst signing of the lot and only injury has saved us watching that drivel play, Wilshire & Yarmelenko, unfortunate injuries has seen very little of them, fair enough...
    Perez a waste of space...

But if you look at that lot, he's normally played over half his signings, and half " his" team, yeh when we played well, we played well, but IMO when we played well under Bilic, we played equally as well if not better.
    Some of our wins have been more than fortunate IMO and not always deserved, sometimes due to luck or just the quality of the oppostion and their strikers, or their strikers having a bad day, Home v Arsenal, Newcastle come to mind, Arsenal on another day could have scored a few, and Newcastle same in 2nd half, I am lucky, or sometimes not! that all 380 PL games are live on TV out here, so I rarely do not miss them play..

I am not saying that we should get rid of Pelle, but IMO he is somewhat having an easy ride, can you imagine if Moyes ( who i never wanted ) would have been able to spend what Pelle has had at his disposal and we are where we are he would have got also only a small amount of blame, I think not...

I dont accept that our play has improved that , that much, sometimes yes, but as Thorn said, so inconsistent he's not really improved anything overall IMO..

A clear out is needed in the Summer, and next season will be the make or break for him, no more excuses, I dont expect a top 6th finish, but I do expect the team to actually be a bit consistent and not easily buckle to teams around and below us time after time.

I will always be a Hammer and always give the team/ manager my support, but hey they do make it hard sometimes.....
  • Going to need a hell of a summer if this is his transition season. He has players who want out and players who are not good enough. Good luck with that Pelle.
  • It’s up the board
  • For a top manager he's struggled to get the best out of what he's got. When you look at the teams that we've lost to this season, a good number of them are teams that, on paper, are worse than ours.

But the biggest problem is not Pellegrini's. It's the lack of investment in the areas we've needed the most. And I'm not talking solely about financial investment. Not enough effort has been made in identifying and bringing in the right players in key positions. We've struggled at full back for a good few seasons now and continue to do so. We've been crying out for a centre midfielder for at four windows, and our only significant signing was Wilshere, who many had reservations about when we brought him and they've been proven right.

Pellegrini, Husillos and Sullivan have a big summer ahead of them. The manager will have had a full season to judge the squad and move on those that aren't up to it (at least six by my reckoning) and bring in players that suit his style of play.

He deserves another season to try to take us forward but he has a long way to go to convince me that he's the same manager that he was in pre-China.
  • edited March 2019
    It’s a seesaw at the moment. At one end is Pelle, at the other are the players.

He wants a winning mentality & he is used to managing the best. The players are not used to being ‘winners’ & not used to working for a manager of his experience. The seesaw has not levelled out yet.

The regular sloppy starts are starting to wear a bit thin now. It’s getting boring.

But he is gonna need more time & smart investment. Not mega bucks, but the money we do spend, we need to spend wisely.

Fabianski
    RB - Balbuena - Diop - LB
    Rice - CM
    Yarmolenko - Lanzini - Anderson
    ST

Obiang, Perez & Carroll need to go. They offer nothing. Question marks over Zab, Fredericks, Masuaku, Sanchez, Wilshere, Nasri, Arnie, Hernandez too.

Is where I think we need to strengthen. Those players who are in the 11, with the exception of Diop who is still growing & for me it is 50-50 whether he will be good enough in a couple of years to be a first choice CB (he is nowhere near as good as even an out of form Reid at the moment), are more than good enough to get us moving forward but I do fear we are going to have too many luxury players.
  • Yeah, Yarmolenko, Lanzini and Anderson will leave the midfield two horribly exposed.

For me we need to be a 4-3-3 rather than 4-2-3-1. Rice sitting with two CMs in front. I would be looking at:

Fab
    Fredericks Balbuena Diop LB
    Rice
    Nasri Wilshere
    Yarmolenko ST Anderson

So for me, the priories for the first XI are a striker, a CM (Wilshere is just too unreliable) and a LB.

Arguably the bigger problem is what's behind them. A lot of mediocrity in the squad (Snodderz, Antonio, Sanchez, Diangana, Cresswell, Obiang, Ogbonna) that will need replacing.
  • I didn't think I'd say this at the beginning of the season but I think having Balbuena back will make a big difference to the defence and Diop in particular. I expect him back for the next game.
  • Dont really understand why Balbuena did not play after all hes been on the sub bench for a few games now .So he must be fit .Diop looks lost without him
This discussion has been closed.