Summer 2018 - The Rebuild and The Recovery

Comments

• Whether we need a “hugill” type striker within our squad can be debated at great length

What (to me) is a lot clearer is that if a club like ours has an alleged transfer budget of £30m you cannot spend £9m of it on a player who basically doesn’t play.
  • Carlton Cole would be a good replacement for Hugill if we need one. Pretty sure he hasn’t retired yet...
  • I think the entire football world retired him on his behalf.
  • edited May 2018
    We spent gross £40m on 2 players last summer. (£48m for the year.)

Just shy of £60m 16-17 (both windows.)

Just shy of £50m 15-16

Just over £40m 14-15

I don't think £30m gross spend is anywhere near our limit, if the club thinks the players are worth it.
  • I think the entire football world retired him on his behalf.

IMG_20150613_124421

Any excuse
  • For the summer, i'd assume our gross spend would be around £50mil

Nowadays that gets you 2/3 players..........Swansea wanted £50mil for Mawson in the summer

Can't imagine too many of our players will be sold for good money given how short we are already

What we need

GK (or 2)
    RB
    CM (or 2)
    CB
    Winger

5 players, so looking at £10mil per player which these days isn't gonna get you much

Which why I'm in such favour of fredericks on a free and Shaqiri
  • Champo ;ok

£12m for the pair. Great deal that, IMO.

Pretty sure Hernandez is on his way out so he'll cover that cost with some money to spare, so £50m left to spend on a dynamic CM, a DM and a striker to replace the Pea as a minimum.

Easy, this chairman lark.
  • Suze

OK, but postage is extra. ;wink

Oh, the deal is off then ;whome
  • Nice one Grey.

Our biggest investor has just pulled out.

#greyout

;wink
  • Adam said:

Carlton Cole would be a good replacement for Hugill if we need one. Pretty sure he hasn’t retired yet...

Retired.
    https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/march/29-march/carlton-cole-calls-west-ham-fans-get-behind-team-he-hangs-his
  • Going by the PL Fantasy football on Total points

the 4 best defenders outside the top 6. (currently)

Maguire / Hegazi / Mawson / Cresswell

the 4 best midfielders

Mahrez / GroB / Shaqiri / Milivojevic

the 2 best strikers

Vardy / Rooney

I'm assuming you aren't really serious.
  • The defenders are on there because they score goals or, in Cresswell's case, assist goals. I can categorically say Cresswell is not one of the best defenders outside the top 6...
  • edited May 2018
    Mahrez and Milivojevic - on pens.

Plus, the (top secret) bonus points algorithm will have a big part to play.

Hopefully our revamped scouting system will have a more sophisticated approach to identifying a assessing targets .... ;pray
  • Our revamped scouting system will be Sully buying Jack FM2018
  • OCS he will probably get FM2016 its a cheaper and a real bargain lol
  • If we want to go by FM2018, then I have a suggestion for a dynamic CM:

Jeando Fuchs, who plays for FC Sochaux-Montbéliard. He's 20, played for the France youth squads, has a contract that expires next summer, and has been brilliant for me on football manager ;bowdown They are Ligue 2, but recent imports from that division have done rather well in England.
  • But Alderz, is that because he's a good player or is it because you're a good manager?
  • But Alderz, is that because he's a good player or is it because you're a good manager?

Clearly I am a big factor. But he has been impressive regardless.
  • MrsGrey said:

Adam said:

Carlton Cole would be a good replacement for Hugill if we need one. Pretty sure he hasn’t retired yet...

Retired.
    https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/march/29-march/carlton-cole-calls-west-ham-fans-get-behind-team-he-hangs-his
    The more you know
  • Lanzini - going - LFC

IMO
  • You know we are lining up has been yaya toure....
  • edited May 2018

Lanzini - going - LFC

IMO

Tbh, after the last two years, I wouldn’t be overly bothered, especially this season.

I think if we were to sell him for £30m+, reinvest that money and make Arnie our new star man and No.10, it would be good business for us.
  • You know we are lining up has been yaya toure....

I heard he was going to Everton
  • Lukerz said:

Lanzini - going - LFC

IMO

Tbh, after the last two years, I wouldn’t be overly bothered, especially this season.

I think if we were to sell him for £30m+, reinvest that money and make Arnie our new star man and No.10, it would be good business for us.
    But they will not reinvest it ..... we would be throwing a player away that actually fits the right bracket of age that we need to get players in for. Most of our squad is hitting 30 and over. !
  • Scoring hasn't been the problem this season with or without Lanzini.

I like him and would want him to stay but if we use the money to bring in a couple of proper DM then I would be ok.

Our MF exposes our defence time and again.
  • edited May 2018

But they will not reinvest it ..... we would be throwing a player away that actually fits the right bracket of age that we need to get players in for. Most of our squad is hitting 30 and over. !

You're not wrong. Collins, if he stays, will be 35 in August while Zabaletta will be 34 and Adrian will be 32 in January. Noble celebrated his 31st birthday on Tuesday

Oggy will be 30 in 12 days, Hernandez and Reid will both turn 30 over the summer

Carroll and Arnie will be 30 before the end of next season

Creswell, Kouyate and Antonio will be 29 before the end of next season

Not that 30 is old for footballers these days, they're a lot fitter than they used to be
  • Linked with Aaron Mooy /Miguel Layun / Badou Ndiaye in today's gossip
  • But they will not reinvest it ..... we would be throwing a player away that actually fits the right bracket of age that we need to get players in for. Most of our squad is hitting 30 and over. !

You're not wrong. Collins, if he stays, will be 35 in August while Zabaletta will be 34 and Adrian will be 32 in January. Noble celebrated his 31st birthday on Tuesday

Oggy will be 30 in 12 days, Hernandez and Reid will both turn 30 over the summer

Carroll and Arnie will be 30 before the end of next season

Creswell, Kouyate and Antonio will be 29 before the end of next season

Not that 30 is old for footballers these days, they're a lot fitter than they used to be
    But for a team that wants to be challenging for the top honours and competing at the highest level, how can you long term plan if the majority of your first team squad is late 30 and over, you will be forever be playing catchup to replace them. You're not going to be able to move forwards if all you are doing is playing catchup.
  • Is a bit worrying, but its a job that'll take a few years as weve seen what happens when you go for quantiity over quality (summer 16)

Shaqiri - 26
    Traore -22
    Fredericks - 25
    Dendocker - 23
    Cairney - 27

Players weve been linked with,all pretty good age profiles of either being at their prime (cairney/shaqiri) or coming into it
This discussion has been closed.