Summer 2018 - The Rebuild and The Recovery

Comments

• So West Brom and Stoke are down any players worth trying to prize from them ?

West Brom:-

Ben Foster ?
    Jonny Evans ?
    Jake Livermore ?
    Salomon Rondon ?
    Jay Rodriguez ?
    Nacer Chadli ?
    Craig Dawson ?

Stoke:-

Jack Butland ?
    Joe Allen ?
    Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting ?
    Bruno martins Indi ?
    Mame Biram Diouf ?
    Xherdan Shaqiri ?
    Badou Ndiaye ?

Just a couple of mentions from each squad so far.

• Yes to Jack Butland and Joe Allen.
  • Shaqiri please.
  • edited May 2018
    Leander was an ancient Greek who swam across the Hellespont every night to be with his lover Hero, she lived in a tower and would hang a light in the window to guide him. One stormy night the lamp blew out, Leander got lost and drowned. When Hero saw his body washed up on the shore she threw herself from the top of the tower onto the rocks below,

Gosh those ancient Greeks had some jolly stories....

I suppose Mr and Mrs Dendoncker thought it sounded like a nice name.

Hopefully he prefers to be called "Lea".
  • Evans would do for me
  • edited May 2018
    Evans Dendoncker ;puzzled
  • Shaqiri is a great talent but he threw in the towel for Stoke, and publically slammed his team-mates (I mean, fair enough, Stoke players are mostly terrible, but not the attitude you need when things aren't going well...), so I'm a bit ;hmm about him.
  • Last month Ben Foster told the local paper he would stay at West Brom
    I’ll be here. I’ve got no interest in trying to move clubs. I’m very settled and I’m sure there are quite a few others who would love to stay and help us get back to the Premier League.

If the worst comes to the worst and we end up in the Championship next season we’ve got to bounce back up, it’s as simple as that. I’d like to keep a core of the players that really want to dig in and work hard and be in a tough fight to get out of the Championship because it is a tough fight as well

It’s a really different league to the Premier League and we need to go about it to get back first time - we need to really bounce back strongly and get back to where we should be
    https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2018/04/08/ben-foster-promises-to-stay-at-west-brom-next-season/#f5BU8zys3C8eDQHH.99
  • Wouldn’t be getting into the habit of cherry picking relegation players as I feel the losing mentality is ingrained in them. We need to start creating a positive team spirit and mentality. Maybe Evans but that would be it. Butland and Shaqiri massively over-rated IMO.
  • Craig Dawson out of that lot for me.
  • Stoke won't want to let Butland go, so would probably only accept a ridiculously high offer.

Would people think he was worth say £35m?
  • Younger rather than older, for me. Don't want players who might only have a year or two in their legs.
  • edited May 2018
    Everton set the precedent last summer with Pickford. Stoke will want a suitor to at least match the £30m he went for.

If Pickford is worth £30m (he isn't) then Butland, as a better 'keeper IMO, is worth £35m (but only in todays ridiculous market value of English 'keepers).

We won't spend that on a new No1 though, so I'm not even entertaining the notion. Heaton is still on my list, though. At 32 he's got a good few years left but won't command such a large fee.
  • Lots of reports saying Shaquiri has a £12mil relegation clause

Surely thats worth a punt

• Him and Arnie worked well together at Stoke. He's a decent age. He's done it at PL level for a few years. We have big concerns over Antonio's long-term fitness.

I'd take Shaq at £12m.
  • Joe Allen Craig Dawson maybe Rondon
  • http://www.claretandhugh.info/hammers-set-for-quick-decision-on-manager/

Sounds like they are going for a head of recruitment rather than a DoF
  • Mangala is available on a free this summer might be worth a look
  • Joe Allen Craig Dawson maybe Rondon

No. Not Rondon. Rondon would be no use to us.
  • I was thinking if he was cheap a different kind of striker to what we have but not overly fussed more of a squad player
  • MrsGrey said:

Joe Allen Craig Dawson maybe Rondon

Someone needs to be Jordan Hugill when Jordan Hugill is sold back to Preston...
  • I’d buy Buckland for £35mil.

• Suze

OK, but postage is extra. ;wink
  • MrsGrey said:

Joe Allen Craig Dawson maybe Rondon

Someone needs to be Jordan Hugill when Jordan Hugill is sold back to Preston...
    But we haven't really needed Jordan Hughill, so I'm not convinced we need someone to be someone we haven't needed.

;puzzled
  • I'm not sure whether we really need to spend big bucks on a keeper.
    Adrian is a decent keeper and how about Trott as backup?
    I think we could have had de Gea, Neuer, and Kahn in goal and we would have still shipped lots of goals because we had a leaky team. Those are the positions we need to address.
  • Every club needs a Jordan Hugill.

I'm honestly starting to think that maybe he just won a competition or something.
  • Carroll for Shelvey anyone ?
  • I think I know Suze's answer...
  • Going by the PL Fantasy football on Total points

the 4 best defenders outside the top 6. (currently)

Maguire / Hegazi / Mawson / Cresswell

the 4 best midfielders

Mahrez / GroB / Shaqiri / Milivojevic

the 2 best strikers

Vardy / Rooney
  • I think it starts with N and ends in Oooooo.
This discussion has been closed.