Is it a Fox? Leicester away Match Thread 5/5/18 3pm ko.

Comments

• We can only wish they'd sack themselves
  • Evra may well score two, but which end
  • I get baffled about the stick re: the Evra signing.

Arthur had just been banned for 6 games, we had no cover, and the window was closed.

Which of the other out-of-contract, experienced left-backs who had been playing for a more than decent team earlier in the season should we have signed instead?
  • Sadly Grey I think most feel rather no one, I mean so far has he done anything to appease us?... Apart from wearing the shirt that's lots think he's unworthy of..
    And btw I have no personal
    Issue with Evra, just rather he was playing for someone else...
  • edited May 2018
    Evra started in two of the six matches Arthur was banned. In the following five games Evra has started one and come on as a sub once.
    I don't think there was a need to sign him on that basis.
  • Waste of a shirt is my opinion.
  • Waste of wages and the literal definition of short term panic buy

Too old and too slow for the premier league

Masuaku was out for 6 games, not 6 months

That and Moyes always seems to start him when we play a team with pace

Would've rather kept Fonte (who was actually good at the beginning of the season) till the summer and pushed cresswell to LWB
  • steve said:

;hmm perhaps then again

;hmm
  • I wonder who evra will sign for after us, imo he was a no need buy who’s brought nothing to us except being a body
  • Good enough for Marseilles, but not good enough for us?

We had space in the squad, and it was a short-term signing.

Obviously it's just me that doesn't see it as a crime against football.
  • But Marseilles let him go. ;hmm
  • For non-footballing reasons.
  • I agree Grey. I’m not too fussed about it. He was available and it’s a short term contract. If Cresswell had got injured as well, we would have had no LBs.

I doubt he’s on high wages (can’t be sure though, obviously), so it was a low risk move.
  • Collins and Obiang and not fit and Hernandez is apparently injured. The squad is thin on the ground and Hugill should be given a start. Starting with the same players who delivered so little in the last couple of games does not bode well.

I wonder if there is some exciting young player in the second string who could step up and make a difference. does anyone know. I am old enough to remember when WHU was in trouble in 1968 (well actually we are trouble more often than we would like) and Ron Greenwood plucked an unknown Johnny Ayris from the third-string and he had a debut to remember against Burnley. He laid on all three goals for Geoff Hurst and Burnley defenders had a torrid time against him. So I wonder if there is another John Ayris who could step up and instill some fight, hungers and focus on senior players. Would Moyes even take a chance?
  • They were so concerned about being left without cover for Massa's position for 6 matches they went and got Evra but despite the the clearly identified weakness in DM they failed to secure a suitable signing in the summer and January window and left the team weakened for pretty much a whole season.
  • I’m sure evra didn’t come for peanuts though
  • Good enough for Marseilles, but not good enough for us?

We had space in the squad, and it was a short-term signing.

Obviously it's just me that doesn't see it as a crime against football.

French league
    ;hmm
  • The Marseilles that is in the final of the Europa League?
  • Without Evra.
  • everyone has an opinion i guess but you must be well in the minority if you think Evra was/is of any use to West Ham.
  • Europa cup, the one we didn’t take serious
  • edited May 2018
    IronHerb said:

Without Evra.</blockquote

Indeed, but I was replying to image's implied criticism of the French league as being of inferior quality. I think Marseilles success proves that they are a good team, and by implication that Evra is a good player. since had he not had a personal meltdown and left the club, it is highly likely he would have been part of the winning squad.

• Brighton have pretty well made themselves safe.
  • Yeold

I'm simply saying I can see why we signed him, and I don't get how people can use it as another stick to beat the board with.
  • Yeold

I'm simply saying I can see why we signed him, and I don't get how people can use it as another stick to beat the board with.

Because if the squad wasn't so thin, there wouldn't have been a need to.
  • That's not been the basis of the criticism I've seen today.
  • That’s not simply a board decision but a personal opinion of evra not good enough imo and hasn’t been for a while age catches up with the best of us and in the games he’s been involved not seen anything to prove me wrong at all
  • let's stir up a hornet's nest... I honestly think that Evra has been more use to us over the last three games than Masuaku. This doesn't mean that I rate Evra very highly, it means that Arthur has been a massive disappointment to me. I can't remember a successful dribble, and since he can't or won't defend, that makes him less than useful. Some man management needed from the man who can manage any club in the world ;hmm
  • The good news - I’ve read a piece which says Leicester could be without nine first team players today

The bad news - Vardy and Mahrez are not amongst the nine

;hmm
  • Oh well. Last away day of the season. 2-1 to the Hammers COYI
This discussion has been closed.