West Ham vs Arsenal (A) Match Thread 22.04.2018

Comments

• I was at the Carabao cup game (unfortnately lol )we played a weakened team aswell I think Quina and a few other youngsters played so we won't be going with that approach . I think we have a chance to get a result if we frustrate Arsenal and counter attack.
  • Unsettle them, I think if we set out to play for a draw we will just watch our goal difference plummet. The moment Arsenal get to play their game, total football / possession based / dictate all stages of play, is the moment will be burnt hard and hoping for a lucky bounce to grab us a goal.

The game is there to take the initiative and take the game to Arsenal.

If we take the sit in 2 banks of 4 and defend and hope for that lucky bounce that's just another reason to me that suggests Moyes isn't the man for the job.

Against a rampaging Man City / Liverpool, yeah I understand. Against an Arsenal side who have 2 or 3 wins on the bounce yeah I understand. But against a stuttering Arsenal who have looked average most of the season, I don't see why we shouldn't gamble, people have this penned downed as a loss (might grab a point).
  • edited April 2018
    Last 5 home results: 3-0, 3-1, 3-0, 4-1, 3-2.

Last 5 PL home results: 4-1, 5-1, 0-3 (Citeh), 3-0, 3-2

We could do with some of that stuttering.
  • We could if we actually recruited decent players after selling out.
  • In terms of stuttering - their own fans are not exactly impressed - supported by the frequent sight of empty seats??...
  • baracks

Whatever the fans aren't impressed with at home, it isn't the results.

I can only go on the facts and what I've seen.

Arsenal, at home, are not a team that have recently displayed notable weakness or vulnerability, and certainly not against teams of our level.

On the contrary, to date they have been able to come back from a disappointing away performance with a good home one.
  • edited April 2018
    I have to agree with Grey, Arsenal have been a complete Jekyll and Hyde this season, the 3rd best home form (W13 D2 L2) but 12th away form (W3 D4 L9)

As for stuttering after they lost away to Brighton at the beginning of March they won five games in all competitions, drew at CSKA and lost away at Newcastle.

Some stutter!

A draw would be good and if Wenger is resting key players ahead of the Europa semi then we could get lucky

On empty seats we're shifting into glass houses territory.......
  • Well the fact arsenal will not qualify for the CL other than by winning the Europa would point to the fact that results could well be a factor in many of their fans’ disgruntlement
  • They won't make the CL because of away results, not home results.
  • Agreed but their problems clearly aren't at the Emirates, their problems are just about everywhere outside the N5 postcode area
  • Well I’m of the view that all things considered it’s as good a moment to be playing them home or away. In fact not in many a year, certainly under Wenger, can I think of many better times to be squaring up to them. Of course a draw will be a great result. But as yeold says if we set ourselves up not to lose my opinion is we will come away with nothing
  • Wenger confirms this game is a warm up for their Europa league game....

Come on boys get at them....

http://kumb.com/story.php?id=132396
  • Wenger going end of the season right before their home game with us, you know they will be right up for it now with the gaffer leaving to give him a massive send off. Crowd will be well behind him now.
  • No pressure on them to perform so they could go either way.
  • Well they lost 6-0 at home for his 1000th game, so hopefully they put in the same performance level.....
  • Or could be a relief for some with the wenger out brigade, and we sneak a 1-0
  • Are Arsenal, technically speaking, sacking him?
  • It says he is stepping down so I think he is resigning
  • Probably a "if you don't resign and go, we will sack you" kind of deal.
  • It says he is stepping down so I think he is resigning

That would only be true if he is giving up his right to the remaining last year’s worth of pay on his contract - which I doubt he would do
  • The swingometer of West Ham games means this is a nailed on win..
  • I think this makes the game a lot tougher for us, personally. This has automatically switched the atmosphere from a tense and alienated one to a raucous and sentimental one.
  • Ok, Jorderz,so that’s what will happen in the dressing room, what about the crowd?
  • I think it would it have been best for him to announce this after our game.

It does introduce extra complication elements...

He said this was a training game now the players wand the fans will want to give him a big performance and reception..

Never liked Wenger... ;dog
  • Given our owners liking of recruiting personnel who are on the wane, I think I will go an place a bet on him being our next manager
  • All this attention on Wenger! Someone misread the statement he is actually re-signing. ;whistle
  • Sky Sports Wenger. What an easy day the presenters have got, the same news regurgitated every hour, on the hour since 10 am. ;lol
  • Wenger......no doubt Sullivan’s no.1 target to replace Moyes ;lol ;lol
  • Wenger......no doubt Sullivan’s no.1 target to replace Moyes ;lol ;lol

That’s not funny mr c
This discussion has been closed.