Harry Kane trying to nick a goal, and is he world class?

Comments

• That's not what I'm implying.

My point is that if he wasn't top quality he would be replaced in a heartbeat.
  • Er who with?....
  • C&B

That comment rather seems to concede the point.

Which players, in the world, would Spurs (or any team) rather have than Kane as their No. 9?

I'd say there would be very few considered better than him, and therefore he is in that top 'world class' bracket.
  • CBL when you say
    I just don’t [think] this country has any world class players at all as we will see at the World Cup this year.
    I take you to mean England (and English players) but he is playing in a league chok full of foreign players alongside whom he is being compared.
  • Harry Kane is v good at finding space and finishing and gets great service at Spurs I would class him as one bracket below world class as I don't believe he has proved he is on the same level as Messi /Ronaldo etc who are world class.
  • PLF

Personally, I think that Messi and Ronaldo are a cut above everyone else, and are recognised as two of the best of all time. I don't think that means everyone else is not world class, I think they are just freakishly good and are a level above that.
  • I'd only say Ronaldo and Messi are above world class they are legends of the game
  • I think World Class players can win a game almost single handed, Kane without service struggles to do that . I think he has the potential to get better and if he plays for any big team he will get goals I just think his overall game does not get him into the world class bracket yet. There are plenty of players who I would rather have in my team than Kane as they can make more happen but its all personal perspective in the end :-)
  • If you stick Ronaldo up front and stop the service to him, he can look just as ordinary as Kane, when he doesn't have the service. Where as Messi, when he plays for Barcelona, looks like he does it on his own. When he plays for Argentina, he too can look ordinary.
  • Alderz I think we need a new category for those two, Universal Class maybe.

I don't know about Kane, I think WC is a combination of league and international tournament form.

I would like to see him do well in the summer.
  • C&B

That comment rather seems to concede the point.

Which players, in the world, would Spurs (or any team) rather have than Kane as their No. 9?

I'd say there would be very few considered better than him, and therefore he is in that top 'world class' bracket.

Not in the context of England don’t produce world class players it doesn’t. As others have pointed out Kane gets good service from the team he is in, Eriksen I’d say is key to much of Spurs’ performances. If teams play Spurs in the right way as we did at that last game against Spurs at The Boleyn ground he was largely kept out of the game and that simply wouldn’t happen to someone like Messi.
  • Messi gets kept out of games if the service is stopped.
  • Kane is always in the game when he or Ali take a tumble in the box then he shows his class when he gets up and puts the penno away
  • edited April 2018
    I really hope Kane does well for England in the World Cup cos it'd be good for England and the big European club teams would be looking to nick him from Spurs. Win win. ;biggrin
  • As much as I can't stand him but I think CR7 is better than Messi. And Messi was kept out of the game, yesterday, too. Players like CR7, Messi, Suarez or Müller are kept from showing their class every now and again. If it's not your day it's not your day, it's ot your day.
  • C&B

that simply wouldn’t happen to someone like Messi.
    It does, regularly, when he plays for Argentina.

To the point that he was getting grief and (briefly) retired from international football.

Anyway, as Alderz has suggested, using Ronaldo or Messi as a benchmark is going to mean any player doesn't match up to that standard.

I would say Kane is in the top 10 no 9's in the world, and probably the top 5.

If you disagree, fair enough.
  • Grey top ten I’d agree top five not quite yet
  • I’m with you Cuz ;ok
  • Kane has been awarded the goal at Stoke..

It pays to protest....
  • Will he get compensation for not awarding it in the first place ;whistle
  • Cuz1 said:

Will he get compensation for not awarding it in the first place ;whistle

You mean for the emotional distress? ;hmm

Where there is blame there’s a claim ;wink
  • Will I get the extra 8 points I had that were taken away on Saturday when he was my fantasy captain? No... ;weep I figured that was more important than whether he was given the goal or not ;wink

On the premise that Messi isnt actually a striker and Ronaldo's scoring record suggest he is the best striker of all time.... I can't think of 5 strikers i'd rather have up top than Kane. yes, he gets good service at Spurs but doesn't Ronaldo get anything at Madrid? Who has more strings to their bow than Kane? There's no weakness there.

Some selected forwards who I'd guess are in a few peoples minds when it comes to top strikers

Higuain - 31 this year
    Lewandowski - 30 this year
    Suarez - 31 this year
    Aubameyang - 29 this year
    Aguero - 30 this year

So Kane, who's 25 this year, has a few years on the above. Whilst people like Aguero are great poachers, Kane's all round game (tackling, passing, ball retention etc) allied to ability with both feet and head, IMO, see's him as definitely in the top bracket world class strikers. If he was at a club like Bayern, Madrid, Barcelona, PSG etc he'd probably get better service/more goals...

• World class players do it in the big games and ultimately win things maybe if Kane was playing for Madrid he would, hopefully staying at Spurs he will continue to not win anything ;whistle
  • I think all the arguments going on about Kane,did his shirt touch the ball or not.
    is pathetic. It's a TEAM game and it dosen't matter who scores for the Team.
  • It does when you're on a goal bonus, like he probably is.
  • Hammerex

It matters for the club (and for him) if he ends up as winner of the Golden Boot 3 years in a row.

It will earn the player more (probably), and the club more if they sell him. And he'll be able to negotiate a better contract in future.

I'd sort of agree with you if it was just a one-off goal that didn't have wider ramifications.

But it does.

So I don't.

;biggrin
  • edited April 2018
    Poses the next question is he a team player or glory hunter ? ;whistle
  • I actually look at it from the positive view.

He is a hungry striker that wants as many goals against his name as possible.

The fact that his teams that hunger with the team work his brings to each game is why he is regarded so highly...
  • Cuz1 said:

Poses the next question is he a team player or glory hunter ? ;whistle

They aren't mutually exclusive.

You could argue he'll get MORE glory if the team does well also.