West Ham vs Stoke City (H) Match Thread 16.04.2018

123457»

Comments

• Lukerz said:

We controlled the game whist having no real gameplan to me.

I think 'controlling the game' WAS the game plan.

It seems to me we approached the game with a view of not going helter-skelter and getting caught out, but at the same time getting forward sensibly, not being overly defensive, and trying to create and take chances when we could,

By and large, I think that game plan was adhered to for the majority of the game.

We had the ball in the back of the net 4 times - not the sign of a team playing for a draw, imo.

• alderz said:

IronHerb said:

alderz said:

IronHerb said:

IronHerb said:

Can I just say Noble was absolutely incredible this evening. Kouyate had a great game too, particularly in the first half (he seemed to tire a little in the latter half of the game).

You can of course say it but I personally don't think it was so, re Noble that is.
    You don't think Noble had a good game?
    Not particularly. He went back to his old ways of whenever offered a choice between going backwards and forwards he went back and killed any impetus we may of had. He made a few good passes of course but in general not so good.
    Last night: 90% pass accuracy, 66.7% forward passes
    Whole season: 83% pass accuracy, 63.2% forward passes

Squawka had him as the best performance in the side, Whoscored had him 5th.
    Good for them.
    It's not good or not good, it's just a fact.

If you think he passed backwards whenever he had a choice, then the facts don't support that.
    Didn't say he passed backwards but on many occasions he turned back towards his own goal first before making his pass. This cost us time and impetus.
  • If we had lost yesterday I would have posted the following:

WHU_Championship_in_7_Years
  • Lukerz said:

We controlled the game whist having no real gameplan to me. I thought we were the better side and you would expect that given our players, the fact we were home, the points difference between the sides and the comparative form. But I was expecting far more. The urgency and intensity we played with after going 0-1 down I was expecting from the start, a real "let's go out there and confirm our PL status" type approach, not a nervous, hesitant mentality.

Totally agree about the lack of urgency and intensity. At times some of our players looked like they were playing a training game. Unacceptable in such an important game. Yet again we have failed to capitalize on momentum and move up the table.
  • Part of the problem was the ref was letting the consistent fouling go and the flow of the game suffered 36 fouls in the match last night I think.
  • the match produced 36 fouls, the joint-highest in a Premier League game this season
    ;ok

(BBC match report)
  • Saw a stat on the Sky report saying that was Cresswell’s 7th assist this season, the most in the league for defenders.
  • Lawro gave us a 2-0 win

The bookies are giving almost the same odds for a 1-1 draw or us winning 1-0

1-1 draw it is then......

And tomorrow's lottery numbers are.......

Hammerex - If we can get a point at Stamford Bridge we can easily get a point at the Emirates and if WBA can win Old Trafford anyone can
    Thought we played Man Utd at home ?
  • Opposition view, be aware some fruity language.... But actually come away quiet liking them, could be WH fans... ;lol

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132389
  • "The match produced 36 fouls, the joint-highest in a Premier League game this season".

How many of those fouls were Stoke players falling over forwards as soon as they felt the absolute slightest contact. They mugged Oliver the whole game. ;angry
  • I was in the STB stand near to the Stoke
    supporters. I was disgusted with the way Crouch jumped over the barrier and started a problem with his fans and security!
    At his age he should know better than to entice trouble!
    Also one of our own supporters sitting behind us was rarely watching the game but busy winding up the away crowd!
    Security calmed him down and advised him to go back to his seat.
    I thought security did a very good job before the game. Even when the queue was very long, it didn't take long to get through
    After the match, even with "stop and go",
    I was home within 45 minutes!
  • That Badou NDiaye fella was really quite good. I was very impressed. I think we were linked with him previously.
  • Adam,

We were in the summer. I don't know how serious we were but I do know he said he preferred Stoke, poor lad! ;biggrin
  • Having seen the highlights, I would say the first disallowed goal is so marginally offside, how can the lino see that?
    If that goes in we win by 3 or 4 because Stoke have to open up.

The 3rd disallowed goal should have been a pen as Carroll doesn't need his arm unless he is off balance because he is being pulled back.

• Fouls: I counted 16 from Stoke & 9 from us. The offsides, which were too many, I didn't count. But no really nasty tackles, and a fair game considering the pressure. Strange how people over the years have (rightly) condemned Stoke for their fouling, yet our games against them have mostly been ok. IMO.
This discussion has been closed.