Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IF YOU CAN'T SIGN IN, CLEAR COOKIES FROM YOUR BROWSER CACHE

If you aren't sure how to do that, see this thread: whu606.com/discussion/7162/why-am-i-having-trouble-signing-in

If you still can't log in, email whu***@gmail.com (where *** is replaced by numbers I am sure you can work out.) giving the name of the browser and whether you are on PC or mobile device.
Categories +
Table +
PhysioRoom +

England Team announced

So Joe Hart has made it in to the England squad....
ClaretandBlueforLife

Comments

• That's a squad to be fear in the hearts....

Danny (3 goals this season) Welbeck...

;doh
  • Half of them will pick up mysterious injuries but will be able to play in the PL the week after !
  • how does Joe Hart get in lol
  • I think that's a good squad, personally.

My issues are:
    - I don't know why it's a 27 man squad
    - I don't know why we need 4 keepers
    - I don't know why Joe Gomez, Jake Livermore, Joe Hart and Danny Welbeck are in there

Positives:
    - Tarkowski and Pope absolutely deserve call ups
    - I like Lewis Cook

For those who want it by position:

GK: Butland, Hart, Pickford, Pope
    DC: Gomez, Maguire, Mawson, Jones, Tarkowski
    DR: Walker, Trippier
    DL: Bertrand, Rose, Young
    MC: Cook, Dier, Henderson, Livermore, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wilshere
    FW: Alli, Lallana, Lingard, Rashford, Sterling, Welbeck
    ST: Vardy
  • I thought Gomez was a full back. ;hmm
  • I think it’s our worst squad for a long, long time. No ‘top quality’ players. We will need ‘team spirit’, ‘togetherness’ and ‘effort’ to do well in the summer...and Harry Kane (I’ll wash my mouth out with soap).
  • Forget the World Cup, we'll struggle to get out of the group.
  • edited March 15
    alderz

I agree. Based on the players available it's not far off our best squad imo. Personally I wouldn't have brought Welbeck or Hart. Walcott or Murray would be better options instead of Welbeck. While I would've brought 3 keepers and 1 more outfield player (if that's allowed?)

We have very few good central/defensive minded midfielders to be honest.
  • IronHerb said:

I thought Gomez was a full back. ;hmm

Nope, he's a CB, but he's been playing as a RB for Liverpool a lot this season. Same as how Rice is a CB but often plays elsewhere for us.
    Rocky_BazBuena
  • welove

I don't think Murray would be a good idea, screams Rickie Lambert to me. He's had a great season, but he's not the answer IMO.

If we wanted a target man type then Ashley Barnes would be the one I'd go for (although I don't know how his eligibility is given he played for Austria U21s).
  • Have been watching the CL a lot with with French and Belgium friends this year...

It's depressing how many of the top CL teams have players from these countries.

I think France could pick 3 first 11's that would be better on paper than England...
  • Just got a text Ben Yedder the guy that scored for Sevilla has just made it in the French squad as Coman / Lacazette / Payet / Gamerio / Fekir are injured...

;weep
  • I’m not sure who else he could have picked to be fair.
    BertQuigleyalderz
  • If you want target man you would go Carroll oh forget he’s in Miami injured again ;whistle
  • alderz said:

welove

I don't think Murray would be a good idea, screams Rickie Lambert to me. He's had a great season, but he's not the answer IMO.

If we wanted a target man type then Ashley Barnes would be the one I'd go for (although I don't know how his eligibility is given he played for Austria U21s).

Many people like yourself would be against Glenn Murray playing for England but deep down I genuinely think he'd do well for us and get us goals when we need them most.
  • Oh Carroll, You are such a fool
    But Carroll we need you
    Even though you treat us cruel
    You hurt us, and then you make us cry
    But Carroll we need you
    So go and score, or we may die.

Neil Sedaka
    ClaretandBlueforLife
  • edited March 16
    Southgate knows the drill. Take some youth to the World Cup. When it all goes wrong - blame it on the lack of experience, and you get another two years to prove yourself. Far easier than actually having tactics and motivation.
    ClaretandBlueforLife
  • Hart in the England squad......what?,how? Why????? ;hmm ;hmm

Things like that just make me of the opinion that getting selected is nothing to do with a players current form, simply more a case of being automatically selected.........no wonder we perform so poorly on the International Football Stage.
    Absolutely brainless selection by Southgate.
    Hammereximagelost
  • There is clearly logic to it though. He has very few players with tournament experience and he wants one there. If he’s at the WC as third choice keeper he’s not going to play.
    PrestonHammer
  • With what Russia has done I think we should boycott the WC tbh.
  • That would hardly have an effect considering the short time we will be there anyway. Our absence would go unnoticed
    SuzanneClaretClaretandBlueforLife
  • edited March 16
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DX13H1wW0AA3td1.jpg

Englands new kit for World Cup (stolen from Have I got New for You !)
    MrsGreybillybondsbeardSuzanneClaretimagelostClaretandBlueforLifeKuchinghammer
  • edited March 16
    Thorn indeed,

I was thinking we could get a couple of the big teams like Australia and Panama to join us...
    PrestonHammerSuzanneClaretClaretandBlueforLife
  • Well now, if we threaten to pull out and persuade Germany,France, Italy etc to do the same, fifa might cancel Russia as a World Cup venue... and move it to England! There'll be no trouble at the London Stadium games - our stewards are experts at combatting organised terrorist type trouble ;wink
    imagelostClaretandBlueforLifedeehammer
  • Boycotting a tournament we will be eliminated from within the first 2 weeks anyway XD
    ClaretandBlueforLife
  • Serious question, does anyone genuinely believe we will make it out the group ?
    ClaretandBlueforLife
  • I do
  • Serious question, does anyone genuinely believe we will make it out the group ?

and does anyone care :)
    ClaretandBlueforLifewhupathman
  • They like some cannon fodder for the knockout rounds ;lol
  • No good relying on us for that.